Talk

Advanced search

25hCG blood test. Positive urine tests. Panicking.

(14 Posts)
smac96 Wed 12-Feb-20 16:12:53

Several positive home tests later, I convinced myself (after a digital clear blue that was positive 1-2 wks) that I am pregnant.

Booked emergency meds review as on a lot of anxiety medication (hold on to that diagnosed anxiety, I'll get to it...). At meds review, dr referred me to EPAC, where I was sent straight away for bloods. Results came back today and they're at 25hCG, which I was told is positive, but I have to go back tomorrow for additional blood tests to ensure that the hCG is going up and all is good as 25 is on the borderline.

BUT, diagnosed anxiety is taking over. I'm an absolute mess. Ive obviously told my partner about the pregnancy (this baby was so so so wanted, so we're massively excited!) and now I'm freaking out incase it's a mistake and I've got to shoot him down.

Has anybody had the low hCG in very very early pregnancy?! How did it pan out?!

(I know that I could just wait for results but I've not slept for 2 nights and I can't get it off my mind. Plus the dr has taken my anxiety meds off me as they're too high risk for baby so I'm going cold turkey!)

Chooklass Wed 12-Feb-20 20:37:00

Hi @smac96 - do you know how many days past ovulation (dpo) you are? I don't have much to compare, but when I got bloods done recently on 14dpo (after IVF) I was told they would like it to be over 50, but that anything over 5 was still pregnant. When will you hear? Going cold turkey must be scary - have you got supportive family and friends around?

smac96 Wed 12-Feb-20 20:47:38

Hey @chooklass thanks for responding!
I think about 9. Last period was 19th-23rd January. Back at EPAC for further bloods tomorrow, results Friday.

I'm horrified at the thought of going cold turkey but if I am pregnant then it will so be worth it!

I have a supportive family but my OH has a very demanding job, which means that I am attending some of my upcoming appointments on my own as work won't allow him the time off. One of my huge anxieties is waiting rooms, where it's quiet and you can hear a pin drop. So I'm terrified of sitting on my own!

Chooklass Wed 12-Feb-20 21:16:05

You are still really early on then - your hormone levels increase rapidly day by day early on so fingers crossed your next test will be lovely and big!

I find the waiting rooms awkward too - have you a friend or Mum who could tag along? I usually take a magazine or play a game on my phone to give me something else to focus on!

cookielove Wed 12-Feb-20 21:16:41

My current pregnancy, i tested at what i thought was 12dpo, but was actually much earlier. Due to previous losses and bleeding i had a blood test, first came back at 18, 2nd at 84, 3rd at 600, it didn't look good yet here i am at 25 weeks!! It can happen smile

Good luck xx

MoreRainbowsPlease Wed 12-Feb-20 21:22:16

Which anti-depressant is it that you have come off. Most do not recommend coming on cold turkey as the withdrawal effects can be quite serious. It is normally recommended that you slowly taper off ad's. Also there are some that can be used during pregnancy.

Please try not to worry about your HCG level, it is the 2nd test that will really be able to put your mind at rest. It sounds like you are very early on so really the first test can only be used to see how much the HCG level has increased in the 2nd test.

Good Luck.

Delbelleber Wed 12-Feb-20 21:26:56

What meds are you coming off? I was advised for the sake of my health to carry on with mine.
Good luck with the pregnancy

Missmagpie1 Wed 12-Feb-20 21:31:22

Have a search of your medication on here and check, GPs sadly quite often give women the wrong advice to quit medication cold turkey when not actually needed

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/

smac96 Wed 12-Feb-20 22:28:36

Thankyou all for your responses!

I'm coming off:
Propranolol (anxiety and migraines)
And mirtazapine (anxiety and depression)
I've been advised that I can stay on mebeverine and loperamide for IBS.

Mirtazapine was chosen for sedative qualities. Been doing some reading online and it all seems to say to come off gradually. I have around a weeks worth so may stagger them (take one, miss a day).

I definitely feel different today. I've been horrendously bloated all day and absolutely starving literally half an hour after eating and I've been getting random hot flushes where I've needed my fan on at work (in the middle of winter!). Came home from work and slept from 4pm-8pm. I think it's too early for symptoms but it's my first so could this be coincidence?

I'm so pleased that I found you lot on mumsnet. You've all calmed me down a lot! Thankyou!!

Raleighx Thu 13-Feb-20 00:38:46

Hey not to worry you but I had a couple of positive tests and my blood hcg was 25. Went back for a retest 2 days later and it doubled but then started bleeding the week after. They were very very cautious from the beginning with a result of 25 and advised me most pregnancies that start out that low do not end up viable. Fingers crossed for you hope it works out but maybe prepare for the worst? Lots of love x

Suewiththeredford Thu 13-Feb-20 00:44:01

Mine was crazy low - post IVF with immune issues. Was about 29 I think, then 45, then 145 and doubled nicely. The result is snoring upstairs!

smac96 Fri 14-Feb-20 12:35:17

Hi all.

Turns out I was right to be panicky.
After these results, and the results yesterday doing down to 23. It appears that we've had an early loss.

We're absolutely heartbroken.

What do I do now?? I feel so guilty

Magentastorm101 Fri 14-Feb-20 13:13:16

First of all please don't feel guilty. This was not your fault.

I am so so sorry for your loss sweetheart 😞

Chooklass Sat 15-Feb-20 06:39:43

I’m so sorry @smac96 💐. Please don’t feel guilty though - early losses are common, sadly, and absolutely nobody’s fault. You did nothing wrong xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »