Talk

Advanced search

Full proof solution to constipation

(47 Posts)
devilishlygood Wed 11-Sep-19 20:59:51

Honestly, I’ve tried prunes, prune juice, kale with virtually every meal, drink about 4l of water a day....I just have to have a good clear out, it’s making me so sad. And grumpy.
Do I just have to accept that my daily routine is changed now to once a week?! I’m 33w. I also have terrible heartburn but gaviscon and otc remedies are binging me up, and the constipation is making the heartburn worse....it’s a horrid cycle...

Please PLEASE does anyone have a tried and tested old wives tale or something that will just get me going?????

wineymummy Fri 13-Sep-19 16:32:22

Linseed worked for me, I had a spoonful on my breakfast cereal every morning and it kept the constipation at bay. Maybe a good one to try as a preventive going forwards

devilishlygood Fri 13-Sep-19 15:46:44

@NanooCov... I’m doing the weekly shop tonight, I’ll pick up a bag! 😂

NanooCov Fri 13-Sep-19 09:10:18

Good news. Dried apricots always work for me. Maybe a "maintenance" dose of 4/5 a day?

devilishlygood Fri 13-Sep-19 08:53:24

Just as a conclusion, I can confirm that I didn’t even get as far as Movicol or Fybogel...
One 1.5l carton of prune juice over 5days, the kale with lunch and dinner, and a dog walk up a steep hill seem to have moved things along quite nicely!

Ive always kept water intake up and use a short stool in the bathroom anyway, but these are all still a good collection of measures. Thanks for your help.

No heartburn!! Woohoo!!

melissa1215 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:52:27

Weetabix works for me

endofthelinefinally Wed 11-Sep-19 22:48:26

Movicol is easy to buy over the counter. Get a friend or relative to buy it for you though because pharmacists are loathe to sell anything to pregnant women.

mumwon Wed 11-Sep-19 22:38:46

dried apricots about 4 or 5 & 2 glasses of orange juice, & dh chickpea curry grin

Potatopia Wed 11-Sep-19 22:34:45

Sit on a birthing/gym ball in addition to all these diet changes - wiggling everything around a bit might encourage some movement.

Nutellalovesme Wed 11-Sep-19 22:34:31

@devilishlygood you can take these whilst pregnant. You can find these in wholefoods, pharmacys and some supermarkets.

pastabest Wed 11-Sep-19 22:28:24

Small spoon of castor oil helps

The OP is pregnant. This is the pregnancy board. Castor Oil probably isn't a good idea unless she's wanting to try evicting more than the constipation!

TakeABreakAt12 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:21:36

Small spoon of castor oil helps!

Penguin34 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:06:37

A bag of sugar free cola bottles.

God speed

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:44:02

Weetabix and LOTS of water have been to my go to.

I had terrible piles that were keeping my awake from the pain.

Started eating weetabix and drinking as much water as I possibly could throughout the day and in a couple of days I was going regularly and without pain. They are an absolute God send!

harper30 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:43:40

Kiss.
I'm illiterate past 9pm apparently, apologies

Stravapalava Wed 11-Sep-19 21:43:31

I always find a couple of kiwis get me going the next day.

AwdBovril Wed 11-Sep-19 21:43:21

Linseeds work for me. Either add a couple of teaspoons to porridge, or sprinkle over a salad, etc, etc. Make sure you drink a big glass of water afterwards, & continue drinking planty of liquids throughout the day, or they'll have the opposite effect. They're also ok in smoothies too, although somewhat gritty.

harper30 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:42:42

Damn, don't know where the kids came from 😂 feeling sympathy for you though!

harper30 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:57

My mum was talking to me about a bunch of tactics for constipation the other day, apparently she didn't realise she'd been constipated pretty much her whole life she thought that was just normal??
Anyway I can't remember the source of these but might be worth googling and/or checking with your gp about.
She said there was one recipe for warm/hot water with lemon juice in it which she drank before bed and next morning had a big impact.
She also said taking a magnesium tablet had almost instant effect, like 30 mins later. Though I have no idea if taking a magnesium tablet is appropriate when pregnant, so check before doing anything like that.
Lots of chia and flaxseeds are what I gave my DD when she was constipated when weaning. Porrige with lots of those flaxseeds in particular mixed in is a good way to get some in your system as you don't notice them mixed in x

Justtryingtobehelpful Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:34

Beans, lentils and pulses.
Three tablespoons over your the meals a day.
Lots of water.
Obviously continue with fruit and veg.
Go to a yoga class.
Sorted.
Trust me, pregnant and life long sufferer!
Get chana (chickpea) curry and tarka dal at the local Indian takeaway for dinner. You'll be fine the next day 😁

Queenofpi Wed 11-Sep-19 21:38:13

I had exactly the same problem, lactulose worked brilliantly for me. If you're already that bunged up, I would suggest starting on the maximum dose - that's what my pharmacy told me.

Amara123 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:33:55

Here to second a footstool and movicol. The footstool prevents straining and probably piles, was told by Pilates teacher to get one. This is a must buy.
Movicol is brilliant though prescription only. Bring some to hospital with you for the post partum bowel motion which is carnage!

pastabest Wed 11-Sep-19 21:30:03

X post!

pastabest Wed 11-Sep-19 21:29:28

I suspect the OP is pregnant IceCream given this is the pregnancy section and constipation is quite common in pregnancy for many reasons including the iron in pregnancy multivitamins and prescribed for low iron.

Another recommendation for fybogel (I used to mix it with orange juice to disguise it) , and a good strong coffee.

mumao Wed 11-Sep-19 21:29:07

Coconut water! I drank a litre a day when I was pregnant!

IceCreamBrain Wed 11-Sep-19 21:26:26

Sorry, I thought I was on another board. Didn't realise it was pregnancy related - ignore my post

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »