Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis getting me down

(34 Posts)
honeymoonmum Thu 06-Sep-07 13:58:47

HI I wondered if anyone else is suffering from hyperemesis as i feel so alone sad I am 8 weeks pregnant and have been vomiting about 3-6 times a day for to weeks and am off work. This a honeymoon baby and the honeymoon is truely OVER!!! Feelin desperate for some advice and to know I will be OK!!! Can anyone help?

missbumpy Thu 06-Sep-07 14:23:53

Sorry you're so down. I didn't suffer with hyperemesis so I can't offer any advice but there was a thread about this a week or so ago...
here

missbumpy Thu 06-Sep-07 14:24:08

Sorry you're so down. I didn't suffer with hyperemesis so I can't offer any advice but there was a thread about this a week or so ago...
here

missbumpy Thu 06-Sep-07 14:24:12

here

Peachy Thu 06-Sep-07 14:26:05

There's another thread on this atm- quite a few of us have ' have ahd it. Bloody nightmare isn't it? (am 10 weeks, strting to lift a tiny bit but spent today in tears as its stopping me 'coping' with other issues with ds3)

mummydoc Thu 06-Sep-07 14:50:37

hi, i really symapthise, had it shockingly both pregnancies, withthe second i wised up to eating high carb/high sugar foods ( awful for diet/wt gain etc but hey who cares ) even though they made me feel sick while getting them down . My consultant reccommended coffee with 4 shock sugars. Basically i vomited at the smell of coffee and had to hol dmy nose to drink it - it was like treacle but it worked. also good was coke ( full sugar) , lucazade and chees sandwhiches, all of which made me retch at thought but once down helped. try this every 2 hrs. In my first preganncy i tried all the ginger products you can think of, prescription meds and had an iv drip most days at the hospital i was working at...none of which worked.

mummydoc Thu 06-Sep-07 14:52:19

oh forgot aswell acupuncture helped a bit in first pregnancy but not in second - guess it is worth a try.

Eve Thu 06-Sep-07 15:00:09

this kept me sane as I had severe hyperemesis through both my pregananices.

www.morningwell.co.uk/

Mr Herd who led the NHS research study was my consultant and I have a huge amount of respect for him.

ConnorTraceptive Thu 06-Sep-07 15:08:30

oh honey you have my toatl sympathy, I'm just coming out the other side of hyperemesis it's a true nightmare. I got do down and desperate I just didn't think I could see the pregnancy through.

Got lots of support on MN there seems to be qite a lot of folks that have suffered it on here so keep posting.

Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

It's good you are off work, lots of rest is important.

It was the longest 12 weeks of my life you really do have my symapthy.

susiemj Thu 06-Sep-07 15:15:06

Hi Honeymoonmum,
Sorry to hear you're feeling down. I felt exactly the same especially in the early stages. You're not alone although as this is quite a rare condition and many people haven't heard of it you can FEEL that way. I'm glad you're off work as this really helps me. 'Desperate' was an accurate description of me at your stage, but I'm not any more.

I put this on the other thread, but it's worth saying again as it has really helped me. There's a support group with whom you can exchange emails (I'm a member). They really understand and you can have a good old moan or whatever you feel like. There's lots of advice and TIPS too if you flick back through past posts. You can find it at www.hyperemesis.org or Google Blooming Awful. I really do recommend it.

Some of my top tips
- Cold food including iced water, ice cream, lucozade ice cubes.
- Meal replacement drinks such as Complan.
- Get some anti-nausea medication from your GP. There are safe ones and don't take no for an answer of you want to take medication. Back up information available on the Blooming Awful website.
- don't eat and drink at the same time.
- rest as much as you possibly can.
- all I really eat is the above plus brown bread and fruit, but find you'll find your own 'safe' things.

Most people, but not all, are feeling a bit better by 12-14 weeks and much better by 16. Seems like an age now but take each day as it comes. Take care of yourself.

susiemj Thu 06-Sep-07 15:17:26

Oh. And keep eating and drinking even if you throw it up. You do absorb something apparently. Full sugar Coke is good too. Keep posting how you're doing.

ConnorTraceptive Thu 06-Sep-07 15:19:03

sounds gross but the best time to eat or drink something is straight after you have been sick I found that i was more likely to keep it down.

although i admit at my worst i gave up trying which wasn't very sensible

ThursdayNext Thu 06-Sep-07 15:22:37

It's so miserable, isn't it?
Have you been to your GP yet? I found mine very helpful, even if only for some sympathy!
Keep trying to drink and eat a little bit regularly if you possibly can
Strangely, I found I actually felt better when I struggled in to work, once I made it in. Seemed to feel much worse sitting at home thinking about feeling sick. But when it's really bad, you just can't work anyway.

Excuse the hijack,
ConnorTraceptive, so glad to see you're feeling better. I was worried about you (in a wierd, virtual way). Are you managing to hang out with your toddler and enjoy life again?

ConnorTraceptive Thu 06-Sep-07 15:25:46

ahh thursday that's very nice of you smile

Am managing to do a bit more now and am making the effort to get out and about. It does still take quite a bit of effort but I always feel better for going somewhere.

ThursdayNext Thu 06-Sep-07 15:38:20

Connor your symptoms sounded just like mine, and I think I'm just a few weeks more pregnant than you. But I have the luxury of a DP who only works part-time, and my mum helped look after DS when I was really ill, so I wasn't stuggling to look after a toddler in the worst stages. You really sounded like you were in trouble, which I would have been if I wasn't lucky enough to have so much help.
Apologies again for the hijack, honeymoonmum.

ConnorTraceptive Thu 06-Sep-07 15:46:16

<continues hijack>

It did get pretty desperate, even though family and friends have been wonderful. At one point I considered a termination, even booked one - don't want to even think what that says about me sad

Have your symptoms gone now thursday?

12lbnaturally Thu 06-Sep-07 15:57:12

I had it bad with my first two, in and out of hospital on drips etc. The only thing that helped was having anti-sickness suppositories or laying flat in bed and not moving my head. (very impractical)

Having the suppositories meant I could actually get out of bed without throwing up every half hour.Taking the medication didn't affect the babies, they were perfectly normal and huge!

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 06-Sep-07 16:09:19

Connor, that you considered a termination doesn't say anything about you, it says a lot about what a godawful illness HG is.
sad

TwitmonstEr Thu 06-Sep-07 16:21:33

I had this with ds1 and 2 and I completely 'get' how awful and isolating it can be.
I found a routine helped me with ds1 but not as much with ds2, flat full sugar coke or lemonade helped me turn the corner with them both.
With dd and this pregnancy I found eating the high calorie high carb/sugar diet really helped right from the off, lucozade tablets were one of my main forms of 'food' with dd.

I wish you luck, and it will eventually get better, sooner or later. I was sick all through with ds1, but only to 6/7 months with ds2. Hopefully you'll turn the 'magic' 16-20 weeks and it'll go.

ThursdayNext Thu 06-Sep-07 16:34:29

(sorry again)
Connor, like Kathy said, I don't think that says anything about you other than that you were really ill.
I had a scan at 8 weeks, DP was excited to see the heartbeat while I really couldn't care less, and just wished they would leave me alone so I could go to sleep.
It's such a strange sort of illness, in that you are really ill and feel truly terrible but it's also just a kind of exaggeration of normal pregnancy symptoms, so I think it's much harder to accept that it's impossible to carry on looking after your child for the worst bit. I think it can make you feel like a choice between failing the child you already have and love, and failing a blob that isn't yet a person. And anyway, you can't make rational decisions when you're brain is all fuzzy from lack of food and dehydration.

I can eat all sorts of things now, it's very exciting! It feels fantastic to be almost normal, so glad to be able to enjoy pregnancy and look forward to a new baby.

Peachy Thu 06-Sep-07 17:04:34

Connor its ays ZILCH about you! Its even crossed my mind this time round although as the time it wears off comes into view its a bit easier. Its not something i've admitted to anyone though. there's an entire American site apaprently dedicated to peopple who ahve terminated for HG- Shadowlands. Haven't been on there but know it exists.

had a lovely e-mail from a lady from the other (not b/awful_ HG charity offering to ome cook for us. Ic an't accept as myA SD ds1 won't have vissitors in the house, but she was so kind it reduced me to tears- again.

honeymoonmum Thu 06-Sep-07 21:09:34

Thanks everyone, I agree that considering terminations ays nothing bad about you as i have told my husband i think i want one twice in two weeks-what a wimp!!!!!!! I think it is a natural survival instinct and how can you feel attatched to somthing that makes you so ill and you have not seen (i have not had a scan yet) and in my case did not plan. Having said that I do really want this baby.

Thanks for all the tips. Accupuncture has done nothing as of yet but only had one session. Not seen my GP for two weeks as she said she couldn't give me medication so early on in pregnancy.

Will think about seeing her next week if I still feel so bad.

Thanks for all the messages and support!

honeymoonmum Thu 06-Sep-07 21:11:32

ps what does ds stand for?!!!!

TheMadHouse Thu 06-Sep-07 21:20:31

Your doctor is not right with the anti-nausea mdication. I was on from about week 6 with my first preganancy and week two with my second.

I actually had my medication by injection which my DH gave me 3 times a day.

Both my boys have no ill effects that we can tell and were good sizes 7'2 and 7'4. It is key to keep your fluid up for both you ad the baby.

Please ask for a referal to a consultant if you are really suffering.

I hope you feel better soon.

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 06-Sep-07 21:31:56

Some GPs know nothing about hyperemesis. The evidence suggests that the earlier you treat it, the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now