Talk

Advanced search

Chicken Pox and Pregnancy - Help!

(5 Posts)
MrsExpecting Thu 06-Sep-07 16:36:38

Am a regular MNer but have name-changed as it is still early days yet, BUT have discovered that I have no immunity to Chicken pox and am concerned that DS (2 and half) will have sick friends at some point in the next 9 months. How concerned should I be or will it just be a panicky pregnancy the whole way through? - an advice and words of wisdom will be most welcome

lemonaid Thu 06-Sep-07 16:41:40

I think that there's an emergency jab they can give you if you do get exposed -- not ideal, but better than getting chicken pox. Maybe check with your GP about that?

Once you have had the baby, I'd think seriously about getting the regular chicken pox vaccine. Chicken pox is really really nasty if you catch it as an adult.

lemonaid Thu 06-Sep-07 16:45:09

Looked it up.

If you are exposed to chicken pox when pregnant and you're not immune, you should be treated ASAP with varicella-zoster immunoglobulin (VZIG). This should trigger an immune response against the chicken pox virus.

If you actually develop chicken pox during pregnancy you should be treated with intravenous acyclovir (Zovirax) and be observed in the hospital.

MrsExpecting Thu 06-Sep-07 16:51:39

thanks lemonaid - do appreciate the quick response - has anybody been through this themselves?

lailasmum Thu 06-Sep-07 16:53:11

I read the risks to the baby are only up to 20weeks, after that there are no risks to the baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now