Talk

Advanced search

At what point is it not a problem?

(9 Posts)
lisad123 Tue 04-Sep-07 17:20:40

im currently 35 weeks with my DD2. Baby is already fully engaged and contractions are pretty regular although no closer than 15 mins and not getting any stronger.
my question is at what point do LO stop needing steriod injections if they are born early?
I have been and the advice was to go home and rest, but general feeling from MW is it wont be long. I had my DD at 37 weeks and i know she didnt need any injections.

many thanks
Lisa

MerlinsBeard Tue 04-Sep-07 17:23:03

i think 37 weeks is counted as full term so would imagine that its somewhere around then that they stop needing the injection.

Of coursei could be totally and utterly wrong

Peachy Tue 04-Sep-07 17:23:11

It varies according to the baby really, some hospitals consider 37 weeks to be full term and most 36 weekers I know haven't needed any help at all- but like with all things, some 42 weekers need help too.

if you've beens ent home by MW thats a good sign atm, just make sure you keep in touch if things progress

Good luck

Peachy Tue 04-Sep-07 17:25:56

pregnancy.about.com/cs/pretermlabor/a/pretermnews.htm this suggest 24 - 34 weeks for steroids

lisad123 Tue 04-Sep-07 17:32:13

Thanks, they are saying she will be little but my last one was only 5lb but healthy. My understanding is steriods need 2 lots 12 hours apart, so i guess it would be pretty useless giving them if i labour tonight. God Ihope not!
L

Peachy Tue 04-Sep-07 17:34:45

My first was just over 5lbs, I love the little ones (As longas they are healthy of course).

Good luck, you'll probably be here at 42 weeks whiinging about curries and pineapple LOL

whomovedmychocolate Tue 04-Sep-07 17:36:56

Lisa - after you reach 36 weeks they don't tend to bother with steroids unless they think there may be an issue. Ooh how exciting for you. Hope you get to 37 weeks though - otherwise your LO will be technically a preemie.

Yes steroids will only be given pre 32-34 weeks as after that the lungs are fully mature in most premmies.

*fully mature in the sense that they have enough surfactant (which is what is stimulated by the steroids IIRC) for them to breath alone.

I am sure that there may well technically be further maturation going on after this before anyone criticises my accuracy grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now