Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I could just cry :-( - Rant Alert

(18 Posts)
theressomethingaboutmarie Thu 30-Aug-07 08:46:35

I've been suffering with aching legs whilst trying to sleep over the past few days which has left me pretty knackered and down. I'm using a v-shaped pillow to try to enhance my comfort but to no avail.

I woke up at 1am this morning to pee and haven't been able to get back to sleep sad. My achey legs eased off to be replaced by chronic back ache until I hauled myself out of bed at 6am. I feel so knackered and upset. I'm mainly enjoying my pregnancy (1st baby and I'm 34 weeks) but to suffer as I did last night is just unbearable.

Rant over.

Chirpygirl Thu 30-Aug-07 08:51:28

Oh poor you, much sympathy from me! DH is sleeping in the spare room again as he did from 35 weeks with my last pregnancy as I can't get comfy/sleep.

With my first I ended up on the sofa most nights surrounded by duvet, water and the remotes so I could watch telly if I couldn't sleep rather than sit there thinking about it.

Are you working?

WaynettaSlob Thu 30-Aug-07 08:53:51

I HATE that bit of pregnancy where you just cannot sleep - and the fact that you're in pain must make it ten times worse................
Have you tried sleeping without any (head) pillows? Might ease the back pain.
Try taking some paracetamol before bed tonight and see if that helps.

(oh and if you want to cry, then do)(although if you are sitting in an office or an a train then probably best not too grin)

ludaloo Thu 30-Aug-07 08:54:18

Awww It is painful as your bump gets bigger...I remember cramps, numb legs, pains and aches (I've got 3 dc) ...does a nice hot (not too hot) bath help before you go to bed?, or try putting a pillow under your feet? that helped me with cramps and things.
Not long to go now though...not that that is much help I know.
You have my sympathies smile

lucykate Thu 30-Aug-07 08:59:23

its fairly normal late on in pregnancy to be like this, its the bodies way of getting you used to sleepless nights, they'll be coming a plenty when the baby arrives!

missbumpy Thu 30-Aug-07 10:03:17

I totally sympathise. I feel the same. I had one of those nights the other night (I'm 33 weeks). I woke up at about 3am and didn't go back to sleep until it was time to get up for my driving lesson. I was in floods of tears before I left the house. Spent the whole day in a bit of a sleep-deprived, hormonal daze.

Last night DP slept in the living room and I had my first, blissful night of uninterrupted sleep in ages.

I'm trying having a cup of chamomile tea in the evening and a warm bath. Not sure if it's working or not.

mixedmama Thu 30-Aug-07 10:05:10

It is normal to get more and more uncomfy - but a pain in the backside.

I think the bath is a great idea, a friend of mine suggested a drop of lavender in the bath or on the pillow.

Could you maybe try going to bed earlier so that you are getting a few hours in before hand.

Are you on mat leave, if so a nap in the day might help.

theressomethingaboutmarie Thu 30-Aug-07 10:29:00

Thanks for the suggestions and sympathy - it's truly appreciated. I'm not sure that I like the idea of my body being as cruel as to deprive me of sleep already though grin.

I'll give the bath and lavender tips a try this evening. I think that it's made worse because I'm keeping DH awake too although he's being very sweet about it.

I'm not on mat leave for another three weeks unfortunately but am finding that I am sleeping like a log on the train. I actually find myself praying for train delays on the way into work so I can try to catch a few more z's!

Eaglebird Thu 30-Aug-07 10:55:03

I've started drinking Horlicks made with hot milk before bed (Oh dear, I sound about 90...)
Not sure if it's just coincidence, but I seem to have slept better these past few nights. Still have to get up at 3am for a wee though. Also wake up with cramp in my calves. One night it was so painful I was convinced I had deep vein thrombosis. It went away after I stretched the muscle (as if I was trying to pull my toes upwards towards my knee).
What's most irritating though is DP moaning 'Oh I had a terrible nights sleep' after I've been awake half the night listening to him snoring angry

Alfie72 Thu 30-Aug-07 10:57:15

Acupuncture and craniosacral therapy worked a treat for me. I was so sleep deprived I was in tears on a daily basis. I have slept like a baby since I had some treatments.

maisym Thu 30-Aug-07 10:58:27

check on use of lavender if using lavender oil or something similiar as not advised in preg.

Fingerbobs Thu 30-Aug-07 11:09:39

I think lavendar oil is ok after the first three months - it's one of the ones that is ok. I got this info from here

www.babydirectory.com/cgi-bin/showPreg.pl?AROMATHERAPY

and have been using lavendar oil in baths in the evening to help with sleep. I do feel your pain (quite literally) and I'm only 28 wks so not really looking forward to the next bit...

Fingerbobs Thu 30-Aug-07 11:09:57

lavendEr, obviously

aikigypsy Thu 30-Aug-07 11:27:01

I got a hypnobirthing book, and the relaxation tape seems to be helping me sleep better, but then, it might be just that I finally unwound a bit after wrapping up my job, moving, etc. (I'm only at 29 weeks, but wanted to get the moving-house out of the way before I got ungainly huge). I also do a cup of herbal tea and/or milk right before bed.

PregnantGrrrl Thu 30-Aug-07 11:27:22

eaglebird- DH does that too! 'oh i slept really badly last night'....er, really, because i spent hours watching you sleep and snoring like a good 'un.

i'm sleeping badly too- got to that stage where i can't get comfy. Pillow between knees is helping. I had about 3 hrs sleep night before last...wanted to die yesterday sad

KezzaG Thu 30-Aug-07 11:28:32

I really really recommend Emotional Freedom Therapy. I was highly sceptical when I was taught it but I can honestly say it works. I am 35 weeks pregnant and hip pain and restless legs were make sleeping impossible so I now do a short tapping session (literally 30 seconds) if I wake up, then lay down and I am always asleep within 10 minutes.

Check out the get started package on the website www.emofree.com/downloadeftmanual.asp

I havent used the website myself, it was taught to me so if it looks really complicated let me know and I will type out the quick session that I use - dont want to bore you with it if you can get the real deal on the official website smile

Mrswizz Thu 30-Aug-07 11:35:50

I sympathise theressomethingaboutmarie. I couldn't sleep last night either. Been trying different cushions but nothing really stops the pains in my pelvis and legs. Felt like I'd pulled a muscle in my stomach this morning from the weight of my bump, and I'm only 27 weeks so probably lots smaller than you.

Stefka Thu 30-Aug-07 12:48:52

Oh you poor thing - it's the same for me. Last night my DH was snoring like crazy so I tried sleeping on the sofa but I woke up after an hour in totally agony from my back and legs.

I went back to bed and the combination of pain and snoring kept me awake until 6am when I was finally able to drop off. It's really very unpleasant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now