Anxious about baby's puffy eyes in ultrasound hd images . Down syndrome ?

(14 Posts)
sarahhoping Mon 16-Dec-19 05:46:09

I know this is bit silly , and my obgyn has consoled me , but I can't help how my babies eyes looked so puffed up in recent ultrasounds.
My husband went anxious if the baby could possibly be having some down syndrome or other such issue. BTW , as per my nuchal translucency scan and double marker test, my risk of downs , edwards and pataus was kept at 1 : 20,000 or something.
So the risk is low.

Oh yes and the baby wasn't willing to click in for pics.sorry for bad quality but i can't help but notice how areas around his eyes look swollen

OP’s posts: |
Mamagin Mon 16-Dec-19 05:49:42

If I understand you, your highly trained. Doctor has reassured you that everything appears just fine? Why don't you trust your Doctor?

MiniGuinness Mon 16-Dec-19 05:59:47

Since when are puffy eyes a marker for Down’s syndrome? You are massively insensitive and ridiculous. Were these medical sonograms?

GiveHerHellFromUs Mon 16-Dec-19 06:02:23

You're being ridiculous, and insensitive as PP said.

How far gone are you? Guessing this is your first?

PatricksRum Mon 16-Dec-19 06:06:04

Your best bet would be to Google 3d ultrasound and have a look.
This is silly.

whatiswrongwithmee Mon 16-Dec-19 06:08:48

The baby is in a bag full of water

custardbear Mon 16-Dec-19 06:09:04

Ultrasounds look very bizarre don't read anything into it, I had a 4D scan with my first 10 years ago I thought she looked like an alien ... she was gorgeous when born
Enjoy your baby, she/he'll be fine

Advertisement

xmmasx Mon 16-Dec-19 06:24:27

I think my babies had puffy eyes but that didn't concern me. Try not to worry op.

Frustratedfrenchie Mon 16-Dec-19 06:29:57

My daughter looked like she had no nose in my scan picture but she did! If your so worried have another scan

Roomba Mon 16-Dec-19 06:44:19

Those pictures look exactly like DS1 in his scan pictures - there was nothing to worry about at all with him and if there was, your doctor would have spotted it. Babies are in loads of fluid and are still developing - that's what they look like.

Sweetpeach3 Mon 16-Dec-19 07:04:05

I think every scan like these look awful an nothing like your baby actually does when they arrive and with your risk factors being so low and then stating it's all fine I don't get your issue ?? They know what risk factors to look out for like the fluid on the spine etc they aren't stupid but if your that concerned on how your child looks go get another scan. As I know they do make mistakes. My DB was told my nephew was downs so we all prepared for care for a child with downs an help out. Scan pictures looked fine it was just the fluid and other measurements indicated downs- long story short he came out perfectly fine and healthy and he didn't have downs in witch we didn't expect at all
Iv had these scans for all of mine even though I don't like them their nice to keep I do admit but I don't think your baby looks like it has downs at all just the way the scans are x

Bluerussian Mon 16-Dec-19 07:10:51

Alll babies have puffy eyelids when newborn and before they are born. You're worrying unnecessarily, if your obgyn was concerned about anything they'd tell you. What you've described is perfectly normal.

Enjoy your pregnancy.

sarahhoping Mon 16-Dec-19 09:05:35

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am around 31 week in my pregnancy. smile

OP’s posts: |
Boymummy3 Mon 16-Dec-19 11:03:03

Looks absolutley fine to me... Don't forget also babys don't stay still so images ain't going to be 'perfect' listen to your doctor everything is ok.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in