Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.
C section for second DC(7 Posts)
I had an emergency c section for my first DC, after a 20 hour labour and no progression. When he was born he weighed 10.5 pounds which was why I didnt progress, although he measured normal in scans and I was told I would have an 'average' size baby.
I'm now pregnant with my second DC and the midwife recommended I go for an elective c section this time due to my first DC being so big. I was very happy with this has I have a huge fear of having a VBAC and would much prefer a c section. My recovery last time was very straightforward
Today i saw a consultant who tried to persuade me to have a VBAC even though I was adamant I don't want one. I also thought I had to have an elective c section given the size of my first DC. I'm now really worried as I really don't want a VBAC.
So does anyone know if you are guaranteed a c section with second DC if the first was big, or do I have to beg for one?! Just to add I'm only 18 weeks but still worried about it...
Hey, my first was 9lb9 36 hour labour ending in a Emergency cs. When I saw my consultant with my next one she gave me the choice. But left it untill I was about 34 weeks incase I changed my mind. I had a c/s again good job as he was 10lb1. Due to have my 3rd section on Friday, I don’t think you will have to beg. Just make your decision and explain how you have come to that decision. Good luck x
Hi op, as far as I know, one c-section puts you on the path of consultant led care (Not that you’ll see one often) and because you’ve had one, you can opt for another aw a matter of choice.
This was what I experienced, and friends in different parts of the country too. What I also learned is that everyone has their own agenda and some will try and persuade you round to their way of thinking. I had sound reasons for requesting an elective after my first c-section, but not everyone agreed or understood.
You’re entitled to ask for a different consultant though. Good luck.
Thanks for your advice, that's really reassuring.
I was definitely pushed towards a vbac and I went with it because I wanted to try. I think if I had wanted a c section they would have let me. History repeated itself and no progression meant I ended up with another c section. If I'm lucky enough to have another baby I would definitely want an elective c section.
Stand your ground OP. You are entitled to a section as you’ve had one previously & on good grounds given the size of your first & him getting stuck! Just push pack & say no, you don’t want to risk it, I’ll be having my section please.
Once you had a c-section you can request one on the following pregnancy much easier.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Get started »
Please login first.