Talk

Advanced search

Can’t feel baby kicking at 23 weeks

(43 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Nabila81 Mon 13-Jan-20 19:20:28

I’m 23.5 weeks and haven’t felt my baby kicking. People including the dr keep asking about it and it’s making me anxious thinking about it. Is anyone in/been in a similar situation?
Thanks

BelfastNonBlonde Mon 13-Jan-20 19:22:58

Have you had your 20 week scan? Did the sonography mention the location of your placenta? I have known people with placentas located in certain places (ie the front of uterus) not to feel much, even much later on.

Did sonographer see movement ok in your scan?

Nabila81 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:02:39

We had the 20 week scan in December and the sonographer said everything looked okay. She didn’t mention anything about the location of the placenta though.

AnyFucker Mon 13-Jan-20 20:03:53

You have never felt any kicks or you have stopped feeling them ?

Nottalotta Mon 13-Jan-20 20:05:56

If you were feeling kicks but they've stopped, go and get checked out immediately. If you haven't felt any yet, I'd call the midwife to discuss tomorrow.

It is usual to have felt kicks by that stage, but as a pp said it does depend on position if placenta, and of baby.

Nabila81 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:14:00

I haven’t felt any kicks at all so far. I just want to feel it so I know everything is okay. I’ve got a bad back which I’m hoping is a good sign in some way

AnyFucker Mon 13-Jan-20 20:24:51

Are you overweight ? That can affect what you feel.

aNonnyMouse1511 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:28:55

Have you had a midwife appointment recently to check on baby’s well being?

Usually you’d have felt movement at this stage. There are a lot of factors of why you wouldn’t have, but I’d want to have a chat with my midwife if I was in your position and have heart rate etc checked.

MrsH497 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:31:30

Have you felt any twitches, rolling sensation, little jerking movements? They don't feel like "kicks" to start off with
Call your midwife tomorrow just for reassurance

Newmumma83 Mon 13-Jan-20 20:31:34

@Nabila81 if it helps I barely felt my son kick through the whole pregnancy and he is a very healthy 1 year old .
I had a low lying placenta so don’t know if that was some of the reason.
I would prob request a scan though or appointment to hear heart beat to put your mind at rest

Amortentia Mon 13-Jan-20 20:33:58

This could be down to the position of the placenta or the baby. My first baby was back to back and i didn’t feel much.I spent most of my second pregnancy leaning forward over a gym ball. I would recommend you try this as it might help shift the position of the baby and you might feel more movement too.

Nabila81 Mon 13-Jan-20 21:07:58

My BMI was just over 25 so I’m probably not overweight. My next scan is in three weeks time. I think I will call the midwife tomorrow just to put my mind at rest and I will try all of your suggestions. Thanks ladies x

AnyFucker Mon 13-Jan-20 21:21:48

Good luck flowers

mintchick Mon 13-Jan-20 21:25:26

If it helps, I had twins with two anterior placentas and didn't feel kicks until at least 24 weeks. I'll bet your placenta is anterior too.

LilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Jan-20 21:26:29

Hi OP,

We're just moving this thread over to the pregnancy topic for you.
Sending love and best wishes. flowers

dash6 Mon 13-Jan-20 22:07:31

I didn't feel proper movement and kicks until 24 weeks. I'm 28 weeks now and some days still feel minimal movement, I wouldn't worry but double check with midwife just to put your mind at rest 😊

manicmumdayss Mon 13-Jan-20 22:11:42

With both my first and second I didn't feel anything really until 24 weeks, and both my children were over 10lbs so big babies. I think everyone just reacts to sensations differently.

jellyjellyinmybelly Mon 13-Jan-20 22:14:31

If you look on your scan report it may state what position your placenta is. If it's anterior that can make kicks harder to feel

WombatStewForTea Mon 13-Jan-20 22:56:07

If you look at your scan report in your notes it will say where your placenta is. I have an anterior placenta and didn't feel movements til around 22 weeks

Nabila81 Tue 14-Jan-20 21:07:58

The scan report says placenta posteria high. I’m hoping to call the midwife tomorrow as I will be 24 weeks then. Thanks for all the advice and reassurance. X

mama2b2 Tue 14-Jan-20 23:05:40

Is this your first baby? If so, I didn't feel any movement with DC1 until 24 weeks I think.

Nabila81 Wed 15-Jan-20 01:25:21

Yes this is is my first baby. Okay thanks for letting me know. X

WineOrGin Wed 15-Jan-20 06:38:51

I didn't feel movement until about 24 weeks and I also got loads of questions about it. I phoned the triage and they told me to come in just to be checked for reassurance. They checked the heartbeat and all was fine, he's obviously just a little bit lazy or in a position where I didn't feel much.

Hope all is well with your baby too x

mama2b2 Wed 15-Jan-20 14:12:38

Yeah I'm finding boys are a lot lazier than girls. At least mine was. Pregnant with DC2 a girl and she started moving earlier xx

Nabila81 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:25:30

Thanks ladies. I called the midwife today and she said I should go in to the hospital. They did a quick scan and could hear the heartbeat but they said they will call tomorrow with an appointment for a full scan just to be on the safe side as I should be able to feel something by now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »