Talk

Advanced search

Doppler recommendations?

(14 Posts)
impatientlyinfertile Tue 03-Dec-19 12:51:29

Anyone recommend a Fetal Doppler? I really want one this time but don't want to waste money on a rubbish one. I'm hoping it will help my 4 year old understand x

MustardScreams Tue 03-Dec-19 12:55:30

DO NOT USE DOPPLERS.

Never ever ever.

They are for trained medical professionals who know what they’re doing. You can very easily mistake a feral heartbeat for your own or the flow of bloody through the umbilical cord and subsequently have disastrous results. You do not need one. If you have any concerns you call your midwife or the hospital.

Article from the British Medical Journal about the dangers of dopplers:

www.bmj.com/bmj/section-pdf/186393?path=/bmj/339/7730/Feature.full.pdf

MildDrPepperAddiction Tue 03-Dec-19 12:58:32

Ditto that.

Unless you are a medical professional & know how to use one don't get one. You can easily either think there is something wrong because you can't find the heartbeat or miss something that is wrong because you've picked up your blood flow to placenta.

changeforprivacy Tue 03-Dec-19 12:58:45

How do you think a Doppler will help a 4 year old?

Boymummy3 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:00:10

They are highly advised not to get.
Unless you are trained in hearing specific things.. It's been known for mum to pick up her own heartbeat and thinking it's the babys..

Your midwife will listen in to heartbeat at your appointments so maybe you could take your little one to one of your app with another adult present of course so he/she could listen in although I don't think they would actually understand what they are listening too being so young x

R2D2abc Tue 03-Dec-19 13:01:30

Sonoline B it's good one. I bought a second hand one on eBay. Was able to find heartbeat at 10 weeks. Don't use it once you feel movements, rely on your baby movements from then on. If you have other concerns before that contact midwife don't rely on finding a heartbeat. I used it as a calming thing due to recurring miscarriages, and helping with bonding for myself and family.

Be prepared for harsh comments over here.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 03-Dec-19 13:10:52

I think 4 years old is old enough to understand the simple explanation that mummy has a baby in her tummy. I also think that they are far more likely to get excited by the baby's movements than by listening to the heartbeat - I am not sure that they would understand the significance of the heartbeat, but kicks in mummy's tummy are more readily comprehensible.

I would also add my voice to the previous posters who have cautioned against using one to monitor the heartbeat yourself - they are not easy to use - even a trained midwife can struggle sometimes - and you can end up panicking yourself unnecessarily.

SparkleUK Tue 03-Dec-19 13:21:23

I'd definitely add to the 'not to bother' crowd here, sorry!
At my last MW appointment, she used one to check his heart but explained the difference between that and my placenta for instance, then checked my pulse to be certain it was his heart and not mine.
I definitely think movements are the best way to go and I know the NHS recommends tracking those as opposed to heartbeat as movements are usually what will indicate something is wrong whereas a heartbeat doesn't always.
Totally get you want your 4 year old to understand but I think there's some great ways you can have fun with it rather than using a doppler. Wishing you all the best for your pregnancy

HigherFurtherFasterBaby Tue 03-Dec-19 13:22:04

Just don’t. You’re not medically trained.

impatientlyinfertile Tue 03-Dec-19 14:17:58

Ladies, I'm not trying to assess the babies health. If I accidentally get confused and show him how the placenta flow sounds it's no big deal. I just thought it would be nice for him to hear this is your heart this is mammy's heart and in here is your little brother or sister. I appreciate your feedback/concern but I didn't use a doppler at all with my first as as you have all said I am not medically trained and if my son doesn't enjoy this then they aren't that expensive anyway so it's no loss x

MustardScreams Tue 03-Dec-19 14:27:12

What if you think you hear a heartbeat and there isn’t one?

Using dangerous medical equipment in front of your son isn’t good parenting either.

impatientlyinfertile Tue 03-Dec-19 15:07:47

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Alderaan Tue 03-Dec-19 15:08:47

I have a Sonoline B. I'm now 34 weeks and I haven't really used it since I've been able to feel baby move well but between 10 and 20 weeks it was a godsend. I suffer with extreme anxiety and I was convinced I'd lose this baby, and having the doppler really helped.

impatientlyinfertile Tue 03-Dec-19 15:15:25

Thank you @Alderaan and I'm pleased it helped you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »