Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

breaking the good news to work...

(22 Posts)
PurlyQueen Mon 27-Aug-07 21:16:39

Evening all!

I work nights (sometimes until 1am). But since I've become PG these late finishes are killing me - I get so tired and as I work in a newspaper I think having me work so late is a liability because all I want to do after 10pm is crawl off to bed rather than wait for late news stories.

My dilemma is that I'm only 9 weeks and I wanted to hold out until at least 12 weeks to tell my bosses at work.

Should I soldier on for another few weeks (until I'm into my second trimester) or tell them now that I'd like to rearrange my shifts?

iliketosleep Mon 27-Aug-07 21:51:51

id tell them now as you could really knacker yourself out otherwise

beansprout Mon 27-Aug-07 21:53:50

I told my boss v early on this time, for similar reasons (our office gets really hot in the summer, routinely up to 90-100 degrees) so I needed to ask for flexible hours.

You have nothing to lose by asking, it's a reasonable request.

coleyboy Mon 27-Aug-07 21:56:29

I would tell your boss, and maybe create a white lie to tell your colleagues why you are changing shifts. That way you can stop it becoming common knowledge.

iliketosleep Mon 27-Aug-07 21:56:42

im 9 weeks too and im in bed most nights by 11 latest most days! poor you

Judy1234 Mon 27-Aug-07 22:12:26

Soldier on as the tiredness disappears. Also sleep more in your "night" may be (i.e. the day). I waited until they showed at work which luckily for me was more like 4 or even nearly 5 months.

Twinklemegan Mon 27-Aug-07 22:23:57

You have your own health and your baby's health to think of. Better that they know now so that they can protect your health and safety. In my very unprofessional opinion, if you have an accident and your tiredness is a contributing factor, you might have some stick for not having told them about your pg.

PinkMartini Mon 27-Aug-07 23:06:58

Hi Purlyqueen, congrats on the PG. I am a week ahead of you and feel like I've been completely ineffectual at my job since my BFP (suffering from m/sickness a lot and completely knackered all the time). Since I work from home, it's been easy to hide but I would like to tell my boss that I'm expecting if for no other reason than to explain why I've been a bit crap at my job recently!

What are the advantages for not telling your work until later then?

PurlyQueen Tue 28-Aug-07 00:06:22

It's four minutes past midnight and I'm counting the minutes until I can go home.
Now I think about it I think I'll say something sooner rather than later - after all, if something goes wrong (TOUCH WOOD) I will need time off from work anyway.

FlameBatfink Tue 28-Aug-07 01:07:14

I had to tell work with DD - I had just started a new acting promotion and they took me to one side as they were concerned I wasn't happy with it because my mind wasn't on the job blush - I loved the job, had to explain that unexpected pregnancy was making me a bit distracted whilst I got my head round it!!

If you can tell just your boss/the person who needs to know, it can be a great help without having to announce to everyone.

Twinklemegan Tue 28-Aug-07 01:08:13

I had to tell my boss after I completely flipped and threw a full on wobbly in the middle of the office blush

FlameBatfink Tue 28-Aug-07 01:14:57

grin I did that too, but that was at about 7 1/2 months... the cow who had taken my job (ok, so not entirely her fault) was then trying to organise the prize that my team had won and I did all the work towards - I yelled at her mid office, stormed off and sobbed in the toilets. My (male) friend came in to find me grin

Never did get the prize... or my job

Califrau Tue 28-Aug-07 01:23:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anna8888 Tue 28-Aug-07 08:33:51

Don't take health risks when pregnant. Please tell your bosses NOW.

Judy1234 Tue 28-Aug-07 12:04:13

Early ante natal I was just able to go to without comment - trip to doctors etc.
Not understand health risk. You're tired as people are in early pregnancy but unless you're heaving boxes of newsprint around I'm not sure sitting at a desk typing is any onerous than being at home. Also if you work shifts then you just shift your sleep around so surely if you end at mid night then you can get even up to 12 hours sleep in the day so not tired by mid night next night?

FlameBatfink Tue 28-Aug-07 12:11:28

She might have other children to care for during the day, and if she is used to just having a few hours sleep a night then she won't be able to have extra and care for the children.

PurlyQueen Tue 28-Aug-07 16:08:22

It's not the late starts and finishes that worry me - I've been doing these hours for nearly five years. It's just pregnancy symptoms come and go and I never know when I'll be full of beans or propping my eyes open with matchsticks smile.

I feel like a liability on the late shift, which starts at 5pm and carries on whenever (could be 2am or later) depending on what news breaks, the newspaper is your responsibility and you're there on your own.

I want to stick to a 2pm-10pm or 3pm-11pm shift so that I know I won't leave anyone in the lurch if I feel really tired and/or sick.

FlameBatfink Tue 28-Aug-07 16:10:37

you're being a good colleague then, but it isn't essential for you to tell anyone if you don't want to

PurlyQueen Thu 30-Aug-07 17:21:57

Broke the news to my boss today. He has two little ones himself so he was delighted (or so he says smile).

I thought it was better to come clean because I spend a lot of my day on the loo, yawning or looking as if I'm about to swallow a lemon because some smell has made me nauseous.

And if for any reason I have to dash off, then he'll know why.

Twinklemegan Thu 30-Aug-07 21:58:34

Good for you PurlyQueen. Do you feel better about things now?

Emprexia Fri 31-Aug-07 13:05:09

I'm glad you "came clean" but i wanted to add a message for anyone else in the same situation.

You really should tell your boss about a pregnancy, even if its before the 12wk mark, they legally have to do a health & safety assessment to make sure your job and environment are safe for you while pregnant.

PurlyQueen Fri 31-Aug-07 17:22:59

I'm relieved that I 'came out of the closet' smile - it's a weight off my mind!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now