Talk

Advanced search

Early Scan

(9 Posts)
memh Tue 03-Dec-19 12:25:44

Hi all.

A couple of weeks ago I found out I was expecting (currently 6+2). I was wondering about people opinions on early scans. My partner really wants one as he been constantly worried since we found out. A lot of people say they put your mind at ease, others say it makes it worse. So any experiences or recommends would be really helpful?

We are thinking of going for the scan around the 14th of December so I would be 7+6.

Thank you in advance ❤️

SparkleUK Tue 03-Dec-19 12:29:23

Hi, I had an early scan at about 7 weeks I think. I had to tell work really early so I couldn't stand waiting so long before I could see him as I felt something terrible may happen.
Some people don't see the point of them but for me it really helped my anxiety. Just make sure you do research as there's some great private clinics that use proper sonographers and will check the health of the little one and you, others don't and are not recommended. They were able to see some heart activity which was really calming but just don't expect to see much, my little man looked like a long blob 😂 but it's really fascinating to then compare that to how he looks now.
Congratulations 🎊

Clangus00 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:32:22

You might not see anything until over 8 weeks.
Personally, I wouldn’t, I would just wait until the 10-12 week NHS scan. But each to their own.

ejmay90 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:40:21

@memh Firstly congratulations smile
I had an early scan due to a previous miscarriage and personally it put my mind at ease to see the heartbeat but my anxiety didn't stay away for long. A few weeks later i was panicking again.
It's nice to see a heartbeat and for me to know we had got further than the previous, also to find out it was in the right place ect but it's short lived.

It is each to their own on early scans, as what will be will be and nothing you can do to stop it unfortunately and an early scan won't prevent anything happen afterwards.

If you can hold out to the 12 weeks i would, that's what i planned for my first but couldn't this time after my loss. Now 19 weeks and all is well.

Good luck x

SmoothOrange Tue 03-Dec-19 12:40:26

I had one at 8 weeks and it was lovely to see the heartbeat but it didn't make me less anxious. I felt closer to it for seeing it which in turn, made me worry more I suppose.

ejmay90 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:42:21

@memh just to add i saw my little ones heartbeat at exactly 6 weeks as i had some spotting so brought my early scan forward, but that is still very early to see and not everyone will, so if you go to early it may make you worry more.
Mine was originally booked for 8 weeks.

Blippolbblopp Tue 03-Dec-19 12:50:57

Congratulations and good luck x

I had an early scan when i was pregnant with DD. Id gone to the scan thinking i was 7+ weeks when actually i was barely 5. They said i must of ovulated later in my cycle

We really couldnt see much at that scan ( pic included ) but it made me feel better seeing my baby. I dont have pictures from the other scans but with DD due to the losses i had scans every 2 weeks, by 7 weeks she looked like a jelly baby

The scans did help with DD as they really assured me that everything was ok, by the time we got to 20 weeks we stopped having regular scans as everything was fine

But i will say, if id of had the scans and had a MC with DD it would of hurt even more to have seen the baby so many times and then had a MC but i think id still be glad i had the scans,

Good luck op, hope it all goes well for you

user1493413286 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:55:26

I had an early scan at 7 weeks and there wasn’t much to see so to be honest I’d wait rather than pay a lot of money for one. I also think that it only reassures you for that minute and you can easily then start worrying again the next day which can go on for a long time so it’s better to find other ways for your partner to manage his worrying.

Chlosavxox Tue 03-Dec-19 12:56:44

Why would it make it worse? I think if you have one at 8 weeks (so you should defiantly have a heartbeat by then) then if you do see a heartbeat the risk of miscarriage drops dramatically so surely that would make anyone feel abit calmer!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »