Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness woe

(17 Posts)
Ukelele Sat 25-Aug-07 12:23:23

My morning sickness is really bad and wondering if I should go to the doctor or if I'm just being silly! I dont know because this is my first pregnancy!

At the moment I'm being sick around 5 times a day sometimes more, I cant really keep any food down and not even water sometimes. I keep getting light headed and I've passed out a couple of times and I'm losing weight quite quickly (any other time I'd be jumping for joy about that fact!)

I'm just worried because I'm only 6+1 and i hear its gonna get worse before it gets better !!!

Any advice??? xxx

frazzledbutcalm Sat 25-Aug-07 12:37:35

I had awful morning sickness, although not as bad as you! Everyone said it would settle at 12 weeks - that's a lifetime when you're going thru it! you hear old wives tales that may help - they don't work, so don't bother trying! My sickness lasted all the way thru all my four pregnancies!! But it does get better, it won't always be as severe as it is now.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 25-Aug-07 12:39:51

They say severe sickness can be sign of twins, however i have never had this confirmed in real life by any mum i have ever met! Think that's just an old wives tale too! I would go to doctors although they won't be able to do anything for you. At least you'll get professional advice and it may make you feel better. My cousin was like you and she had to go to hospital couple times for dehydration and stuff but her sickness did stop completely but not sure when.

Peachy Sat 25-Aug-07 12:41:01

have a look here

I'm almost 9 weeks and borderline hyperemesis this time (hospitalised first time, medicated next two times but trying to avid that).

I woudl say you sound like a definite candidate for medication, and you need to be advised on hydration as well as that si the real risk factor with hyperemesis. Therefore, you need to see your GP ASAP (make sure its an emergency appointment monday)

HTH

Peachy Sat 25-Aug-07 12:41:40

Ansd severe sickness can be a sign of twins, its the higher HCG levels- first thing they did when I was dmitted with ds1 was scan to check for a multiple PG.

MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 12:42:28

you could go to the Drs on Tuesday and see what they say. it may just be a bad few days. i have had a couple of days where i can eat and rink NOTHING but i have had other days where i have "normal" MS. I am about 10 weeks now and stil have bad days and good days but if it carries on being severe, especially with you losing weight, you should see your DR to rule out.

Peachy Sat 25-Aug-07 12:42:35

'I would go to doctors although they won't be able to do anything for you'

so wrong, there is so much available in the way of medications now that GP's CAN do things to help

(I used to volunteer for the charity i linked to, so do have some knowledge in thsia re)

MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 12:43:55

i didn't want to scare her with hyperemesis as i don't know to phrase it properly peachy, so thank you!

Peachy Sat 25-Aug-07 12:47:48

Didn't know you were just ahead of me MOM_ congrats smile

Hope I didn't scare anyone. But esp. in thsi weather, not keeping down fluids isn't a good sign, neither is weight loss, and its a shame when poeple accept it and suffer imo.

frazzledbutcalm Sat 25-Aug-07 12:48:33

Thats fab peachy! I was just told to weather the storm! 12 weeks you'll be fine. 14 weeks you'll be fine. 16 weeks its gotta go by then. 20 weeks definitely be gone! In truth it went at 38 weeks when ds popped out, 39 wks when dd popped out, 40 wks when dd popped out and 40 wks when ds popped out!!!

MerlinsBeard Sat 25-Aug-07 12:50:05

Peachy congrats to you too (u on the march thread?)
you won't scare anyone! I only have second hand info about hyperemisis from a very..erm...lets say dramatic ex friend!

ukelele, you could try melon for liquids, as well as ice lollies.

Peachy Sat 25-Aug-07 13:00:21

April 2nd, so just on the toehr one LOL!

Letuce also good for fluids, cucumber, and try extemes of temperature- some epople find hot easier to tolerate than cold, or vice versa.

MerlinsBeard Sun 26-Aug-07 11:16:19

How are you feeling ukelele?

fedupwasherwoman Sun 26-Aug-07 11:30:16

Ukelele

Please get help, if your GP dismisses you saying there are no drugs safe to be used in pregnancy, get your dh/dp to take you straight on to A & E and stress that you have passed out (just don't mention that it was 2 days ago). If he/she precribes something don't wait too long to decide it isn't working, it should take effect within 24/48 hours, go back and see them again quickly if it doesn't.

Seriously though, don't waste time on your GP after your first visit unless he/she knows about the drugs mentioned on the bloomingawful website. The thing is that your GP will be unwilling to prescribe many of them because they are not specifically licensed for use in pregnancy. A hospital doctor will have already prescribed them successfully for many many women and will have the confidence that they will not cause any unacceptable side effects.

There are risks to the baby from prolonged untreated dehydration and hyperemesis (excessive vomitting) should therefore be taken seriously. If even water makes you vomit you do need help.

Don't let this scare you, you will be fine again very quickly after you get proper treatment but getting taken seriously can be a battle.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

macneil Sun 26-Aug-07 11:42:26

Poor you, this sounds like my pregnancy. I really wanted to end the pregnancy it felt so awful, and I fainted daily, clonking my head on the loo porcelain, and really thought that was how I was going to die. Mine lasted the full 38 weeks, but there were periods where it was really manageable, and although I was still puking a few times a day, I was eating again and I could get about. I even went househunting during that time. But I remember the despair. You are terribly unlucky to have it from 6 weeks, that is very early.

Ice really helped: ice pops, the really cheap kind. They have a kind of stomach numbing effect, but they dribble a little liquid into you too. This means blue puke, I'm afraid, but your body does absorb it. My GP made me sip the diarrhoea rehydration things - is it Fybogel? - but I found them absolutely disgustingly salty and threw them up immediately. But they are the best for rehydrating, if you want to give them a try. Never get cocky and take normal swallows, you have to sip so little that you fool your body into thinking nothing's happening, but you have to do it all day long. And the fainting is dangerous - let people know this is happening to you so they can check on you if you disappear into the loo for ages.

Roskva Sun 26-Aug-07 11:44:45

It might be worth considering a couple of sessions of acupuncture - my acupuncturist claims a good success rate for morning sickness .

fedupwasherwoman Tue 28-Aug-07 12:51:11

Ukelele,

How are you feeling ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now