Talk

Advanced search

I feel so ill that I am seriously wondering how I will cope with this

(20 Posts)
Pukeyandfat Fri 24-Aug-07 15:21:58

this is a big moan I know and I am lucky to be pg, but I feel sick 24 hours a day and the only way that I can alleviate the sickness is by eating carbs.

I have put on (i'm sure) about a stone and I'm only 10 weeks. I can't fit into any of my clothes, I can't bear to spend time with my other children as I am just too tired and sick and I think I will be fired soon as work must wonder what I am doing here all day (apart from eating).

I know lots of other people suffer this, but I only seem to know people who breeze through pregnancy putting on half a stone. I am wondering how I can continue with this.

vole3 Fri 24-Aug-07 15:34:51

The nausea will go away - even if like my friend it was in the delivery room after she'd had DS.
You are doing the right thing by eating little and often and often it's not necessarily the carbs, but what you add to them that can add to the weight gain. I had a big thing for marmite rice cakes and cheesy oatcakes early on, but once the nausea went I was back to eating normally and didn't add on any more weight.
Don't forget this isn't your first, so your shape will change earlier than before.

In the mean time, take care of yourself and rest when you can.

hippopowell Fri 24-Aug-07 15:35:40

Hi,
So sorry for you. I was just the same, I just had to eat to not feel sick or be sick(mostly cheese & crackers & meat pies!!!) and so resemble the side of a bus now. I'm 18 weeks today & it got better for me, not as tried now as well. I'm sure it will get better. If not I had a ginger drink that really did the trick. It was called Gran Stead's Mellow Ginger, got it from a farmers market. It was like really concentrated flat ginger beer.
HTH

Pukeyandfat Fri 24-Aug-07 15:38:39

yes I'm existing on sweets, toffees, sandwiches and pad thai noodles at the moment grin it's no surprise I am expanding rapidly. trouble is once I feel sick I don't care what I eat, I just want to stop it.

Thanks for the ginger drink tip - I will try that.

mixedmama Fri 24-Aug-07 16:29:30

Completely know how you feel.

Simply, you will get through it.

I am still being sick at 21 weeks - although not as badly. I have been eating fruit as I find if i do need to be ssick i dont feel quite so grotty and rice and tomatoes.

Someone suggested sea sicknessbands.... alot of people swear by these.

It will eventually be over.

beansontoast Fri 24-Aug-07 16:35:00

i was exactly the same at the same stage....oh so oh so sick...but only 24/7 for about three weeks if that is any consolation...after that it was much more sporadic and better warded off with food.

hang in there..you are prob not anywhere near as fat as you think you are!!...and may not be eating that much but as it is so often it feels like alot??

i feel for you ...

policywonk Fri 24-Aug-07 16:39:26

You have my sympathy - I know how you feel.

On a practical level, you will feel better for longer if you can eat some non-refined carbs (brown rice or pasta, fruit) or, even better, protein. A meal of lightly fried chicken and boiled potatoes used to work for me, or brown pasta with some chicken. Peanut butter is another suggestion for protein, tho possibly a bit greasy.

It is very difficult feeling like this and having other kids to look after. Use any trick in the book to get someone to take them off your hands as often as possible.

Ants Sat 25-Aug-07 03:30:07

Are you working through all this? Can you not go off sick? My GP was quite willing to give me a sick note for a couple of weeks...

After reading a similar thread here, I tried ice cubes, which really did the trick. Also, what I call 'zingy fruit' ( Pink Lady apples, fresh pineapple, etc).

I can really sympathise with you, I had exactly the same, feeling sick all the time and having to eat carbs. I'm 13 weeks now, feeling a bit better, but am absolutely huge. But then, I don't bloom, I balloon grin.

Unfortunately there's a great social pressure to be a perfect 10 even when pregnant, but it's wrong. Personally, I'll eat whatever gets me through the day without puking, I'll think about healthy lifestyle when I feel better. But what I hate the most is when older women with grown kids make nasty comments about my weight gain. It would be nice if there was more solidarity in the world... sorry, rant is over blush

SofiaAmes Sat 25-Aug-07 05:02:24

I was the same and despite puking 5 times a day, I put on at least a stone in my first trimester and 3 stone over the course of my pregnancy. I did this for both my pregnancies and both times lost most of the weight within the first 6months and the rest by the end of a year (without dieting). You will feel better after the first 3 or 4 months. Just go with the carb eating thing....that's the only thing that made me feel ok. I also tried to always have a little bit in my stomach all the time (not how I normally eat) and that helped a little.

fillyjonk Sat 25-Aug-07 07:33:36

God I could have posted this, especially after my MIL accused me of "malingering" last week angry

But I didn't, which is good because it allows me to think of a response for us both [wink

I am usually sick 2 x a day to 5 months. It is utterly horrible.

I am now at 4 months and my god I am grumpy.

BUT

it also passes. Honestly.

Here are my thoughts

1. You know this, but this is the sign of a healthy pregnancy.

2. Acidophilous tablets (or live yoghurt if you are ok with dairy), complex carbs (wholewheat pasta) and things involving B vitamins (soy sauce, bananas, avocados) work well for me. I mention this because these are remedies which quite often aren't mentioned.

3. Vitamin tablets set me off. Which worries me, but my 2 existing kids are very healthy so...I could often marginally stomach folic acid tabs late at night, but aside from that cut everything. If you are careful with the folic acid and eat the right stuff (google for a list) you shouldn't need the tabs, though of course they are a good insurance. There isn't much point taking vitamins if you throw them, and your nutritious food, up, 10 minutes later IMO. (this is for MIL)

4. Because morning sickness (ha!) is normal, people are a bit dismissive of it, IME. Esp when you are on baby >1. Yes a lot of people suffer. It is a. very very crap (if you WEREN'T pg and puking 2 x a day for 12 weeks, would people feel able to dismiss it? No, you'd be off work and surrounded by flowers) and b. There IS a spectrum and people tend to assume that you have had the same m/s as them. So I ALWAYS assume people are puking 2 x a day, my friend who was sick every day until she dlievered, thinks that, my MIL who once felt a bit queasy on a bus at 8 weeks, thinks that THIS is the extent of m/s for all women.

Like most things involving kids, its about them, not you

sorry for essay, but I feel better now grin. I really hope it goes pretty soon

Oh and I HAVE put on nearly 1.5 stones. I have been subsisting on very small bowls of pasta and soy sauce for the last 4 months. I cannot believe this is possible. It is WRONG.

BandofMothers Sat 25-Aug-07 07:36:56

You will get tot he point when the sickness will stop and then you can get your eating back under control.
Personally I would do anything that works to get rid of the all day sickness I hadhmm
But both times it was gone by 14 or so weeks.

Pukeyandfat Tue 28-Aug-07 09:21:21

thanks all. I will try the ice cubes, yoghurt and fruit tips. It is good to hear that other people go through the same - I don't seem to meet many people who do!

Unfortunately in my other pregnancies, the sickness has gone on until 24 weeks shock. I think it seems worse this time, but it could just be my memory playing tricks. I'm not sure it helps that this baby wasn't planned - I don't feel any particular joy about being pregnant generally.

I will see if the doctor will give me a note for a couple of weeks too.

ConnorTraceptive Tue 28-Aug-07 12:08:46

Hi you have my total sympathy, I've been posting on here recently about how awful my morning sickness is so far i've spent nearly 4 weeks in hospital because of it.

It's so shit isn't it? I've been a terrible mum and I can't bare to be touch in anyway by dh, in fact he's sleeping in the spare room as he offends my extremely heightened sense of smell grin

It is getting better slowly but like you I feel no joy what so ever about this pregnancy.

hope you start to feel well soon.

Dropdeadfred Tue 28-Aug-07 12:15:13

I was hospitalised when pg with dd3...I couldn't keep anyhting down and lost a stone in first 10 weeks...i cried alot becuase i didn't know how much more i could take. I also had two dd's to take to school etc

It did get better but only after hospital treatemnt and anti-sickness medication...

Good luck - at least the end product is worth it.

I spent hours feeling so sorry for people who feel sick after cancer treatment etc..sad

cupcake78 Tue 28-Aug-07 12:22:39

I understand completely how you feel. I was terribly sick for a long time and still don't know how I managed to get to work and do the things I did.

It feels like it will last forever but it does go away eventually. Just taking each day as it comes and if necessary taking time off work as hols or sick leave for those really bad days.

You are lucky that carbs can help a bit. I found it almost impossible to keep anything down and lost over 2 stone in 8 weeks.

Lucozade was my saviour. One mouthful each hour really helped me and also learning to accept it as best I could. I am luckly I don't have any other children to think about.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself, just try and go with it as best you can.

estobi1 Thu 30-Aug-07 05:25:47

Dont feel guilty for having a moan - you have every right to complain. My first preganancy was great - blissfully happy a bit of sickness but I was glowing.

This pregnancy, I have been sick for weeks on end and have not enjoyed anything until the final trimester. Even the baby moving has irritated me, I have been so tired that I have not wanted to do anything so I know entirely where you are coming from. At one point (and I am very ashamed) I felt like saying I want an abortion because I just can't stand this anymore (I really didn't mean it and it was a 5 second flash).

Very funny about dh having to sleep in spare room - know what you mean - can't stand being touched either.

Good luck - you know it will all be worth it and hopefully the sickness will stop soon for you.

Alfie72 Thu 30-Aug-07 10:59:49

Peppermint tea
ginger ale/ ginger sweets
are both brilliant for nausea

sideways Thu 30-Aug-07 11:10:53

I have also been really sick and in hospital this time round. I lost nearly 3 stone in the first trimester. Now 20 weeks and still on medication, but hoping that the nausea will ease off in the next couple of weeks.

Estobi1 - I also said to dh at one point that if someone offered to take the baby away to make me feel better I would agree. Of course I feel very ashamed now too, as I desperately wanted this pregnancy.

I started off eating carbs, but the list of things I could tolerate got smaller and smaller until I would eat nothing.

Don't be afraid to go to the Dr if you feel you need to. My unhelpful midwife said there was not much point going, so I put it off longer than I should. If you get to the point where you really need tablets, there are some available.

macaco Thu 30-Aug-07 11:14:00

My morning sickness has only started in the last day or two at 6 weeks (and only nausea so I feel very grateful for that) and I've found that minty things help, even spearmint chewing gum. Remember not to have too many...it has laxative properties. The odd one can help when out and about..easy to have to hand.

molliemoo Thu 30-Aug-07 14:14:40

Don't worry I was the same for both of my pregnancies but it seemed to ease off after about 20 weeks. I was put on steriods for my asthma and that seemed to help for some reason. Check out a website called 'Blooming Awful'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now