Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Just been told ive got cronic Aneamia and have hospital referral..what will happen?

(17 Posts)
fifisworld Mon 03-Sep-07 16:08:40

Ive always had low iron levels but apparently its dropped again since my last full blood count.
Midwife is referring me to the hospital to see if they can do anything but im worried sick now.
Has anyone else had this??

Pixiefish Mon 03-Sep-07 16:12:31

I hae low haemaglobin but also complicated by ITP and certain antibodies.

They tested to see if they could give me iron or blood transfusion but they couldn't. the main thing the doctor said was to rest as mucha s i could- not easy with a 3 year old but hey ho. Also that it would improve inthe 3rd Trimester which it is slowly going up

missyhols Mon 03-Sep-07 16:25:07

I'm really anemic again but have been told to stop my bloody iron tabs so i am now exhausted with 21 month dd1. Try not to worry to much. Rest and take it easy. X

fifisworld Mon 03-Sep-07 16:39:00

I love the way these midwifes/doctors tell you to rest - will they look after my 17 month old while i do this do you think?? grin
why have you been told to stop taking the tablets missyhols?

Pixiefish Mon 03-Sep-07 17:48:03

They stopped my iron tablets as well as they weren't making a difference due to some antibody or other that I have in my body

missyhols Mon 03-Sep-07 21:51:27

I don't really know! Last week and half I've been having strong b hicks and dodge tum. So i think they thought that was the cause but if i'm honest i was crap at taking them and I've had no difference since stopping other than being absolutely shattered.

I also have anti d for my anti bodies etc so maybe that was why? Who knows but i'm bloody fed up.

fifisworld Tue 04-Sep-07 08:43:29

Bump anyone else??

fifisworld Tue 04-Sep-07 13:38:13

bump

SauerKraut Tue 04-Sep-07 14:05:36

I have a long-term problem with anaemia and irontablets don't work. I have had 20 iron drips over 6 months.

fifisworld Tue 04-Sep-07 14:19:45

Did you have to stay in for those or is it just done and you come home?

SauerKraut Tue 04-Sep-07 14:29:22

A trained GP nurse does them, in my GP's surgery, I leave as soon as it's done- half an hour.

fifisworld Tue 04-Sep-07 14:50:50

Thanks for that smile

TheBlonde Tue 04-Sep-07 14:57:26

I just ended up having a load more tests to see if they could find the cause of the anaemia - now I have vit B12 jabs

mosschops30 Tue 04-Sep-07 14:59:54

Have you tried spatone?

My iron levels are always low, usually hanging around the 10 mark. However during pg they dropped to below 8 (around transfusion point). I was advised to take spa tone and it increased to over 10.

I have now started taking it again even though not pg as was feeling low and anaemic, my iron levels have shot up again.

You can get it from Boots and you just pop it in some OJ in the morning and hey presto.

fairyjay Tue 04-Sep-07 15:05:58

I was given iron injections two or three times a week at the gp's when I was pregnant. Mind you, that was a million years ago!

fifisworld Tue 04-Sep-07 15:28:03

Thanks, i'll try some spatone, ive heard a few people mention it. Im getting some different iron tablets tomorrow so i'll try them as well.

Ive apparently only got 2/3rds of iron to what i should have, no wonder i feel knackered by 6pm grin

HandbagAddiction Tue 04-Sep-07 19:05:13

Other natural supplement to try is Flurodix (sp?). It's a liquid iron supplement that you take twice a day. You can get it from most health food shops. I have been anaemic in both pregnancies - the first one ended up with a 2 unit transfusion a day after dd1 was born. with dd2, I started taking the supplements early and never had an issue.

Iron tablets can give you constipation which is horrible when you're pregnant!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: