Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

SPD - What to expect?

(20 Posts)
susiemj Thu 06-Sep-07 12:35:15

Hi everyone,

I don't want to overtake Licey's strand, but I've just been diagnosed with SPD and I've been a bit alarmed by information I've read on the internet. I had a locum midwife so didn't chat as much as I would with my normal one.

It's quite mild at the moment. Might it stay that way? Does it mean that labour is going to be extra painful? And, what's bothering me most, does it mean I'm likely to need a caesarian? I'd really rather not have one...

Any answers would be very gratefully received! I already have Hyperemesis and the whole thing is beginning to get me down... THOUGH Baby seems to be doing extremely well, for which I'm grateful. Rather problems with me than her!

strawberry Thu 06-Sep-07 12:46:39

Hi Susie. How may weeks are you?
I had really bad SPD throughout both pregnancies. Had normal deliveries and SPD completely disappeared after the births. I found a support belt helped to reduce the weight on my pelvis - have you got one of these? Also try searching the Mumsnet archives for more info on SPD. HTH!

susiemj Thu 06-Sep-07 12:58:57

Hi Strawberry,

Nice to know you delivered normally. Did the SPD continue after or in between births?

I'm 22 weeks pregnant. I'm also housebound due to hyperemesis and the midwife said the support belt isn't much help if you're sitting down a lot. Is this true?

strawberry Thu 06-Sep-07 13:09:01

I don't remeber having any SPD when not pg. For most people, once baby is delivered, the SPD goes away.

The main thing at the birth is to avoid stirrups and so you should mention SPD when you go into labour and if interventions are required. I gave birth to DS2 standing up as recommended by midwife to minimise stretching the pelvis any further.

I guess if you are sitting down a lot the belt may not help. I think I remember something about not putting your feet up without good support under your legs as this puts extra pressure on pelvis? Does that make sense?

totaleclipse Thu 06-Sep-07 13:14:05

Have you been given any tips on getting comfy in bed? sleep on your side, knees brought up and bent, place one or two pillows between your knees, this helps keep your pelvis stable, it helps to put a couple behind your back too.

lisad123 Thu 06-Sep-07 14:23:18

I would defo look at the other SPD post for the tips on how to manage.
SPD is no reason for needing a C section, you will have to keep an eye on how far you can open your legs and stick to it.
Your MW was right the belt is only helpful for the SPD when standing or walking. If your sitting make sure you have a supportive chair and a pillow behind you.

My SPD started at 12 weeks and have to say it is pretty bad right now and im stuck in the house alot Im 35 weeks and you do learn to deal with it. Get an exserise ball to sit on, it does wonders

Good luck

uptomyeyes Thu 06-Sep-07 14:35:13

I had 3 c-sections for transverse lie so I can't advise on the birth aspect of your question however I did have bad SPD in my second pregnancy - from about 24 weeks. WHilst it wasn't great - I did at least know that it was time bound and it did end as soon as I had given birth to DS2. It started again in my last pregnancy early on - circa 17 weeks - I was distraught thinking I was going to spend the next 5 months in agony, but it just didn't develop into anything like what I had in my previous pregnany. I was a little creaky, especially in bed and getting up in the morning but that was all. So it can be relatively minor - I did try to keep fit though doing lots of walking I think this may have helped. I don't know what hyperemesis is and whether that exacerbates SPD sorry

catkinisamummynow Thu 06-Sep-07 14:45:22

I had SPD in the latter part of my 1st pregnancy. My job was fairly physical and I ended up leaving early because the SPD was made worse and I was finding it difficult to walk/move/sit etc.
However... really relaxing at home and not doing much apart from pottering around house helped enormously and my symptoms were relieved a great deal (obviously this info will be of no help if you're not going to get the opportunity to do this but do try if you can!!)
I ended up in hospital for 2 wks prior to being induced because of pre-eclampsia and so the bed rest probably helped too but my labour was absolutely fine and the SPD didn't cause any problems. There was no sign of it after the birth either!

I had a physio support belt but felt that as I had to sit down an awful lot because of the pain, the belt was really no use and that a huge bit of tubigrip around my middle was a much better support and didn't dig in when sitting.

Hope you don't find it too debilitating and remember that there's always someone to answer questions on here!!

mandler Thu 06-Sep-07 14:48:39

Hi Susie. I have had SPD since 19 weeks, am now 34 weeks and it hasn't gotten too much worse. I think I am probably going to have a sore few weeks to birth but that seems to be expected SPD or no SPD!
I managed it through all the tips below, legs together in and out of the car, when turning over in bed, pillow between knees, lots of pelvic floor exercises. I saw a physio who didn't really do much but gave me a few exercises to strengthen tummy muscles (haven't continued them though, really lazy!) and also had a couple of sessions of osteo.
So try a bit of everything!
I am a bit scared of labour too, but most people on these boards had fairly uneventful (well SPD-related anyway!) experiences so fingers crossed we will be the same.
Good luck - and legs together!

susiemj Thu 06-Sep-07 17:22:54

Ooo! Thanks for the encouraging messages! I got really upset after trying to do some 'research' on the internet. It made it look so threatening and awful. I should have known to try here first. Soemtimes the internet is a friend and sometimes definitely not. Fingers crossed it won't get any worse for me or you. At least I won't burst into tears all over my husband when he comes home from work tonight thanks to you all - which was definitely on the cards earlier. Good luck to the two ladies who are currently pregnant and have SPD and thanks to all again. I feel much better.

rubydarling Thu 06-Sep-07 22:16:14

Hi Susie- don't give up. There's loads that you can do to help yourself. I don't have full-blown SPD, but a fair bit of pelvic discomfort. My ante-natal yoga teacher has given me loads of advice which really really helps- most of it I'm sure is somewhere on mumsnet, or others on this thread. The ones which help me are- sleep with a pillow or block under your top knee, don't cross your legs, don't get up from kneeling one knee at a time, get up and move around every 45 mins or so otherwise I get locked in position, sit down to put on pants, socks etc, don't take big strides, try not to tip your pelvis... etc. I got a good book on the Alexander technique too, which I swear by. Of course I'm not so stupid to say you can cure it, but put it this way, when I forget the advice on how to hold my body, I'm in hobbling agony, but otherwise it's liveable. Good luck!

susiemj Fri 07-Sep-07 13:22:36

Thankc. I've just got an appointment for physio which was pretty speedy. I'm very relieved by your experiences and tips. I might try osteopathy if the physio is no good.
x

susiemj Fri 07-Sep-07 13:41:36

O! I also meant to ask. Did / do you take paracetamol? I've taken them at night as I couldn't sleep without the past couple of nights. I've just taken one this morning and I'm feeling a bit like I shouldn't take them during the day. Mostly because then you can't tell what's painful and what's not - a good way of not doing things that will do you damage I think. What do you think?

ib Fri 07-Sep-07 14:02:10

I had spd and had a home water birth. No problem.

Tbh my morning sickness was pretty bad so I was fairly immobile for a bit and my spd got really bad. I then started doing gentle exercise (and NO stretching) - particularly pfe and it got loads better.

BetaMummy Fri 07-Sep-07 14:02:31

I thought you might like to hear some potential good news....I got SPD with my second pregnancy and at around 5 months pregnant it was getting fairly bad (painful to walk, virtually impoosible to turn over in bed). I was starting to panic about how bad I might get in the later months and how on earth I was going to give birth, but it actually improved a lot towards the end to the extent that I wasn't aware of it during labour (water birth with no pain relief) and it was totally gone afterwards. I know this isn't the usual way with SPD and many people find it getting worse towards the end, but you might be lucky like I was.

littleonekel Fri 07-Sep-07 14:19:11

Hi

I was diagnosed with SPD at about 28 weeks, now 38 weeks, it has been awful and i was given crutches by the physio as walking was impossible. nightimes also v. painful but i used a pillow between my knees and a tubigrip around my torso, both of which were really helpful. i also feel that it has improved in recent weeks as my pregnancy has progressed. I have been more or less doing absolutely nothing which really does get me down, but at least the pain subsides. i would say that rest is the best thing. My MW told me it will disappear when i go into labour due to the racing of hormones and no need for me to be managed any differently. Make sure you have SPD written on your notes. I am hoping for a water birth too which is suppossed to be excellent esp for SPD. HTH

kiansmum Fri 07-Sep-07 18:42:11

Hi,
I had really bad SPD earlier in my pregnancy and needed crutches and a support belt. However, since babys head has become engaged it's acting as a splint to my pelvis and, touch wood, i'm fine at the mo. I'm now 36+3 and was lucky babys head engaged early on as she's my 4th!!
She is however OP but that's a different story.hmm
Hopefully yours'll get better too.
Good luck with everything.

ejt1764 Fri 07-Sep-07 18:52:10

I am 36 weeks, and suffering with spd too...

I have been given an analgesia pathway by the physio team (developed in conjunction with their anaesthetics team), and they suggest that you should take the paracetemol regularly, as it will work much better if you're not constantly going into peaks and troughs.

I couldn't take paracetemol (also suffered with hyperemesis) normally, but my GP prescribed some paracetemol suppositories. I've since moved on from there and am on seriously heavy duty pain medication now ...

this website has probably the best (and least unecessarily scary) information.

As for your worries about having to have a C Section, they advise against - the hormones you release by going into labour apparently speed up the recovery process- so avoid if humanly possible ... and press to have a water birth.

cocolepew Fri 07-Sep-07 18:54:11

Hi, I had bad SPD with second preg, crutches etc. I was taken into hosp. for a few days and they gave me ibrufen(sp?). Birth was fine, no pain , apart from what you would expect. After I went to an oestopath. It also helps if you have trouble getting out of your car to sit on a plastic bag and swivel round with your legs together. Good luck.

susiemj Fri 07-Sep-07 20:38:33

Hi everyone. Thanks for all your reassurance. I thought this was DEFINITELY going to be a nightmare, but it seems much more manageable now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: