Talk

Advanced search

Please help, I feel awful

(11 Posts)
BEKIBEA Tue 03-Dec-19 15:04:24

Hi all. I'm new here. First time mum to be. I'm 9 weeks pregnant (almost 10) and I've never felt more rough in my life. I've thrown up every day for the last three weeks, at least twice a day, but I'm able to keep down plain carbs and water during the evening. I'm scared that I'm not eating the right things, but everything but plain pasta makes me want to vomit. I feel like a shell of myself. My husband is being so supportive, but we're both new to this and I don't know what to do for the best. I'm exhausted, but feel guilty taking the time off work, even though it doesn't count towards my sickness and they are supportive. When does this stop? And when can I expect to get my personality back? I feel awful for being so negative about it all... I'm so excited to be a mum, but this is hell. Xx

Seeline Tue 03-Dec-19 15:08:31

Don't worry about what you're eating. I survived on dry rice Krispies for about 10 weeks. DS turned 18 last week - it did him no harm!

I sympathise though - it is awful to feel so sick all the time. I would try and see your GP - they can prescribe meds that really make a difference.

It's difficult to say how long it can last - most say they feel better at about 12 week. I saw an improvement at about 16. Others have it throughout their pg. Fingers crossed you're one of the lucky ones!

PooWillyBumBum Tue 03-Dec-19 15:18:24

Don't worry about it. Your baby is currently tiny. It will get more than enough from you. Try and take a pregnancy vitamin alongside your evening meal if that's what you're holding down.

If you feel truly miserable or can't cope, the doctor can prescrive anti-sickness medications. For most people this is a phase that passes in a few weeks. If it doesn't, there are groups on facebook (search hyperemesis gravidarum) who can help wiht suggestions and tips on how to advocate for yourself as some GPs can be quite dismissive!

MustardScreams Tue 03-Dec-19 15:20:59

Don’t worry! I ate nothing but chip shop sausages and cheese and onion crisps for about 14 weeks. Literally all I could manage.

Your baby will be absolute fine, honestly.

You need to get to the dr and ask for anti-sickness meds. They WILL try to fob you off, but stand your ground and keep asking. They completely changed my pregnancy for the better once I’d taken them. Good luck! Hope you feel better ASAP flowers

Dazedoo Tue 03-Dec-19 15:28:16

I'm in the same boat, 10 weeks on Friday. I eat little and often, constantly resting, taking me vitamins when I know they're not going to reappear and I haven't work for three weeks.. :/ Not good. We just have to remember it's not going to be forever. I hope you feel better soon x

BEABEK Tue 03-Dec-19 15:32:21

I didn't think they'd give people who don't need to go to hospital anti sickness tabs! I'll get on to my doctor tomorrow in the hope they can give me something! I've heard horror stories about poor women who've had sickness the entire pregnancy. Do these tablets help enough to get you feeling normal again?

BEABEK Tue 03-Dec-19 15:33:42

Bless you, I've been in and out of work for a few hours when I've been able to handle it. I think I'm off the rest of this week going by how I feel today. I hope it passes soon for you!! X

Cheesey21 Tue 03-Dec-19 15:42:04

I was like this also and it didn't improve until 14 weeks and that was only when I started taking my anti sickness meds regularly. From 16 weeks I felt miles better and now at 20+2 I feel mostly normal 😊 I never had to go to hospital so there's no truth in not getting medication unless you do. I didn't think I was ever going to get through it but before you know it, you start eating more and being sick less and it's up from there. Good luck!

MustardScreams Tue 03-Dec-19 15:45:29

@BEABEK I didn’t have to go to hospital, just had to find a sympathetic (usually female I’m afraid to say) dr who prescribed me meds.

emiliet123 Tue 03-Dec-19 16:56:42

Do not worry! I really feel for you because I was exactly the same. First time pregnant, couldn’t/didn’t want to eat, I had frequent migraines and I lost 10lbs, I genuinely thought I was doing damage to the baby and that my body wasn’t built for this! Everybody said “it’ll pass” but I just couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. It really affected my mental health, and I was prescribed anti-sickness tablets from my GP. I only took them when I felt at my absolute worst because I was so scared of causing any harm - even though I’d been assured they were safe!
I’m now almost 17 weeks and I’ve lived to tell the tale, sickness and migraines are a distant memory and baby’s looking good! Haven’t gained the weight back yet, but my bump is definitely growing. My advice is just hold on, stomach whatever you can, the baby is so super tiny that it’s needs are negligible at this stage.
Look after yourself, OP. It’s a really hard and really lonely time so don’t feel guilty for being off work, or crawling into bed at 6pm. So great to hear you’ve such a supportive partner as well - it makes all the difference.
The time will pass, even if you have to just grit your teeth and sleep through as much of it as possible. Don’t force yourself through anything - right now baby needs mum to be as calm and well as possible... not sobbing herself to sleep most nights. (Think we’ve all been there).
Every minute passing is a minute closer to meeting baby - that got me through, I hope it helps you xx

BEABEK Tue 03-Dec-19 20:17:22

Thank you so much, to all of you. You've reassured me that I'm not alone in this!! I'm just going to have to be patient and hope this passes eventually! Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »