Talk

Advanced search

Immuno-compromised - consultant led?

(7 Posts)
walnut87 Thu 12-Sep-19 03:29:40

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else has a medical condition that impairs their immune system, and if so, were you under consultant led care or midwife led? I’m now 21 weeks along.

At the moment I think I’m under midwife led care (had booking in appointment with consultant ten weeks ago, tbh she was a bit blasé, heard nothing since and sonographer last week said I was midwife led...) I have heard midwife led units can be very short staffed on the post natal wards and I’m worried that I may not be monitored correctly for developing infections, especially if I tear or end up having a c-section. Have heard a few horror stories about people being left alone for hours on end on the post-natal wards unable to contact any nurses.

Just wanted to know other peoples experiences/advice before I see my midwife again in a fortnight.

Thanks x

Gebbstick Thu 12-Sep-19 05:33:54

I'm consultant led but due to multiple factors...age, hemochromatosis and a connective tissue disease. I've only had my booking in appointment with the midwife as I'm only 9 weeks so I'm still unsure what to expect and this is my first. P.s. I have a query over Lupus but my diagnosis is currently recorded as undefined connective tissue. Hope you are currently well.

Sheep90 Thu 12-Sep-19 07:22:11

My husband has a compromised immune system and doctors and nurses are all over him all the time! They even wanted to know all about it at my booking in appointment. I imagine they'll want to be more careful with you particularly when discussing things like vaccinations and where to give birth.

physicskate Thu 12-Sep-19 09:16:12

Midwife led doesn't mean you have to give birth in a midwife led unit. They are an option for birth. I was 'midwife led' but gave birth in hospital. There was even a consultant at my birth as we ended up with forceps, an episiotomy and there were concerns about how my daughter was handling my three and a half day labour.

Post natal is post natal. There will be a mix of women with a range of birth experiences and needs. These needs will be met, by doctors and/or midwives. I had a junior doctor come and see me the next day to discuss blood loss and a possible transfusion...

MumApr18 Thu 12-Sep-19 09:21:45

I'm mildly immunocompromised and am consultant led. I think it's mainly due to the disease I have rather than the immune side of it though.
I would just go with it - I know it knocks out the option of a water birth etc but really, if you need to be consultant led then the health of you and your baby is a lot more important than the circumstances of the birth.

aliensprig Thu 12-Sep-19 10:06:47

I'm supposedly consultant led but I haven't seen them yet and I'm 24+2.

walnut87 Thu 12-Sep-19 16:56:32

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I think I’m just confused because I thought it would be a significant consideration but so far no one seems to have mentioned it and it all seems so wishy washy! I’ll have a chat with my midwife. I hadn’t realised that it would rule out a water birth sad

I just need to know I’ll be monitored properly on postnatal I guess - had bad experience after my last operation with developing a serious infection because post-op plans weren’t followed and monitoring wasn’t followed through with. Sigh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »