Talk

Advanced search

Would it be safe to lose weight before I have my baby

(6 Posts)
Babyg1995 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:46:17

Ok so I'm 32 weeks pregnant with DC 3 I've put on a whopping 4 stone by not exercising any more I have spd and craving nothing but carbs I'm really ashamed and dreading my weight being taking when I go for my ecs consultation as I know the doctor and midwife will be concered and shocked .
The weight is now really effecting my body my knees ect are painful .
My community midwife doesn't seem concerned but says I do have alot of fluid retention no preeclampsia I'm just really worried about my health and the baby's and worried being so over weight will effect my recovery from the c section would it be safe for me to try and lose a few pounds in the next 7 weeks ?

CoolNoMore Sat 15-Feb-20 02:28:54

The only people to advise you on this should be medical professionals with access to all your info. I know weight gain is desperately scary, not to mention a pain the bum (and knees) but at 32 weeks you shouldn't be restricting your food (unless you literally just cut out the junk but are still eating lots of nutritious food 5-6 times a day). Aim to eat healthily, absolutely, but don't aim to lose weight without careful guidance from a medical professional. If you've got bad fluid retention, cake might not be the problem! Speak to them asap.

Once the baby comes, if you can breastfeed you may well find the weight is much easier to shift that you had thought it would be. This is difficult, but temporary situation. Stay strong! Eat (good) food!

Frenchw1fe Sat 15-Feb-20 02:45:21

My sil was overweight at the start of her pregnancy and was given a diet to follow which she really enjoyed and was healthy for her and the baby.
This is many years ago now. The mw supported her and monitored her weight.
I'm sure if you just eat healthily you will be fine but best to get advise.

Frenchw1fe Sat 15-Feb-20 02:47:02

*advice

Wudgy Sat 15-Feb-20 09:25:25

Hi just to reassure you I was in the normal to slightly overweight bmi at start of my first pregnancy , gained 5 stone in pregnancy ( 3 stone gained in last 8 weeks !) however had high blood pressure and so so much fluid they put down the excess gain to the fluid and swelling ( which for me then became pre ecla) however at no point in all my many appointments did anyone try make me feel bad or guilty for the gain and said some women just gain a lot. I was eating a standard diet calorie wise also. So please go easy on yourself . Now in pregnancy two I have put on 10 lbs since finding out I was pregnant but I know that’s greed of Christmas a two week AL holiday etc! My advice is just take each day separately and eat healthy as you can not so you can lose weight but so you can know you are feeding your baby and body the best nutrients ready for giving birth x good luck with the rest of your pregnancy x

Babyg1995 Sat 15-Feb-20 11:56:51

Thank you all for your replys it has reassured me I have asked midwife a few times for advice but I never get a clear answear on it .
I think I'm worried about consultation because my last pregnancy I put on 3 stone and the midwife I seen at hospital wasnt impressed basically told me not to put on any more weight in hoping since that was 10 years ago it's a different midwife this time .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »