Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

10 days overdue and apparently cervix not ready!! Any advice?

(9 Posts)
kellyjanepink Tue 04-Sep-07 10:18:51

Hi,

Sorry if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find a recent one, this is the first time I've posted.
I am 10 days overdue today which I know isn't a problem in itself, I had my midwife check yesterday and she attempted to do a sweep, which was very painful. My cervix is still very posterior when she managed to get to it she said that the outer opening is about 1cm open but the inner opening is shut and she said that I am starting to efface. She also said that in her opinion there was no way I would be going into labour in the next week. I feel really discouraged by everything and just wondered if any one had any experience of all this.

omotunde Tue 04-Sep-07 14:00:42

Sorry to hear about your discouraging story. i was never overdue and i made sure of it. based on family and friends story, the best thing to do is to have a gentle but passionate sex this might be very uncomfortable but it really works because of how the membrane works. also you may attempt to have a very spicy meal like vindaloo. and after go for a walk. hopefully that will help. Goodluck wink

papilion Tue 04-Sep-07 14:58:51

That was a bit arrogant of the midwife, but then we are all entitled to our opinion.

Please don't be discouraged.

A woman's cervis is a bit like a man!!!!!!
Does what it wants,when it wants..... and sometimes does nothing at all despite an awful lot of encouragement.

After many years in the profession I can only say that midwifery is predictably unpredictable.

lulumama Tue 04-Sep-07 15:07:52

is this your first baby?

lots of sex & nipple stimulation can help to ripen the cervix and encourage contractions

and an encouraging word can be worth so much

your cervix is starting to open, and is starting thin out, and a lot can change in a couple of days

try a nice warm bath this evening, let go of any fears and worries, and visualise your cervix opening and your baby moving down ready for birth

lot to be said for positivity

think good, strong birthy thoughts

TheBlonde Tue 04-Sep-07 15:12:52

I had a similar experience with my first - painful sweep at 10 days or so over, cervix not dilated at all
Baby still arrived before induction

Would recommend sex! worked for me
Otherwise reflexology

Notquitegrownup Tue 04-Sep-07 15:14:22

Raspberry tea?

Miaou Tue 04-Sep-07 15:17:09

don't worry kelly, it may all kick off anyway! I had a sweep and was told my cervix was high and posterior, but went into labour later the same day - sometimes it doesn't take much to get things moving smile

kellyjanepink Tue 04-Sep-07 16:12:28

Thank you all for being so nice

It is my first baby so not really surprised that I'm overdue but just felt that it was a bit off hand to say there's no way I'll go in to labour this week. You're right lulumama an encouraging word is worth a lot. I'm surprised as I'm booked with an independent midwife for the very reason that I wanted things to be a bit more encouraging.

I have been drinking raspberry leaf tea and have tried sex and reflexology and now just trying to stay calm about everything.

My midwife offered me another sweep in a week but I'm not sure I want one. This last one just caused me a night of discomfort but nothing seems to have moved and haven't had any show as yet.
I think it was all topped off when she said that even if I had an induction at the moment it would fail. I don't want to be induced but at least that was my worst case scenario. Now I feel a bit like I'm in limbo

lulumama Tue 04-Sep-07 16:14:33

none of us can tell you for sure you will go into labour this week, but you might aswell think it!! did the women in your family go over their due dates? some women need to carry their babies to 42 - 43 weeks.. as long as baby is happy in there, then he /she is better off in utero

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: