Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Normal birth after C - Section??

(9 Posts)
steph101 Thu 16-Aug-07 16:03:26

Does anybody know if its recommended to have a normal birth after the 1st pregnancy ended up with an emergency c-section? Do you have the option of both or not? Its putting me off trying again until I know the answers!! Thanks

buffythenappyslayer21 Thu 16-Aug-07 16:09:00

hi steph,i had a normal birth after an emergency cs (but my cs was my number 4 baby! not my first!)

i asked for a cs with my last pregnancy but teh consultant said no as there was no medical reason for it.so i had dd naturally.

ive been told that if you have had a cs,some hospitals will give you the choice,and some like you to have a trial by labour.

im expecting number 6 now and have been offered a cs this time.im still not decided on what to do!(i was offered it after last labour lasted for 22 1/2 hours!after i was induced and im terrified of having another long labour!!)

i also suppose it will depend on the reason why you had emergency cs aswell,they might consider that if you get pg again.

cbcb Thu 16-Aug-07 16:09:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fryalot Thu 16-Aug-07 16:10:19

there are some stories here which may help.

good luck

NKF Thu 16-Aug-07 16:11:11

I think if you had a c-section the first time, you're usually allowed to choose an elective one in subsequent pregnancies. Having a vbac can, I think, depend on why you had the c-section the first time.

steph101 Thu 16-Aug-07 16:26:11

Hi thanks for replying, I had a section with her as i had 18 hours of a very nasty labour and at 10cm she moved her head and got stuck!!! It has really put me off and I wanted to know my options before I start thinking about it!

sinat54 Wed 22-Aug-07 15:13:14

hi,
I had a VB after Em CS first time, i was determined to push one out!
It was a bit touch and go through out the labour whether I would need CS again. People asked me after which was better, CS was horrible especially as i was Em and VB had loads of stitches which was agony for a good few weeks. Still preferred that to CS looking back now (fully recovered)!!
I would say go for normal delivery if no medical reason not to. one thing to keep in mind is that they kept me on continuous monitoring and weren't happy for me to use the pool/bath etc
Good luck,

NAB3 Wed 22-Aug-07 15:23:05

Had baby number 1 by emergency section and the next 2 by VBAC. You will be able to have a section if you want but I would advise going for a VABC if possible.

ejt1764 Wed 22-Aug-07 15:28:23

I'm currently 34 weeks pg with ds2 and am going for a vbac.

You cannot be forced into having a C Section if you don't want one, but conversely, you can usually opt for an elective if you want one.

There's an awful lot of talk of being "allowed" to do certain things - but tbh the choice of where and how you deliver is yours ... the HPs can advise certain courses of action, but you don't have to take that course of action if you don't agree with it!

For instance, if you do go for a vbac, you will be advised to go for a very medicalised birth, with cefm, time limits on labour etc., (I was), but I have done what's called "declined" the cpackage of care offred to vbac women, and am booked into the MLU of our local hospital, and am going to labour in water. It's taken a lot of effort to get to this stage, and every now and then I have a little wobble, and feel like an elective would be easier, but in my heart of hearts I know that I can do this ...

If you do decide to go for a vbac, then there's a really good support group here ... there's also lots of lovely ladies who will point you in the right direction.

Good luck with ttc!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now