Talk

Advanced search

Would you risk one steak?

(40 Posts)
CookingProblem Tue 03-Dec-19 12:16:34

We always go out for steak on Christmas eve, it's tradition. I'll be 32 weeks pregnant This year. I normally get medium rare but would you risk it just once? I'd get it done medium well.

BillywilliamV Wed 04-Dec-19 05:17:21

At 32 weeks your baby is fully developed, he/ she is just growing. Toxoplasmosis is I longer an issue.
One of the most valuable things they could teach pregnant women is risk assessment!

Newbie1981 Wed 04-Dec-19 05:18:15

Gosh, def have medium! Its not blue

NoGuarantee Wed 04-Dec-19 05:36:35

I would and did.

Also, whoever said you can't eat soft cheese and prawns - you can. You can't eat mould ripened cheese but cooked seafood is absolutely fine confused

Honeybee85 Wed 04-Dec-19 05:48:09

I also didn’t because of toxoplasmosis risk.
I have friends who did take the risk but I could never forgive myself if something went wrong, after all, it takes just 1 piece of raw meat...
You can take a bloodtest to see if you are immune to toxoplasmosis due to a previous infection.

Idroppedthescrewinthetuna Wed 04-Dec-19 06:04:33

I wouldn't have it medium rare, but if you are going put for a meal I would tell the waiting staff to tell the chef you are pregnant, they should then cook it to what is safe for you.

lifeisgoodagain Wed 04-Dec-19 06:07:55

Never heard of that, I ate rare steak pregnant with mine

lifeisgoodagain Wed 04-Dec-19 06:20:20

But then I ate cheeses, shellfish and raw fish - my best friend is Japanese and she ate it (before I was pregnant) at the time no one mentioned it was an issue, likewise my French friend scoffed at the cheese advice, listeria is very very rare from cheese (salad bags are more risky!)

1Wanda1 Wed 04-Dec-19 06:28:26

I had a steak that was cooked medium at about 20 weeks pregnant. I then worried and worried about it and wished I hadn't. At 28 weeks, I was diagnosed with a problem which can be associated with toxoplasmosis. I then worried myself sick for another 2 weeks until a scan showed baby looked ok. Even then, I was worried about damage to eyesight and other things that couldn't be seen on a scan.

My baby was born absolutely fine. However, eating that steak definitely wasn't worth the worry, and I've never really enjoyed a steak since.

1Wanda1 Wed 04-Dec-19 06:31:16

And the advice from BillyWilliamV that by 32 weeks, the baby is developed and toxoplasmosis is "most definitely not an issue", is definitely incorrect. Toxoplasmosis, caught earlier in pregnancy, can cause more serious defects, or miscarriage, but toxoplasmosis caught later in the pregnancy can still cause damage to the baby, such as damage to the retinas, causing sight loss or blindness.

Lotus90 Wed 04-Dec-19 06:35:25

Not sure why you'd risk toxoplasmosis for your baby. Just have the steak cooked well done, problem solved

BlouseAndSkirt Wed 04-Dec-19 07:53:49

“At 32 weeks your baby is fully developed, he/ she is just growing. Toxoplasmosis is I longer an issue”

Not true according to this medical paper. It seems that in early pg transmission to the foetus is much less likely but of high risk / impact if it does, while in 3rd trimester transmission (if the Mum gets infected) is 60-80% likely, but the impact lower. The baby may be born asymptomatic, but develop eye or brain problems in childhood or early adulthood.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4046541/

I would steer clear of the steak and avoid houses with cats too. All those kittens in Facebook = fluffy toxoplasmosis risk, (kittens even more risky than cats).

BlouseAndSkirt Wed 04-Dec-19 07:55:57

“then worried myself sick for another 2 weeks until a scan showed baby looked ok. Even then, I was worried about damage to eyesight and other things that couldn't be seen on a scan”
Toxoplasmosis is diagnosed from amniocentesis. It can’t be seen in a scan.

1Wanda1 Wed 04-Dec-19 10:46:01

Many apologies Blouseandskirt for my incorrect recollection of the details of my own pregnancy. In fact, the specific complication I was diagnosed with required a detailed scan and blood tests. I believe that the presence of toxoplasmosis would have been identified by the blood test in the first instance. The scan was to identify other potential issues connected with my condition.

BlouseAndSkirt Wed 04-Dec-19 22:01:46

Been through the big pregnancy scare Wanda: all consuming worry. I’m glad all was well smile

Luxembourgmama Wed 04-Dec-19 22:20:24

I ate rare steak in both pregnancies kids are fine

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »