Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

short legs and now arms in prengancy

(13 Posts)
number2 Mon 13-Aug-07 15:09:19

Am 27 weeks pregnant and have just been for a growth scan as the legs have been short throughout. Our last scan in July showed his legs were about a week behind but today's scan results state that the arm bones are also small and it could be a sign of dwarfism. The consultant has ordered another scan on monday and says the scanner may have made a mistake however i am now a nervous wreck and can't understand why the arms were normal before. has anyone else had a similar experience and can out my nerves at rest?

MrsMcJnr Mon 13-Aug-07 15:51:53

Number2 - can't help but it must be a scary time for you just bumping this up for you. All the very best x

saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 13-Aug-07 16:07:25

Number2 - I can't help either but there is a mum here (Emkana) whose ds has a form of skeletal dysplasia. I know she had a very stressful pregnancy. Hopefully she'll see this.

Hope that you are reasured by your next scan.

berolina Mon 13-Aug-07 16:08:53

Was just about to post that you need emkana (great minds saggars ) Her ds is 1yo now and quite unreasonably gorgeous.

lemonaid Mon 13-Aug-07 16:09:17

emkana's DS has some form of rare skeletal dysplasia (as yet undiagnosed) and she knows a lot about the subject. She may see this post if we keep it bumped (apologies to anyone else with a DC with skeletal dysplasia who I've temporarily forgotten). Her DS is utterly, utterly gorgeous, by the way.

lemonaid Mon 13-Aug-07 16:10:20

great minds do indeed think alike, on the need for emkana and on the gorgeousness of her DS

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 14-Aug-07 09:06:08

Bumping for Emkana

Littlefish Tue 14-Aug-07 09:30:38

Hi number2. This happened to friends of mine. They were given the option to have an amnio or a termination . Luckily, they were booked in to have a scan done privately (the previous scan had been NHS) and opted to see the results from that first.

The results were normal. It turned out that the scanner had put the wrong numbers into the calculations. Their little boy was born 2 years ago. He was on the 9th centile, but as both his parents are quite small, that's completely normal.

I hope you get some good news soon.

Littlefish Tue 14-Aug-07 09:32:04

Just looked at the picture of Emkana'ds. He is delicious, isn't he . He's going to get away with murder with eyes like those.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Tue 14-Aug-07 09:37:20

emkana's ds is scrumptcious!!!!! you could just eat him up!!!

number2, try not to worry too much, wait for the next scan then take the next step, they can and do make mistakes so just try not to work yourself up too much, poor little buba doesnt need all those extra hormones!! am thinking of you!

number2 Tue 14-Aug-07 09:40:41

Thanks - it's reassuring to know that it happens to other people. We have had one roller coaster ride. My triple test came back high and we were told that the baby had a bright bowel and short legs which are markers for downs syndrome. Following the amniocentises which came back clear we were told he may have cystic fibrosis which has also come back negative and now this. Fourteen weeks to go and i know its going to be the longest weeks of my life.

lemonaid Tue 14-Aug-07 13:02:22

They thought emkana's DS had Down's, based on the anomaly scan, I seem to remember. Then the amnio came back clear and they ran through a whole bunch of other possible things he might have but diddn't. I do hope she sees this as it sounds as though your situations have a lot in common.

emkana Wed 15-Aug-07 18:04:00

Hi there
just got back off holiday and am still unpacking, but wanted to post as soon as I saw this.

I know this must be very scary for you, it was for me and in a way it still is, but as others have kindly said ds is wonderful and things have turned out very well indeed. I don't know what to say and what not to say because I want to reassure you, not frighten you. One thought I had was that legs that are one week behind aren't actually that short, ds's were several weeks behind, and now they don't look that short as you can see on the picture! If they do think your baby has dwarfism the trouble is that there are 200 types and it's very difficult to find out which one it is exactly while baby is still in the womb. By far the most common is achondroplasia, and they can take your amnio sample and test for that.

I wish you all the best, ask me whatever you like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now