Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tired and fed up :(

(15 Posts)
rascal1979 Thu 16-Aug-07 10:43:09

I've not slept properly for weeks (waking up every hour from 1am) and it's really starting to take it's toll on me. Almost in tears this morning when I realised it was time to get up.

I don't have any trouble falling asleep nor getting back to sleep when I wake up but the constant waking up is making me sooooo tired. The only ting that I can put my finger on which migt be the caus eis each time I wake up my mouth and tongue is like the Saharah desert! So I think I must be sleeping with my mouth open (never did this pre pregnancy) and this is what wakes me up.

Anybody else had a similar thing/know why this is happening or am I just odd!!??

LilyLoo Thu 16-Aug-07 10:45:17

How far pg are you ?
I wake up often right through my pg's more often than not to go to the toilet, look at it as sleep depriavetion training with the luxury of being able to go back to sleep when you wake !

iris66 Thu 16-Aug-07 10:45:47

how far pg are you? Excessive thirst at night can be a symptom of diabetes (though it has been very warm lately)
I'm 28wks and have a problem sleeping beyond 3am so I do sympathise. No real advice but do try to rest during the day

rascal1979 Thu 16-Aug-07 11:06:25

Hello tahnks for your replies!
I'm just coming up to 14 weeks so had all the urine and blood tests only 3 weeks ago so don't thinkit's diabetes - it's not really exessive thirst mor a product of me keeping my mouth open!

Everyone keeps saying that it is training for when baby is here but I REALLY want to make the most of my sleep now and anyway I'm a quick learner!! so dodn't need loads of practice!

I work FT and really busy at the moment so no chance of a rest/early finish at the moment. I used to exercise a fair bit - Yoga, walking and Gym and currently so tired (and all day sickness) only really managing the walking (4 miles twice a week) - wonder if lack of exercise is the cause???

designerbaby Thu 16-Aug-07 12:11:08

Oooooh that one really p's me off:
"It's practice for when your baby comes along"

It's like saying that going on a crash diet is 'good practice' for starvation.

Total bollocks, and not very bloody helpful for someone who's so tired they could cry...

With you on this one rascal... What I wouldn't give for a good night's sleep, although with me it's back/hip ache keeping me awake - or the all too frequent need to pee... but then I'm 30 weeks, so you've got a bit of time before you have to contend with that stuff.

Maybe you're sleeping on your back which is causing you to have your mouth open? In which case it might be worth investing in a pregnancy pillow to encourage you to sleep on your side - which you'll ahve to start doing before too long anyway...

Just a thought - I find practical suggestions more helpful than platitudes at this point

DB
xx

rascal1979 Thu 16-Aug-07 12:45:05

Thanks Designerbaby I don't think that I am sleeping on my back cos I do wake each and every time on my side...

I think I will probably invest in a pillow anyway this weekend to make sleeping on my side more comfortable - any suggestions of best places to buy? I've seen one in Mothercare for about £25....

RGPargy Thu 16-Aug-07 12:54:42

I just use an ordinary pillow and just fold it in half and stick it under my top knee. Sorted.

designerbaby Thu 16-Aug-07 13:24:01

I tried with ordinary pillows, but gave up and bit the bullet - they always ended up on the floor and I ended up on my back gasping for air...

The one I got is basically just long and thin (about 5ft x 10in or thereabouts) so you can basically shove it in/around/about wherever you need it. Got it from bloomin' marvelous but there are lots out there. HOWEVER many of then are bean-bag types which seemed a bit on the hard side when compacted, the BM one was soft which seemed like it would be more comfortable...

Wasm't too expensive - 'bout £20? Worth every penny IMHO.

We just went on hols for a week and managed to forget it - didn't get a good night's sleep all week no matter what I tried!

We've christened the pillow BOB - since there are evidently 3 of us in the bed now...

Rascal - are you drinking enough fluids during the day? Your requirement will only increase, so you need to make sure you're drinking enough...

Another possible side effect of pregnancy is a blocked nose - which could also cause you to sleep with your mouth open during the night - maybe try a light monthol on your pillow Vic or Carvol or somesuch - to keep your tubes clear?

HTH

DB
xx

rascal1979 Thu 16-Aug-07 16:25:25

Thanks Designerbaby. I def think I will invest one of those pregnancy pillows!

I don't think I have a blocked nose but willing to try anything so will get the vicks vapour out tonight!

I am drinking plenty during the day - wondered if by body needs more at night cos of this! kind of withdrawal once I go to bed!

mixedmama Thu 16-Aug-07 17:00:19

The problem with needing the water at night is you will then bbe wokken up by needing the toilet.

rascal1979 Thu 16-Aug-07 21:33:12

lol I had that for the first few weeks - seems to have worn off for now!

aikigypsy Fri 17-Aug-07 02:33:36

Did you have trouble sleeping pre-pregnancy? I found that at about 14 weeks (28 weeks now and wondering where the time went) my old insomnia came back, partly because I had a lot on my mind, maybe partly hormones, and also because of the weather (much too hot). I needed to drink even more, or my body just wouldn't relax. Also I wasn't exercising as much. Have you tried shorter stints of exercise, more often? Like maybe a very brisk 1- or 2-mile walk after work every day, rather than 4 miles twice a week? I also found that some mild stretching right before bed helped a lot. Good luck with it!

beller Fri 17-Aug-07 09:48:05

rascal - i have the same thing..i wake up with a really dry mouth when i need the loo, so kill 2 birds with one stone...gulp of water and a loo trip. I drink LOADS of water during the day, so not sure..I dont have blocked nose either..will bring it up with the midwife nxt time i see her (im 21weeks).
Im thinking about a pillow too!
x

loler Fri 17-Aug-07 10:01:18

I'm 38 and a bit weeks - am also tired and fed up. Not enough room for me and the pillow in the bed! Also find I'm sleeping with my mouth open and have started to wake myself up snoring!

Think I will probably have more sleep when this baby gets here!

rascal1979 Fri 17-Aug-07 14:06:26

Thanks for all your replies. I'm planning on a walk after work today - If I have the energy - failing that will walk tomorrow with DH. Also planning on getting a pillow this weekend and a large tub of vicks vapour!

Not feeling as tired today as I did yesterday but still need more sleep to function normally! So any more ideas will be gratefully received!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now