Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Should I be scared to fly or even cancel?????

(21 Posts)
loisstella Mon 20-Aug-07 15:05:44

I am 5 weeks pregnant today.
Little anxious about mis-carrying (I have no real reason for this - just one of those people who stress) and am flying to Ireland this week. That's a one hour flight and I am hoping that is okay.

I am also flying to NYC in week 11.
My GP said its no problem, just wear flight socks, drink plenty, and take regular stretches and walks.
I travel absolutely loads for work... and I've just read somewhere that its not a good idea to fly before week 15...
Anyone around who can calm my nerves? Or anyone who thinks flying really is a very bad idea?

scorpio1 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:07:09

i flew at 13 weeks...fine, no probs, just needed to drink alot of water. i flew for 3 hours.

lisad123 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:09:01

I flew at 11 weeks and the only thing i would say is I found out i get air sick when pregnant ( idont normally). Also the food changes didnt help morning sickness.

Good luck
lisa

loisstella Mon 20-Aug-07 15:10:25

thanks guys - very quick and already feel a lot better!

scorpio1 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:10:47

at NYC though.....

mosschops30 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:11:07

I flew when 11 wks, was fine

Have a nice time

loisstella Mon 20-Aug-07 15:15:36

teehee - Scorpio - just told the husband that maybe we should upgrade - it would be so much more comfortable for me (we're going for the one year anniversary).
I think he's falling for it!

mixedmama Mon 20-Aug-07 15:19:03

Should be fine.

I flew 4 hours to Turkey when preg last time at around week 12-14 and then flew back had three days rest then fleww off to Seychelles (11 hours) and then Dubai = plenty of hours. It shouldnt be a problem. Couldnt eat much and was sick on the flights tho, but was sick everywhere most of the time anyway.

scorpio1 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:23:20

go on loisstella, i would!

mosschops30 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:24:53

loiss who are you flying with?

loisstella Mon 20-Aug-07 15:29:44

British Airways - why????

tribpot Mon 20-Aug-07 15:30:50

I was still working in Sweden when I got pregnant with ds, so I was flying twice a week, no probs at all.

mosschops30 Mon 20-Aug-07 15:31:14

Just wondered, I had a free upgrade with Aer Lingus once who are the best airline I have ever flown with. If you have any type of problem they seemed to bend over backwards to help.
Hmmmm .... BA not so sure worth a try though?

loisstella Mon 20-Aug-07 15:39:13

not sure BA are big on the free upgrades, but hope hubby is putting us in economy plus, which we've done before and is loads better (more leg and stretch room). I can then always try to blag a further upgrade at check in....
I've always had great service with BA.

More concerned about the easyjet flight on Friday.....

MrsMcJnr Mon 20-Aug-07 15:43:53

Loisstella - I totally understand your fear. I have had a MC and have a blood condition which means my risk of DVT is higher than most peoples. I have still flown 3 times this pregnancy though and all was fine. Planning to do it in a few weeks time at 24 weeks too. Drink plenty, wear the socks and walk about and you should be fine

mixedmama Mon 20-Aug-07 15:49:21

Ugghhh.. easyjet. in my non-pregnant state i just cant stand them. i just find them so bad, and dont understand how not allocating seats makes things quicker... drives me nuts never ever again not even for an hour.

Naetha Mon 20-Aug-07 16:06:24

I flew to Sharm el Sheikh when I was 4 weeks pregnant, and back when I was 5. I also drank my own bodyweight in alcohol that week, as well as ate everything unpasteurised, unwashed, unsanitised etc etc.

I'm now at 21 weeks and everything is fine so far

Cazzybaby Mon 20-Aug-07 17:26:05

I'm flying next week and will be 19 weeks, did not even consider cancelling holiday as dont know when next one will be with little bub on the way!!

Enjoy your anniversary xx

LackingNicknameInspiration Mon 20-Aug-07 18:14:19

You'll be fine - I went to Hong Kong (and back, of course) at 13 weeks and no probs whatsoever - though you might want to check your travel insurance covers you if you haven't already (otherwise, if you had any problems - and I'm sure you won't - they're unlikely to pay out which is a consideration with US medical bills - best to call them and disclose the fact so it's on your policy schedule) and you might also need a fit to fly certificate - would just check with airline. Apparently, some people urge caution before 12 weeks because of higher radiation levels which is why cabin crew are grounded (but then think how much flying they do) - all the research I did when deciding to go/chat with doctor stopped me worrying about it though as general consensus that the risk very low.

Have a lovely time!

mummylittle Wed 22-Aug-07 18:53:13

I found out I was pregnant 1 week before my wedding so lavish honeymoon was already booked and paid for. I was 12 weeks pregnant, and I flew to new york then onto mexico and it was absolutely fine, just had to get up a stretch a few times.
You should be covered with all holiday insurance policies as long as you are no further than 28 weeks (i think!)
Enjoy your holiday and dont worry!! Its the worrying thats not good for you!!

Bouquetsofdynomite Wed 22-Aug-07 20:20:04

It's a great wheeze even if you're not pg to say you have morning sickness at check-in and ask if you can have a seat near the loo or at least an aisle seat.
Do drink lots and try to sleep as much as poss - I got awful jetlag combined with m/s and preggy fatigue going to Las Vegas. Had a 3hr window each day where I was strong enough to leave the hotel room . DH had a whale of a time watching sports in bars and chatting to barflies (allegedly.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: