Talk

Advanced search

anyone pregnant and on citalopram?

(8 Posts)
truffaut Tue 14-Aug-07 21:05:48

want to conceive but im on this antidepressant, should i go ahead and get pregnant?

time4tea Tue 14-Aug-07 21:33:02

I conceived and gave birth and breast-fed on 20mg a day - and have two adorable boys, 3 yrs and 6 months.

I spoke to my GP about this when I found out I was pregnant with DS1 and she said that of course, there have never been controlled tests of pregnancy and a drug like this (wd be unethical to run them), but that lots of women she cares for have had perfectly healthy babies.

Worth talking it over with your GP - or whoever is treating you with maybe getting a referral to discuss further with a hospital doctor/psychiatrist?

good luck, with babies and with keeping depression under control

Nemo2007 Tue 14-Aug-07 21:34:18

as far as i can remember citalapram was an ok AD but as time4tea says go and speak to your gp as if it isnt they can change you onto prozac which is safe in pregnancy

insywinsyspider Wed 15-Aug-07 10:36:10

i was on lofepraime when i concieved (for PND) and gp advised i came off it a couple of weeks later after weaning myself off, to be honest it wasn't about the risk it was just a good reason to try without

time4tea is right only your gp can advise you, and don't feel bad about being on ad's and ttc I did for a while but remember its your decision but they can give you the best advice

hth

truffaut Wed 15-Aug-07 14:34:41

thank you!

puglover Wed 15-Aug-07 14:55:59

hi.I`m on citalopram 20mg daily and 22 weeks pregnant. This was a planned pregnancy and my psychiatrist and obstetrician advised me to remain on it during pregnancy. I was told that the risks are minimal to the baby and it is not known to cause any malformations. I also had my previous baby on antidepressants and he is a very healthy 3 year old. However each case is different and you should still get medical advice before conceiving. Good luck.

Nbg Wed 15-Aug-07 14:58:00

I am on 10mg of Citalopram and I am 25 weeks with my 3rd baby.

I have been told to carry on with it and I've done a fair bit of looking on the net and its not been found to cause any problems in pregnancy.

truffaut Sun 19-Aug-07 19:40:57

oh thank you for this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now