Talk

Advanced search

How to meet other mums when you have anxiety

(4 Posts)
Lunamoon4 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:03:01

Hi everyone, I hope someone can give me some ideas smile

I’m 26 and pregnant with my first baby (14 weeks), I don’t have a lot of close friends as it is, and I’m the first of my small group to have a baby.

I’ve been feeling really lonely and spending a lot of time on this forum as I don’t really have anyone to speak to about my pregnancy or symptoms or how I’m feeling ( other than my Fiance who is amazing but also has no idea about this as it’s our first baby smile ).

Is anyone else the same? Did you manage to meet and speak to other people, make friends etc?

I have social anxiety just to make it more difficult, but I really would like to try push myself! I feel so unprepared as I have never even really been around babies before as my family were all older than me, so I’m worried if I don’t speak to other mums I’m gonna be totally useless!

Bookworm83 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:09:08

OP, I don't really have any advice but I'll follow this thread as I'm in the same boat as you. I have social anxiety, first baby, currently 33+4 so not long to go.
I have one friend who has kids but she lives 35 miles away so don't really see her much. No family around, just me and my husband.
Been to a birthing class but everyone there just kept to themselves/ their partners so I don't know how people make friends in these groups.
Would love to hear some tips.

MeadowHay Fri 14-Feb-20 21:16:06

I'm the same age as you and my DD is 1 and a half. I have a lovely little circle of mum friends. I met them at baby groups at children's centres, and through the app Mush. I only had a few friends before and most of them lived in different cities and none had kids. I have an anxiety disorder but I just forced myself to go to things, and I was always glad I did. My DD is 'spirited'/'high needs' and is much happier and easier to care for the more we are out and about and always has been. I was really lonely the first 6 months or so of her life too, it was much better once I had my little gang of mum friends.

abbs1 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:39:24

Hi OP, I'm in the same situation as you and 33+2 weeks. My only friend lives 50 miles away so I only see her once every few months with her little boy who is nearly one. I'm very lonely apart from my husband but he is out working all day. I dont really have much family either so I'm looking to see if there are any groups as I cant afford NCT classes but I dont want to become isolated when my little one comes. There dont seem to be any really in my area advertised but will keep looking. I suffer badly with social anxiety but I'm desperate for friends. I've moved so much and my other friends all no longer talk to me which is really sad so I'm hoping I find new friends but if anyone has help and advice on how that would be fab!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »