Talk

Advanced search

Birth plan!! I have no idea what to do.

(18 Posts)
sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 20:40:34

Am 29 weeks and have no idea what I should be writing on my birthplan. I had a C/S with DS and premature births with DD1 and DD2, with DD1 I was forced to lay on my back and couldn't move. DD2 was a 'all four' delivery' but was monitored throughout, and couldn't move off the bed. I hope that I will carry to term this time, but have no idea what I can ask for..

sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 21:07:36

bump

babyblue2 Tue 21-Aug-07 21:08:59

No sorry can't help. I didn't have one for either of mine except that I didn't want a C/S but that was about it. I'm sure others have a full list of do's and don'ts but for me it was just get on with it and get baby out!

lizziemun Tue 21-Aug-07 21:17:40

I have just done mine, am 38 + 5 (and having a few twinges so i thought i should).

Does your midwife notes have a section on birth plans. Mine has, it suggestions of what you can do.

crokky Tue 21-Aug-07 21:20:46

sparklygothkat: I have only had one (37 weeks) and I was continuously monitored. IMO if you end up labouring with a prem baby monitoring is the way to go.

If I were you I would write something like, "I would like to take things as they come and discuss with MW/doc the best way forwards if there are options".

FWIW I am pg again. I think monitored births which may end up with epidural/instruments go better if you relax and don't worry about it not being particularly natural. It is likely this one will need also to be 36/37 weeks and I have accepted and am happy with the fact that it will not be particularly natural!!

The thing that matters the most is that you and baby are in both in one piece at the end. I recovered OK from epis/forceps etc quite quickly and don't regret it, given the circumstances of the birth.

crokky Tue 21-Aug-07 21:21:23

If you panic, remember you are a pro - this is your 4th!

Twinklemegan Tue 21-Aug-07 21:25:42

Hi Sparklygothkat. Can I just sound a word of warning about birth plans. I had a birth plan specifying the usual stuff about staying active, minimal intervention, not to be offered pain relief apart from gas & air unless I ask for it. It turns out my labour wasn't straightforward - it was incredibly painful right from the beginning with no respite at all - but the midwives didn't pick up on this. I was desperate for pain relief early on (my contractions were really strong from when my waters broke) and I asked for gas and air. This was refused.

I have thought about this a lot since, and discussed it with others on here. It is possible that gas and air was refused in case I went on to need stronger pain relief (which my birth plan said I didn't want) and then complained. I don't know that this was the reason, but the horrendous pain I was experiencing was definitely not taken seriously. Staying active was the wrong thing for me because I was just in too much pain, but it was on my birth plan and I think they assumed I was just being a bit pathetic. That time when I was sent for baths, walks, etc. still haunts me a year on.

So all I'm saying is just be careful and make sure you find out the potential consequences of any requests you make. HTH.

sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 21:26:59

With DD2 I remember writing something like 'I would like a natural deliverly but if prem. and need a C/S just keep me informed'

Would I be allowed a water birth? Or to walk about if I get to 37 weeks? Or will they not allow me becaue of my history?

Twinklemegan Tue 21-Aug-07 21:29:10

X posted with Croccy. I couldn't agree more. At the end of the day, all any of us want is to be kept informed and be fully involved in any decisions about our care. If I had my time again, my birth plan would be something along the lines of "Please let me do what I want, when I want, barring any medical constraints".

Twinklemegan Tue 21-Aug-07 21:31:25

Obviously there are medical constraints in your case Sparklygothkat, so my ramblings might not be that relevant. I'm meeting the consultant tomorrow to discuss what happened, and you're the lucky OP I chose to work through my thoughts on. Sorry!

crokky Tue 21-Aug-07 21:33:29

SGC a 37 week baby, although it may be medically defined as "term" is nothing like term IME. Unless your body grows babies extremely quickly! You can be detatched from the monitors if you want to have a brief walk, but I would try and treat the monitors as your friend.

sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 21:35:39

Don't worry TM, I just have no idea what I can ask for. I delivered both my girls with G&A (my choice) though I did have pethadin (sp?) forced onto me with Dd2. I just remember wanting to move onto my side with DD1 and being forced back onto my back by the doctor.. I hated that doctor

sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 21:36:35

ok 38 weeks then I have no idea what term is classed as, as have never carried to further than 35 weeks

Heated Tue 21-Aug-07 21:43:51

I wrote a birth plan for my first delivery like a good girl and got virtually none of what I put on there - I think my mw took it as a challenge!

I didn't bother with my 2nd delivery, the consequence was the medical staff talked to me and I got exactly what I asked for

sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 21:48:25

So everyone thinks 'don't bother' lol TBH I can't be bothered to sit and write it all

SlightlyMadStar Tue 21-Aug-07 22:02:23

37 weeks is classified as term from a medical point of view. There may be differences as far as size of baby is concerned etc. but it is where the line is drawn for classifcation of 'risk' and 'management' needed during labour (i.e. can you be dealt with soley by MWs or will Drs automatically be involved).

When I was preg with DD3 I wanted a birth on the active birth centre section of the hosp. As I was under a consultant for prem prevention until 32wks I was not allowed to register witht eh birth centre until she had discharged me. And even then if I have gone into labour before 37wks I would have been referred straight back to consultant on the "consultant led unit".

So when (not if ) you get to 37wks you should be treated as any other woman in labour and your history as far as the prem labour is concerned should become irrelevant. But the clexane would have to be considered, and other than the issues with epidural you should check with your MW/Dr as to if & how this will limit your choices in labour.

My biggest advice agrees with TM. I have heard that in some hospitals the birth plan is set in stone and treated as a contract. I have heard of people being refused epidurals because it wasn't specified in the birth plan and the hosptial didn't want to be sued. So whatever you do leave the options open (but there is nothing wrong with saying "I do not under any circumstances want to be offered/given pethidine").

As for what to put in

Pain relief
Position for labour birth
Monitoring preferences (continous/intermittent sonicaid)
Do you want to discover sex or do you want to be told
Do you/DH want to cut cord
Do you want managed 3rd stage/pysiological/delayed cord clamping
What do you want them to do with baby immediately after birth? (straight on your tummy, cleaned before giving you him/her, cleaned and wrapped?)
Do you want baby to have vitamin K? (oral/injection?)
Do you want them to help you put baby straight to breast (or allow baby crawling or bottle feed?)

sparklygothkat Tue 21-Aug-07 22:07:11

Thanks SMS, you must be fed up with me now With the girls, I was rushed in, and had no time to prepare myself. I was lucky that I needed no strong drugs, but i don;t want the pethadine.

SlightlyMadStar Tue 21-Aug-07 22:30:41

I am not fed up of you at all. I am willing you to go all the way, I will be checing for hourly updates to see you are still here soon in the same way as I checked for 5min updates on Peter .

Another good one to include is:

Will you allow student MWs/Drs to observe/participate in delivering your baby
Do you want to refuse stirrups/laying on back unless medically necessary (e.g. instrumental delivery)
Do you want any 'birth aids' fetching at outset of labour (if available - e.g. birthing ball, birthing stool - highly recommended for speeding up labour)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now