Talk

Advanced search

Whooping cough help

(5 Posts)
Lcw29 Sat 15-Feb-20 08:35:52

I think myself and my son have it. We're both vaccinated but have the symptoms. I'm going to attempt to speak to a gp today via 111. Last couple of days my son has had bouts of coughing leading to mucus type sick and gasping for air then yesterday evening I had the same.

Really worried it will effect my baby too as I'm 38 weeks and meant to have a sweep Monday.... anyone had whooping cough in pregnancy?

Bol87 Sat 15-Feb-20 10:22:11

Ah OP, I keep stumbling across your posts, you aren’t having a great time at the moment are you? You seem very anxious.

Whooping cough has a really distinctive sound, YouTube it & you can’t miss it! It sounds awful. The end of the cough is a very distinctive whoop, hence the name! You & your son would both be struggling for breaths, it won’t just stop & go away on its own or only be on certain coughing fits. It’ll be continuous.

I can’t imagine it’s great in pregnancy so if you really think you have it, it needs to be urgent 111!

Lcw29 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:53:52

I know I'm an anxious pregnant ball lol

I'm waiting for a doctor to ring me so we will see. Might just be a nasty virus maybe

wonderrotunda Sat 15-Feb-20 12:19:38

The sound for adult whooping cough and child are very different. Adults don’t really ‘whoop’. When I had it the first thing that happened (before the coughing began) was that I couldn’t sing (along to music) my singing voice failed but my speaking voice was fine

RoseAndRose Sat 15-Feb-20 12:50:09

Did you have the jab as recommended in pregnancy?

If not, then if this is whooping cough it is a blessing in disguise because your body will produce antibodies which will transfer to your baby and have some protective effect until old enough to have their own jabs. The jab essentially does the same thing, more predictably and without the disease symptoms.

I honestly e you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »