Talk

Advanced search

Undiagnosed gestational diabetes

(10 Posts)
NoGuarantee Mon 02-Dec-19 21:02:34

I gave birth to a large baby Sunday morning and the midwifes referred my baby to the pediatrician to check whether I'd had undiagnosed GD during pregnancy.

A couple of things are listed online as 'risks' but they are mainly restricted to the birth itself from what I can see - having too big of a baby to deliver naturally and so induction being recommended etc. Obviously we are the other side if that now so not a risk. The other thing is about a pre deposition to diabetes later in life for the child.

I had no symptoms of GD during pregnancy (and midwife checked my urine for proteins at each appt) and my baby is not showing any signs of any issues - reading, pooing, weeing, sleeping fine.

I highly doubt I had it - think I've just had a whopper - but would appreciate advice about:

(a) what to look out for for any risks/concerns/issues with the baby now we are after the birth and
(b) experiences of having undiagnosed GD and any long term advice.

Thank you

Pipandmum Mon 02-Dec-19 21:08:04

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when pregnant. There is a very slight increase in risk of my children developing it but I'm not worried.
My daughter was in NICU for a week as she had no blood sugar readings at all. But no long term issues (shes 14).
It didn't seem like you had it so why worry? If you get pregnant again request a test.

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 02-Dec-19 21:11:40

There is some compelling NHS led research to suggest that a lot of the risk factors used to determine whether a woman could have GD are rubbish and more GD sufferers actually go undiagnosed than diagnosed.

For example a lot of the research around Indian women is actually based on aged studies because in the old days women were more likely to have undiagnosed diabetes.

buddhababy2019 Mon 02-Dec-19 21:12:47

My son was 7lb 9oz (at 5 weeks early) and I didn't haven't GD. This time I've been tested and came back negative and at 29 weeks this one is already measuring at 3lb 7oz so I think some people just naturally make big babies

NoGuarantee Mon 02-Dec-19 21:49:08

@Pipandmum - I suppose I'm thinking that if the risks to my baby are extensive and numerous, it's worth me trying to identify whether I had it or not. If the risks are essentially limited to the birth (no longer a concern) and increased chances of diabetes as an adult, then knowing whether I did in fact have it or not becomes less of an issue for me.

I don't imagine I'll get pregnant again. I had the GD test last time I was and didn't have it then either!

Having done some research the urine dipstick test for proteins coming back clear isn't an indicator of anything really so that's not really going to help me know whether it's likely I had it or not... Hmm...

Thanks responders, looks like there isn't much to be done now even if I did have it!

PastTippingPoint Tue 03-Dec-19 12:58:01

Proteinuria is a sign of pre-eclampsia so that wouldn't be useful in terms of GD. GD increases your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes also so I think you're meant to have annual Hba1c blood tests to make sure you're not diabetic. If baby was on the big side if you have another pregnancy they would probably recommend a Glucose tolerance test

Liverbird77 Tue 03-Dec-19 13:37:18

I am very interested in this.
I had the gtt test at 28 weeks with my first pregnancy. My initial fingerprick test was a low figure and, sure enough, I did not have it.
Then, scans showed the baby was massive, however he was 7 lbs something at birth.
Is it possible I had undiagnosed gd?
I ask because I am pregnant again. Ever since I found out, I've been eating a diabetic diet and getting loads of exercise, as I really want to avoid it.
Sorry of any of my questions are stupid, but I confess I really don't know much about this, despite trying to find out.

NoGuarantee Tue 03-Dec-19 15:51:52

I think if you didn't have a big baby and he was full term and you were tested and didn't have it, it would be unusual? I'm not an expert though. What makes you think you did have it?

Liverbird77 Tue 03-Dec-19 17:39:07

I just wondered why my baby was measuring so big, both at scans and when midwife measured my bump.
It made me think perhaps I had had it.
He was born on due date (induced).

Loops1987 Tue 03-Dec-19 18:09:39

I had GD in both my pregnancies, I'm not in a typically at-risk group but my dad has type 2.

The biggest risks for baby are as you've found, at and immediately after birth, with low blood sugars being the longer lasting risks. There is of course a higher risk of both you and baby developing type 2 later on.

You should have a blood test 12 weeks after birth and yearly after that to check your levels.

My babies were 8lb 2oz at 38 weeks and 7lb 14oz at 38+2. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks with both and on metformin in my first pregnancy and metformin and insulin the second time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »