Talk

Advanced search

Best baby clothes sizes ?

(13 Posts)
Babygray2020 Tue 14-Jan-20 19:51:59

I’m stuck on what sizes to get ? Should I be getting more of one size and less of another ?

Goldenmother Tue 14-Jan-20 19:54:27

I've always only got a few newborn baby grows and then 0-3 months

ColaFreezePop Tue 14-Jan-20 19:58:01

Try and get your baby gros and vests as late as possible as then you can take then back and swap sizes if they are too small.

Wheresthebiffer2 Tue 14-Jan-20 20:00:41

if they're too big, you can still use them - ie 0-3months on a newborn, but if you buy loads of newborn and then give birth to a 10lb plus baby, they might not ever fit him/her.

Remember people will give you stuff too, so don't go overboard buying. (tempting though it is as baby clothes are lush).

MrFlibblesEyes Tue 14-Jan-20 20:03:10

In my experience I needed smaller babygros than I expected. Ds was 6lb14 and needed tiny baby babygros initially, even 0-1 month ones were massive on him. He's now 12 weeks and 0-3 are only just starting to fit him properly and he weighs over 12lb!

dreamsmama Tue 14-Jan-20 20:14:46

@MrFlibblesEyes I second this!
I bought a load of 0-3 months as didn't want to waste money on things that weren't going to fit for long but I needed tiny baby to start with. My baby is 15 weeks and is only just fitting 0-3 months and he is of average weight, so definitely invest in some smaller sizes. Baby was 7pounds2 when born. Also I find a lot of gifts are bigger sizes as they assume you already have newbornsmile

INeedNewShoes Tue 14-Jan-20 20:28:57

I would suggest having one pack of tiny baby vests and babygros and a couple of packs of each in newborn sizes as well.

I daftly thought 0-3 would be fine from birth but DD (born at 39w) was swamped by them and I had to send my mum out shopping for smaller things.

DappledThings Tue 14-Jan-20 21:58:29

I also assumed 0-3 months would be fine as it included "0" in the name! We had to stop at Sainsbury's with me carrying DS in my arms, 17 hours old, so we could get some newborn size sleepsuits.

Namechanger212333333333 Tue 14-Jan-20 22:03:40

I knew both times that they were going to be small babies as scans had revealed this.
DD is 4.5 months now and only just hit 10lbs and started to wear 0/3 months.
I’d get a set of newborn sleepsuits and newborn vests. .. then once your D.C. is here you will have an indication of the size.
Also be mindful of the clothes you buy for the season , for example lots of people bought DD clothes in 3/6months, but winter ones.... at the rate she is going to won’t be in 3/6 months until June / July so they are totally the wrong season of
Clothes !!

R2D2abc Tue 14-Jan-20 22:40:49

For my first it was a guessing game.

With my second and third I guessed they won't be super big baby's. with my third I ended up buying a set of tiny baby grows. She was small and everything looked so weirdly big on her.

Now pregnant with fourth baby, I have about 10 baby grows for newborn and also body suits. My baby's turn out to be on smallish side.

But if I wouldn't know I'll probably buy just a few. You can always get them from Asda or Tesco's 24 hrs in case you feel you need smaller clothes.

Mummylanie3 Tue 14-Jan-20 23:03:23

My first 2 were 7lb 6 and 7lb 11 and 13 days late so newborn lasted them a while my third was 10lb 4 and on-time so newborn didn't even fit it all depends on the size of your baby even midwives were shocked at how big he was because I never measured big but he was all in my back this time I'm having growth scans so hopefully will have a idea

jadelouiselaird Wed 15-Jan-20 14:17:30

following post, ive been buying 0-3 months now think i may need some newborn sizes though.

ToTravelIsToLive Wed 15-Jan-20 14:58:01

I got a couple of new born, a few up to 1 month and a few 1-3 months. We packed new born in my main hospital bag and put up to 1 month in a bag in the car. He was 7lb but dropped weight so ended up in New born for about a month. We were given lots of clothes as gifts so didn't really need to get much more. Supermarkets are always open and you can always order online if you needed more. Our matalan ones and Asda seemed to get more wear than Tesco as we find their neck lines are tighter so if you want ones that last a little longer with more stretch I would get them from either shop. mamas and papas are nice but again not so stretchy in my experience

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »