Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hiccups!!!

(14 Posts)
Trinaj Thu 09-Aug-07 13:55:24

I know it's really common for babies but mines had them EVERY day since I felt it move - sometimes 2 or 3 times a day! - It really gets on my nerves .
Anyone know what causes them and if they can be stopped?

RGPargy Thu 09-Aug-07 14:10:53

Hiccups are caused by your baby swallowing amniotic fluid in your womb. They cannot be stopped!

MrsMar Thu 09-Aug-07 14:17:26

I also heard that they're caused by the baby taking practise breaths (probably causing the amniotic fluid swallowing) and the baby's diaphragm isn't fully functioning yet so they get hiccups. Irritating but such a necessary thing for them to practice.. Mine has them at least twice a day... I just hope that means he's got a great set of lungs in him!

RGPargy Thu 09-Aug-07 14:19:50

Yeah, that's what i meant to say Mrs Mar!

MrsMar Thu 09-Aug-07 14:24:37

call me mad, but I quite like them. I like the idea of my little boy practising his breathing!

GermanGal Thu 09-Aug-07 14:32:03

Stupid question, but what do hiccups actually feel like?? I can feel my baby move very regularly (I am 27 weeks), but I'm still not sure about the hiccups.... sometimes, I have a very regular twitch, which last for a while, but the twitches are much closer together than as if I have a hiccup, if that makes any sense?? I used to think that was it, but I'm not sure??

MrsMar Thu 09-Aug-07 14:35:37

I think they're probably hiccups... someone said to me it's like a clock ticking... rhythmic movements, more gentle than the average kick or punch.

GermanGal Thu 09-Aug-07 14:38:48

But that also means they are a lot faster than the hiccups we experience, right?? Clock ticking makes sense.... in that case, the little one has it quite frequently

MrsMar Thu 09-Aug-07 14:48:59

Yeah, I think they're a bit faster because everything with them is a bit faster, heart rate, breathing rate (when they eventually do it properly) and so on. Their metabolic rate is higher than adults (I think, I'm sure a medical person will correct me!)

Actually, I'm getting a few hiccups now!!! I usually get them after a bout of activity, and he's just has his post lunch bounce about !

GermanGal Thu 09-Aug-07 14:50:07

Yes, that's it! I always get them after his kickboxing session

MrsMar Thu 09-Aug-07 14:54:34

I guess they decide "oooh while I'm awake I'll practice that breathing thing I discovered the other day!"

GermanGal Thu 09-Aug-07 14:57:55

I always thought he got overexcited during his workouts and therefore got hiccups - but from now on I will see it as a good thing!!

MrsMar Thu 09-Aug-07 15:02:41

Oh definitely is!

Trinaj Thu 09-Aug-07 19:48:28

Thanks everyone - it's factinating to know that it's a good thing.
Mine always feels like a muscle twitching.
I find it quite comforting if it hasn't moved for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now