Talk

Advanced search

Hcg levels, outcome

(17 Posts)
hanelizabeth Tue 14-Jan-20 16:09:25

So I phoned today to get my results from my HCG blood test I had taken on Friday. The nurse I spoke to just said my result is normal so does that mean its negative or positive, can anyone shed any light? 😣 I didn't ask her to elaborate as I didn't have time...

R2D2abc Tue 14-Jan-20 16:57:58

It probably means you're pregnant, you don't check usually HCG apart from pregnancy.

hanelizabeth Tue 14-Jan-20 18:06:38

The nurse checked my HCG on Friday because it was day 5 of my period being overdue. I did a cheapy test last Wednesday and it was negative, not sure if I tested too early. I'm no wiser so it looks like I'll have to call the doctors back this week or do a clear blue test.. 😕

tisonlymeagain Tue 14-Jan-20 18:10:19

Well there wouldn't be any HCG present if you're not pregnant but it's hard to determine what "normal" means?

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Jan-20 18:12:03

You’ll need to ring again or get another home test.

hanelizabeth Tue 14-Jan-20 18:36:01

I know that's exactly what me and my partner said, we are no wiser as to what 'normal' means surely the result is either positive or negative..
I'll have to try and speak to the nurse who did my bloods on friday 🤞

Darkstar4855 Tue 14-Jan-20 20:10:55

A normal level is <5 i.e. negative.

hanelizabeth Wed 15-Jan-20 06:38:12

Very mixed comments on here 🙈🙈

I think I will find out exactly for my own peace of mind but thank you, I read the same on Google but you can also have normal hcg levels of a certain amount based on how many weeks pregnant you are.

Thanks all for your input

tisonlymeagain Wed 15-Jan-20 20:29:53

There's no normal even when you're pregnant. At 5 weeks mine was 14,500 but other people's has been just a couple of hundred.

hanelizabeth Wed 15-Jan-20 20:51:53

It's just what the lady said on the phone when I called results line, she just said your they're 'normal' I'm going to get some clarity on this because its driving me insane not knowing. Thank you for your message.

Fatas Wed 15-Jan-20 22:18:01

I would take normal as not pregnant

DameSylvieKrin Wed 15-Jan-20 22:22:35

Normal would mean not pregnant if you only tested one day. Otherwise they would test again and be looking at whether the level was increasing properly.

hanelizabeth Thu 16-Jan-20 07:04:08

I've only had the hcg blood test once which was last Friday.
I'm wondering if there has not to have been enough hcg detected for a positive result, can this be possible?

Fatas Thu 16-Jan-20 16:46:10

I'm not sure why they're testing your hcg. If you go to the Drs they normally do a dipstick test. If you're 5 days late and think you're pregnant then the hcg would have usually shown up by now- it starts to rise as soon as egg implants which is usually 5 days after conception... On average. Just do another pregnancy test. If it's negative you're not pregnant

Fatas Thu 16-Jan-20 16:48:16

Also you don't need to spend a lot of money on tests. Cheap tests usually work perfectly fine and if you were 5 days late you'll now be even more late so should show up on a test

BelleBox19 Fri 17-Jan-20 10:34:24

@hanelizabeth have you called and clarified with your doctor? Hope all works out for you x

hanelizabeth Fri 17-Jan-20 10:37:10

Hello, no I haven't phoned them back. I'm feeling pretty rotten at the moment 😣 I haven't forgotten though, I'll either call them or do another pregnancy test. Thann you for your message x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »