Talk

Advanced search

Losing my appetite (shock, horror!!)

(24 Posts)
RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 12:06:02

Hi everyone

I'm 25 weeks today and over the last few days have noticed that i simply cannot eat as much as i used to be able to! This has got to be a good thing in my case. I find it easier to graze than to have a meal of "standard" size.

I'm also finding that i'm starting to feel nauseaus [sp?] again lately too, particularly if i haven't eaten for a while.

I'm assuming it's the baby getting in the way etc.

Other than those in their first trimester, is anyone else going through this?

Egg Tue 14-Aug-07 12:07:47

Hi RG. I had this last pg and especially later on. I did feel hungry but got full very easily and felt very unwell if I overate. If I had a full meal and then PUDDING I would be awake half the night with stomachache (so I just ate pudding ).

Peachy Tue 14-Aug-07 12:09:07

Its fairly normal RG iirc, and yes its because baby is taking up lots of space.

The nausea i think is often related to blood sugar levels (lucozade useful)

winestein Tue 14-Aug-07 12:09:15

IT's over 2 and a half years since I was in my third trimester, but this is exactly how I felt... right up until the 42nd week.

I could not eat a normal sized meal at all, and found grazing to be the only way.

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 12:11:52

lol Egg. I remember feeling the same with DS but only during the very later stages of the pg. When my waters broke and the MW came round, she forced me to eat something as my blood sugar was too low!

I do get hungry too, but knowing that i get full up after a few mouthfuls is putting me off having something scrummy lol.

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 12:12:19

Yes it started around that time for me too and I'm 34 weeks now. I'm usually a very big eater but I can't fit half as much in as I used to. I'm also very fussy about what I eat as most things give me very bad heartburn. I've been feeling nauseaus too but find that eating little and often helps. Everything is all squished up to make room for the baby so I guess it makes sense...

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 12:13:27

If i play it right, i could even lose a few pounds then!!

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 12:35:08

LOL! I had hyperemesis at the beginning of this pg and haven't put on half as much as I did with DS and DD1! I'd love to 'eat for two' but it just hasn't happened this time!

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 12:35:51

PLP, it can only be a good thing!

PurpleLostPrincess Tue 14-Aug-07 12:39:20

True - less to lose afterwards!

JARM Tue 14-Aug-07 12:39:32

im not eating full meals either!

graze all day, a full meal makes me want to throw up!

Feel sick first thing in the morning until i have my rice crispies!

Jbck Tue 14-Aug-07 13:28:50

I'm lucky if I can eat a proper meal just now, but I'll manage the other half later on. Grazing is the way to go, I don't remember it being this early with DD (I'm 27+) but it was nearly 6 years ago so you forget.
If you're sticking with your healthy eating too you'll be Kate Moss a couple of weeks after the birth, well maybe not 'cos I wouldn't want to look like her either

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 14:03:49

"healthy eating" Oh yes, i remember this......

I'm trying to be good, but it's sooooo bloody hard!!!

Should be easier now that i'm constantly feeling full up and stuffed. I'm making up a salad tonight for lunches at work so i'll be ok with that. I just gotta lay off the chocolate and crisps!!

Scampynoodle Tue 14-Aug-07 14:12:33

I'm now in my second trimester and recently went through a new wave of sickness. My midwife told me that it is a good sign. It shows that the hormones are working well through the placenta and that it bodes well for the baby, by all accounts. It was a luttle bit of compensation for feeling as if I'd taken two steps back.

Sx

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 15:06:37

That's a relief at least, scamps!

LadyVictoriaOfCake Tue 14-Aug-07 15:21:35

feel sorry for you RG, i hated being pregnant. i never got that 'bloom' people talk about as spent the whole 9months puking and ending up weighing less than before i got pregnant every time.

with dd3 i really went off meat. and couldnt eat rice either. was living on small amounts of chicken and salad. but did get cravings for bags of chips with laods of salt and vinegar on.

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 15:25:16

Oh PLEASE dont talk to me about chips!!!!! I absolutely LOVE them, especially from our chippy. I've been trying to be sooo good and haven't had any since about Friday (i think!).

Jbck Tue 14-Aug-07 15:26:07

RG I had chip shop chips for lunch part of the problem of being off work on holiday & too lazy to cook/make anything healthy.
I weighed myself on someone elses scales at the weekend & nearly dropped down dead, I appeared to have put on almost a stone in about 3 weeks despite eating less, turned out they weigh in about 12 pounds too heavy phew! I just ate some more to make up for it.

RGPargy Tue 14-Aug-07 15:27:44

lol Jbck - a lucky escape for you!!

I'm too embarrassed to go to my chippy atm. I've been there far too often and we've only been moved into our new house (and new chippy!) for just over a month!

Jbck Tue 14-Aug-07 18:58:44

Oh I don't go, I always send DH I'd hate to get a rep as the pregnant bird who frequents all the junk food shops!
We have a bit in our town centre which is basically about 5 fast food places in a row you could do a different one every night then the Beefeater on Sundays to kid on you were a little healthy.
I don't do burger places tbh but I almost went to McDs the other day and I was going to get those mozarella things with chips then realised how ridiculous I was being.
We moved back to our home town in November & I'm quite proud that we only went to Dominos earlier this month for the first time since moving, shame the same can't be said for KFC!

dal21 Tue 14-Aug-07 19:16:18

RGP - lack of appetite will only get worse as pregnancy progresses. I cannot wait to eat a nice big meal!
Re. the nausea - you get a second wave of hormones around now, so expect to feel a little not right again!
I DREAM of chips from the local chippy but darent go there! Indigestion galore!

beansprout Wed 15-Aug-07 09:31:43

I am 16w and have no appetite at all, which is most unlike me!

theressomethingaboutmarie Wed 15-Aug-07 11:02:36

I had a vastly reduced appetite between 24 and 30 weeks (and I really love my tucker!). I'm now 32 weeks and have had proper meals for the past two weeks. I was eating cheese, crackers and fruit/salad for lunch and dinner most days, or perhaps Shreddies and milk. Now I really enjoy tucking into a small but nutritious meal and find myself needing those Shreddies at about 9:30pm too. I weighed myself the other day (I had a BMI of 26 prior to getting pregnant) and was delighted that I'd put on only 19lbs (okay, it seemed "only" to me anyway!).

RGPargy Wed 15-Aug-07 11:32:01

dal - what do you think Gaviscon was invented for? I'd have a chip in one hand and my Gavi in the other. Sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now