Talk

Advanced search

when will i bloom

(21 Posts)
pud1 Wed 22-Aug-07 09:48:48

i am 16 weeks tomorrow and i feel awful. i have got pains under my left boob ( see previous thread ) which seam to be getting a little better only to be replaced by a sharp muscular pain on the left side of my bum. This gets progressively worse as the day goes on. it got to the point last night that i could only get round the kitchen at a hobble holding on to the worktops.
I am seeing my midwife today and am going to speak to her about it. I do tell my o/h but I feel like I am moaning all the time. Please tell me others are feeling like poo too.

Naetha Wed 22-Aug-07 10:04:22

Yup, blooming is a government perpetrated myth as far as I'm concerned, spread around to try and increase the birth rate.

I'm at nearly 22 weeks and while I don't feel godawful (well I do, but thats because I have a cold rather than anything else) I by no means feel great. I'd say I feel about 80% of how I felt before I got pregnant.

I don't really mind this so much, means to an end and all that, but I find it frustrating when all the baby books and websites keep telling me how great I should be feeling, how much energy I should have, and how my sex drive should go through the roof.

Its all a load of bollocks in my experience.

JARM Wed 22-Aug-07 10:04:58

Im still waiting at 26weeks!

pud1 Wed 22-Aug-07 10:08:45

thank the lord. i am not on my own. my o/h reads my magazines and tells me that i should be feeling on top of the world. i feel like battering him.

sparklygothkat Wed 22-Aug-07 10:10:54

Am 29 weeks and still waiting, I feel like poo, have no engery, and just feel v.v.v. uncomfortable 24/7

ConnorTraceptive Wed 22-Aug-07 10:15:53

nope no blooming here either. When people ask me how long I've got left they probably mean to "live" I really look and feel quite shite.

designerbaby Wed 22-Aug-07 10:19:32

I think you should batter him... (everso gently of course) each and every time he tells you what you should be feeling rather than listening and sympathising with how you do feel... which, frankly is his job right now.

I'm now 31 and a bit weeks and have yet to feel that amzing 'blooming' thing - energetic, full of life etc... Mostly I just feel knackered... What's not helping is that my face is blooming - suddenly have great skin and rosy cheeks for the first time in my life - which means that people assume I feel great too, but unfortunately theres a bit (!?) of a mismatch between my face and how I feel...

FWIW though the second trimester for me was definitelly the worst (despite ALL the books telling me it shold be the best) I felt really terrible through most of it and managed to go down with 2 colds, a chest infection and food poisoning duriing those three months... It's also when I felt the most down about things too.

And it's also your o/h's job to listen to all your moaning without complaint... it's the least he can do!! And you are entitled to moan at him as much as you like IMHO...

Still, hope it gets better for you and you have a blooming third trimester

DB
xx

j20baby Wed 22-Aug-07 10:23:12

i'm 34 wks and have varying degree's of feeling like crap.

oh but i did have about 2 days at around 20 wks where i felt ok and apparantly looked like i was bloomimg, even got chatted up!

lizziemun Wed 22-Aug-07 10:37:51

I'm 38+6 and have missed the nice blooming stage .

The only blooming i have done is get blooming bigger and blooming uncomfortable.

neuroticlady Wed 22-Aug-07 10:48:18

pud1 I too am 16 wks on Friday and I still feel pretty rubbish - tired, more so than 1st trimester, chucking up, tho mercifully less this trimester - and I look shit, too. Skin is so spotty it's totally depressing, hair certainly not thick and glossy, and by the evenings I look like I'm 40 weeks pg with sextuplets, I'm so bloated up. My clothes fit like a sausage skin, and that's with the buttons undone... Is it normal to get this bloated and does anyone have any tips for trapped wind? SORRY. I know it's gross. Let's hope we all start blooming (and in my case deflating) soon...

pud1 Wed 22-Aug-07 11:05:40

you are all making me feel much better. it doesmake you wonder where these books and websites get there information on about blooming in the second trimester.

orangina Wed 22-Aug-07 11:24:23

Pud1, I'm not pg any more, but I felt just terrible for both of my pregnancies and NEVER bloomed at all. Definitely a myth. Also, I felt particularly depressed and low in the 2nd trimester of my 2nd pregnancy. Also had that shooting pain on one side of my bum, BUT (positive news coming up here! ), I went to see an osteopath for the shooting pain (probably trapped sciatic nerve), who sorted it out almost completely in 1 session. Helped massively not hobbling around feeling extra sorry for myself.
I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad, but the good thing is, that all my symptoms disappeared almost IMMEDIATELY after babe was born. I'm so happy not to be pregnant any more, despite tiredness, sore boobs etc.

theressomethingaboutmarie Wed 22-Aug-07 12:26:26

the "blooming" stage definitely appeared to be a myth for me too. I felt pants up until about 16 weeks and never felt energetic! I'm now 33 wks pregnant and now feel knackered with regular back ache and find that I waddle rather than walk.

sweetboy Wed 22-Aug-07 12:26:38

I think blooming happens AFTER you give birth & in the weeks/months that follow. With myself & with friends I have noticed a lovely bloming phase-and this despite lack of sleep & (with me) feeling like shit. Ironic.

theressomethingaboutmarie Wed 22-Aug-07 12:27:36

Neuroticlady - I highly recommend M&S peppermints for trapped wind. Certainly get me parping away anyway

haychee Wed 22-Aug-07 12:32:57

I never bloomed, not even for one day during my 2 pregnancies! Not even for a few hours!
Probobly not what you want to hear, but i was expecting to bloom and didnt at all-so was a bit of a let down. Infact i was just tearful, tired and angry most of the time.

neuroticlady Wed 22-Aug-07 13:16:09

theressomethingaboutmary, oh if only I could parp parp I'd feel so much better. I'll get my hands on peppermints pronto - hopefully before I inflate so much the roof blows off the house

Lizzer Wed 22-Aug-07 13:26:54

I've forced blooming! Seriously! I was waiting for the lovely hair, skin and pert bump and nothing hapened, but now at 24w I've decided to treat myself to the spa (swimming might help your muscle pain pud1), a facial and a massage. Drinking loads of water, eating some delicious food,buying some clinique treats,taking a few unpaid days off work and buying a pair of maternity jeans (bliss) Its working!

Go on, you're worth it! (I keep thinking about the money
I've saved not going on nights out-its about the same)

rozzyraspberry Wed 22-Aug-07 14:01:24

I will be 16 weeks on Saturday and although I feel ok I'm having the same skin problems as you neuroticlady. I have never been so spotty in my life - not even as a teenager. Also still don't have much energy but on the whole can't really complain I suppose (although I do!!).

pud1 Wed 22-Aug-07 14:41:41

have just got back from the midwife. the pain in my arse is sciatica, have been told to watch my posture and to take a cushion in to work to support my back. She told me that it might get worse as baby grows.
i heard the heartbeat for the first time. it was 141 which she said was really strong. it was amazing and makes it all worth while. i could jump for joy ( but pain in the arse wont let me)

orangina Wed 22-Aug-07 16:42:34

pud1, congrats on hearing the baby's heartbeat, it is exciting isn't it? I really would recommend seeing an osteopath for your sciatica... it really improved mine massively with just 1 session (if the NHS won't provide it for you, perhaps you could pay for a session or 2?)..... you will feel a LOT better.... good luck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now