Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I insist my GP refers me for nuchal fold scan?

(22 Posts)
AllBuggiedOut Thu 16-Aug-07 22:10:44

My local hospital doesn't offer nuchal fold screening to give stats for Down syndrome, but I am interested in having a scan to determine my risk. Does anybody know if I can insist that my GP refers me to a hospital that does it? I know we are supposed to have a choice of hospitals for some things, but don't know if this is one as the NHS website seems to suggest there are some limits for pregnancy-related things. Any info welcomed, thanks.

PinkSuitsPeterLGJ Thu 16-Aug-07 22:13:41

Why can't you do it privately.

The NHS has limited resources.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 16-Aug-07 22:17:17

Not as limited as mine!

gess Thu 16-Aug-07 22:18:34

no you can't. You can get a private one though. Do they offer blood tests instead?

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Thu 16-Aug-07 22:19:35

But if you have a child with DS it is not the end of the world. They have so much to give, they are wonderful children and grow into wonderful adults.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 16-Aug-07 22:20:26

Yes, blood test at 16 weeks. Do you know why the scans are excluded - or where I could find out?

barbamama Thu 16-Aug-07 22:22:46

That's not what she asked. I think you should be able to press for one if you are 35+ according to current guidelines. Might be harder if you are younger. I was routinely offered them with both pg's here in London and also had a cvs on the NHS with this pg after asking my doctor to refer me for one. I think it is pretty much in the hands of your GP (they can refer you out of area) so that is who you need to convince.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 16-Aug-07 22:22:58

Don't disagree with a word of that Bree

AllBuggiedOut Thu 16-Aug-07 22:24:21

I kind of figured it would be down the the GP, as you say barbamama, which is why I'm interested to find out as much as I can before asking.

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Thu 16-Aug-07 22:24:51

Thank you ABO....

gess Thu 16-Aug-07 22:28:44

Depends where you are. I had them routinely with ds1 and ds2 (London) not with ds3 (Devon). There was nowhere for the GP to refer to- the only thing they could suggest was private a 2 hour journery away in Bristol. Didn't bother.

AllBuggiedOut Thu 16-Aug-07 22:31:24

We're an hour from London - likewise had them as routine with the first 2 DSs when we were in London. And am 36 so sufficiently elderly I think!

potoroo Thu 16-Aug-07 22:31:31

I don't know that many hospitals offer nuchal fold scans on NHS for below 35 - certainly none of the 4 big hospitals in my area do - you need to go privately.

potoroo Thu 16-Aug-07 22:33:36

Like Gess said, even if you can get a referral out here in the country areas there are still only a few places that can do it - not usually at the hospitals.

I live in West Berkshire and the places that offer scanning (privately) were Oxford, Swindon (private hospital) and Banbury I think.

barbamama Thu 16-Aug-07 22:34:36

Ask your GP to refer you to one of the London Hospitals eg Kings - I used to work there and people were referred from all over the country for nuchal scans (and other procedures). St Georges do a lot too. Need a GP referral though.

AllBuggiedOut Fri 17-Aug-07 09:24:06

I am hoping she will agree to refer me to a London hospitals ( had the last ones at Chelsea and Westminster where it is routine for all patients, regardless of age). Think the only ones locally are private. I just would like to know my rights before I ask...

Feedmenow Fri 17-Aug-07 09:26:09

Haven't read allposts so might be repeating something - sorry if I do.

I have recently had through my date for my 12 week scan and with it came a bookletproduced by the National Screening Committee called Screening tests for you and your baby. In the DS section it says that all pregnant women are now offered tests for DS. What tests are there other than nuchal fold?

fleacircus Fri 17-Aug-07 09:30:09

There's a bloodtest and it sounds as if that's being offered to you, AllBuggiedOut, unless I've misread posts, in which case sorry. My hospital (Whittington in North London) did combined test which is nuchal fold plus blood tests. I don't think the blood test is less accurate than the scan but I've thrown all my leaflets away now I've had it done.

Piffle Fri 17-Aug-07 09:31:51

We got one out of area because our previous child had a rare genetic disorder which cna show up in nuchal fold scanning.

that is the only reason we got one

you need to go private

AllBuggiedOut Fri 17-Aug-07 09:38:35

You're right, fleacircus, am being offered blood test, but that's not until 16 weeks then 2 week wait for results. Nuchal results are immediate at 12 weeks, obviously. Am impatient

janinlondon Fri 17-Aug-07 09:57:17

Postcode lottery of Down's syndrome screening tests depending on what your local health authority can afford. But I'm not sure if anyone still offers nuchal on its own as a screening test.

Jackstini Fri 17-Aug-07 10:00:09

Allbuggied out - don't forget that although Nuchal results are immediate they only give the risk - not a definate yes or no. You would still need a CVS or amnio for that.
Good luck with getting referred though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now