Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Confusion over swelling/oedema - just need reassurance...

(6 Posts)
PurpleLostPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 23:40:41

Hello all,

I feel like I'm fussing over nothing and I'm being a bit silly but I'm all confused and wanted to see if any of you have had the same experience as me!?

I had pre-eclampsia in the last few weeks with DD1 but nothing serious, they just kept an eye on me and I ended up having her naturally at 41+1. This time, the mw wants to keep an eye on my bp in the last few weeks of the pg. I'm currently 34+3 weeks...

I've had oedema (hands and feet) for the past few weeks at varying levels. On hot days of course it has been worse but I've just put my feet into a bowl of cold water to relieve it. It's usually worse at night time too. About a week ago, I managed to spend the day in bed (bliss!) and bloated up to the extent that I called the day assessment unit. The lady there told me that it was to be expected if I hadn't been moving my feet and hands because the fluid tends to collect and its nothing to worry about unless I get other symptoms.

Last Friday morning, I got disturbed vision (pretty glitter/flashing lights) and happened to be seeing the mw that afternoon. Mentioned it to her and showed her my ankles but my bp and urine were all fine. She said nothing more. Had more disturbed vision later that day.

Yesterday, my right foot swelled up more than it has ever before and it actually hurts! It has gotten worse overnight and even more so today to the point where it hurts to walk because my skin is so tight right up to my calf. I really look like some sort of elephant lady! I've tried to keep a balance of being active as well as elevating them but it hasn't made any difference. I have continued to drink plenty of water too.

I had a headache this morning but managed to shift it with some painkillers and a nap.

I'm not expecting any of you to wave a magic wand and fix all this but I'm just confused as to why this would be so bad if my bp and urine is fine!? Can't be doing with going to the day assessment unit only to find out the same again...! (mw only works Thurs/Fri and is on hols for 2 weeks now).

Does oedema really get this bad? If so, what helped you to relieve it?

Cheers in advance

PLP xxx

SlightlyMadSpider Tue 14-Aug-07 23:47:05

I had severe odema in teh last few weeks which got worse after teh birth and didn't go away until after stopping bf at 3m. The only thing that helped to relieve it (although I don't think it was that great) was ankle excercises - rotate 10 times 1 way and then the other then flex them 0 times.

From your post I am concerned that one foot is significantly worse that the other. Is that right?

If that is the case you should also be potentially concerned about DVT, which should be checked by GP if you are not happy with MWs assesment.

I thought there was a list of pre-eclampsia symptoms inc. odema, protenuria, high BP, headaches, blurred vision. I thought that if you ticked 2 or 3 of hte boxes then they would be concerned. You seem to tick 2 - headaches & odema.

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 23:58:21

Thanks slightlymadspider, what is DVT? It is definitely much worse on my right leg, this afternoon it included my right hand but that went down and is now going up again! My other 'limbs' are generally swollen but not to the extent that they hurt.

I am trying to wriggle my ankle while keeping it elevated so the fluid doesn't collect but it isn't working just yet...

So, should I get to the GP tomorrow or the day assessment unit!? Worried about this DVT now as I haven't heard of it before!

Like I say, I'm soooo confused!

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 15-Aug-07 00:09:18

Sorry DVT is deep vein thrombosis. It is basically a blood clot in one of the veins of teh leg - usually the calf. One of the main observations leading to futher investigations is that one foot/leg is significantly more swollen than the other. Pregnancy is a risk factor for DVT AFAIK.

Throughout my pregnancy my right foot was slightly more swollen than my left - so I think there was a bit of baby laying on one side more than the other. MW/GP weren't particularly worried as it wasn't a massive difference, but eventually my GP sent me for a scan to double check (this was at about 8-10wks postanatal).

I would see someone tomorrow - making them aware that there is a diffence between right an left. You day unit and GP should be able to deal with it equally so I would do what is more convenient for you. We don't have a day assessment untit here as far as I am aware and GP was happy to deal with any problems between MW visits.

SlightlyMadSpider Wed 15-Aug-07 00:10:52

I should say my scan was clear, my uneven swelling was just one of those things.

I would just get it checked if I was you - just to make sure it isn't anything sinister, as well as getting reassurance about teh pre-eclampsia.

PurpleLostPrincess Wed 15-Aug-07 00:13:18

OK, I'll make sure I see somebody, thank you for your quick advice SMS!

They won't need me to point anything out though, they'll just need to take one look at me LOL!

PLP xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now