Talk

Advanced search

Time for maternity bras?

(18 Posts)
sarahloumadam Tue 21-Aug-07 10:29:05

I am 27 weeks, bursting out of my current bras and wondering if I should look at maternity bras now or if it is too soon? Thanks !

pobletsmum Tue 21-Aug-07 10:33:41

Maternity yes, but not nursing. Mat bras are generally just soft cup ones, not underwired. It's really important to wear non-wired during pregnancy. It is recommended that you buy nursing bras (with clip or whatever for feeding) as close to birth as poss, but not more than 4 weeks before. Your boobs will keep growing and growing...

RGPargy Tue 21-Aug-07 10:36:02

Actually underwired are fine during pg, as long as they actually fit properly and the wires are not digging into your boobs at all. If you have yourself measured for a bra then you'll get the right size and underwired will be fine.

sarahloumadam Tue 21-Aug-07 10:40:04

Aahh I am getting maternity/nursing bras mixed up - doh! Can't you tell I'm a first-timer. Thanks pobletsmum. I actually have some underwired/some not and the underwired don't dig in at all whereas the soft cup ones leave nasty red marks (wrong size?). Will have to go bra shopping this weekend, not my favourite activity!

Scampynoodle Tue 21-Aug-07 10:50:19

Ok, call me dim, but can you tell me what the prob is with underwired bras? I'm relying on them at the mo to keep my tits from resting on my knees.

I've tried maternity bras but just can't find the support that I need. They are all so saggy!

Ta, like

Cx

sarahloumadam Tue 21-Aug-07 11:30:47

Have read that underwiring damages the breast tissue but not convinced, I am not particularly big but underwired bras feel more comfy and don't dig in but "soft" ones have nasty elasticated bottoms that really hurt! Was told off by the 18 year old who measured me last time and had to sneak back and buy some underwired ones later - ridiculous !

RGPargy Tue 21-Aug-07 11:34:45

Underwired bras only damage breast tissue if they are ill-fitting or aren't the right size.

Lizzer Tue 21-Aug-07 11:52:22

Yup, I wore underwired all the way through last time and bfed for a year- load of b@!$*ck s if you ask me and I completely agree with the saggy theory. Why make yourself feel even shitter about your body?

(PS if you need to buy a bigger size but don't want to spend a fortune as you may not need it for that long, try red herring in Debenhams-I got a really funky 60's flower one for £10 and they go up to DD cup I think - matching hotpants style knicks too,fit great under bump!)

missbumpy Tue 21-Aug-07 12:00:20

lol sarahlou I had exactly the same thing in M&S the other week. I'm with RGPargy on the underwiring thing and I've been wearing well-fitting underwired bras throughout (now 32 weeks). Went to get a new one in M&S last week and was going to buy it when the changing room assistant told me loudly in front of lots of people that I couldn't because I'm pregnant and I'd damage my milk ducts if I wore a wire. I felt so embarrassed that I just put it down and left .
Non-wired bras are useless if you're a bit busty. Having said that, I'm thinking of getting a Freya nursing bra soon... this one. It looks quite sturdy and goes up to an H cup. I'd be interested to know if any other MNers have tried it.

designerbaby Tue 21-Aug-07 12:02:49

I steered clear of underwired because I'd been told to - with hindsight I probably would have gone to Bravissimo instead...

I've been in nursing bras for weeks now - simply because they were the only no-underwired ones I could find which still offered support (even then it wasn't easy) - although I'm sure I'll have to get re-fitted for when I actually AM nursing.

FWIW though I've found this one

http://www.figleaves.com/uk/product.asp?product_id=FRA-AA2033&mci=&size=&colour=&image=r439447-p 439919-style

which is actually quite pretty, has no underwires and gives me plenty of support (I'm now about a 34 F...). It is a nursing bra, but not so as you'd notice...

HTH
DB
xx

designerbaby Tue 21-Aug-07 12:04:38

Oh - snap Miss B - cross posted.
Yes, I've been wearing it for weeks, and I'm huge and have been for some time now.
It's great... washes well too.

DB
xx

theressomethingaboutmarie Tue 21-Aug-07 12:15:37

I've been getting measured every 4 weeks or so at House of Fraser by an experienced fitter and have been able to remain in underwired bras. She said that as long as you are wearing a good fit, you can continue to wear underwired bras. She never points me in the direction of the expensive bras either - I've not spent more than £20 on a bra each time (I'm wearing Triumph ones I think) and they don't dig in at all.

missbumpy Tue 21-Aug-07 12:16:18

Thanks designerbaby
Maybe I'll give it a go. I thought it looked OK in black. Wondering if I should hold off for a few weeks though and get it closer to my EDD so I can actually wear it as a nursing bra. If I buy it now I'll probably grow out of it by the time the baby comes.

morningglory Tue 21-Aug-07 13:57:33

Wacol (do they sell in the UK?) do a great non-wired support bra. Looks and feels like a wired, but no wires. They are, day I say it, sexy too. If anyone is going the the US, Victoia's Secret do a similar non-wired, but underwire looking bra (I'm on holiday there and have stocked up!)

RGPargy Tue 21-Aug-07 14:00:09

Never heard of either of those MG. Seeing as you're on holiday there, can i put my order in with you now?

morningglory Tue 21-Aug-07 14:20:02

Not a problem. Oh,it's Victoria's Secret (I really cannot type!). e-mail me if you want, and I'll be happy to pick some up (jennahan@hotmail.com).

RGPargy Tue 21-Aug-07 14:27:03

MG I was joking!! How kind of you to offer tho! However, i will decline thankyouverymuch because i have no idea what size i currently am. I am going to go and get measured next weekend tho.

Thanx again, how lovely of you!!

GoodGollyMissMolly Tue 21-Aug-07 14:32:25

So you can actually wear underwired bras, EXCELLENT

I got told off by the lady in mothercare for wearing an underwired bra. I have been in soft cup from about 14 weeks. Have gone up to a 38J.
I will be digging my underwired bras out tonight then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now