Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Miscarriage - is it less common after having already a baby or did I imagine that?

(17 Posts)
goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:10:23

Hi all,

Just got a BFP and currently 5 weeks pregnant.

Had a MC 3 years ago when TTC.

Had healthy DD May 06.

Friend recently had MC at 8 weeks. I know from the reading I did 3 years ago how very common MC is, but was just wondering, did I read that it's LESS common if you have already had a baby, cos your body has already been through a pregancy once before and is therefore more used to dealing with it?????

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to enjoy the first 12 weeks without this worry hmm

whomovedmychocolate Mon 03-Sep-07 21:14:49

I think the stat you are thinking of is the one that first pregnancies often miscarry and more often than not it's before the mum to be realises she's pregnant. I can't remember where I read that though.

The fact that you've successfully produced before is on your side, secondary infertility and secondary miscarriage can happen but the first doesn't seem to apply to you and the latter one can do nothing about anyway, so BE HAPPY you are going to have a baby!

oxocube Mon 03-Sep-07 21:18:25

I always thought the same as you GCG - I had 2 mc before my kids after TTC for almost 2 years and then went on to have 3 successful pregnancies, albeit with bleeding for the first 3 months. Congratulations and enjoy!

goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:18:43

awww, thanks choc girl!

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:18:48

I had 2 DS's then a mmc - sorry

There is a pregnancy after m/c thread which has ben very supportive to me (and others), i am v nearly 12 weeks and couoldn't have got thru without the lovely ladies on there

goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:19:26

and oxocube, that's good to know too!!!

goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:21:00

is a mmc a missed MC? That's what scares me the most, cos you can't even be reassured by no bleeding. A friend had one and was told at 12 week scan, how awful sad

goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:21:46

I will check out the pregnancy after MC thread thanks

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:22:48

yeah, thats where i am at at the moment GCG! tbh, i don't think the fear ever goes away when you have had a mc

theamazingshrinkingmummy Mon 03-Sep-07 21:23:07

GCG - I was told by the hospital that MMC was almost always detectable by a rapid plummet in HCG level within the first eight weeks of pregnancy - so I did regular tests when I got nervous and as long as I could see that dark blue line, I started to breathe again.

fettleandminifettle Mon 03-Sep-07 21:24:21

Come over and join the pg after mc thread.

I had healthy DD 3.5 years ago, then a mmc and then a very early mc, then conceived within 2 weeks after that - now due in under 4 weeks!!

Try and enjoy your pregnancy and not to worry, although we know how hard that can be.

HTH
smile

goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:26:31

MOM- loads of luck with your scan, when is it??

shrinking- good idea, think I will go and stock up on some PG tests!!!!!

I think cos I am only 5 weeks, not really getting symptoms yet anyway, will feel happier when they kick in. Got fuller boobs, so they get a quick prod and squeeze everytime I go into loo at work smile

MerlinsBeard Mon 03-Sep-07 21:28:29

the date for it hasn't come thru yet but am 12 weeks on wednesday. its been a very hard 12 weeks(well, 8 but you know what i mean!)but the amount of m/c compared to successful pregnancies is low.

theamazingshrinkingmummy Mon 03-Sep-07 21:33:36

GCG - get them on ebay - much cheaper. Or there's somewhere else that does them hang on I'll find the link.....

theamazingshrinkingmummy Mon 03-Sep-07 21:35:16

Here

goodcatholicgirl Mon 03-Sep-07 21:44:00

wow shrinking, that's cheap!!! Thanks!

Does anyone know if taking temp is a good sign that all is still well, i.e. if it's still elevated. Does it stay elevated til you give birth hmm ?!!!!!!!!!!

theamazingshrinkingmummy Mon 03-Sep-07 21:54:49

Well my temperature was a steady 37 throughout except for when I had a cold so I don't think so no. TBH though I could always tell I was still pregnant because of the amount of globby CM hitting my gussets (sorry TMI but true blush).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: