Talk

Advanced search

Full proof solution to constipation

(47 Posts)
devilishlygood Wed 11-Sep-19 20:59:51

Honestly, I’ve tried prunes, prune juice, kale with virtually every meal, drink about 4l of water a day....I just have to have a good clear out, it’s making me so sad. And grumpy.
Do I just have to accept that my daily routine is changed now to once a week?! I’m 33w. I also have terrible heartburn but gaviscon and otc remedies are binging me up, and the constipation is making the heartburn worse....it’s a horrid cycle...

Please PLEASE does anyone have a tried and tested old wives tale or something that will just get me going?????

pastabest Wed 11-Sep-19 21:30:03

X post!

Amara123 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:33:55

Here to second a footstool and movicol. The footstool prevents straining and probably piles, was told by Pilates teacher to get one. This is a must buy.
Movicol is brilliant though prescription only. Bring some to hospital with you for the post partum bowel motion which is carnage!

Queenofpi Wed 11-Sep-19 21:38:13

I had exactly the same problem, lactulose worked brilliantly for me. If you're already that bunged up, I would suggest starting on the maximum dose - that's what my pharmacy told me.

Justtryingtobehelpful Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:34

Beans, lentils and pulses.
Three tablespoons over your the meals a day.
Lots of water.
Obviously continue with fruit and veg.
Go to a yoga class.
Sorted.
Trust me, pregnant and life long sufferer!
Get chana (chickpea) curry and tarka dal at the local Indian takeaway for dinner. You'll be fine the next day 😁

harper30 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:57

My mum was talking to me about a bunch of tactics for constipation the other day, apparently she didn't realise she'd been constipated pretty much her whole life she thought that was just normal??
Anyway I can't remember the source of these but might be worth googling and/or checking with your gp about.
She said there was one recipe for warm/hot water with lemon juice in it which she drank before bed and next morning had a big impact.
She also said taking a magnesium tablet had almost instant effect, like 30 mins later. Though I have no idea if taking a magnesium tablet is appropriate when pregnant, so check before doing anything like that.
Lots of chia and flaxseeds are what I gave my DD when she was constipated when weaning. Porrige with lots of those flaxseeds in particular mixed in is a good way to get some in your system as you don't notice them mixed in x

harper30 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:42:42

Damn, don't know where the kids came from 😂 feeling sympathy for you though!

AwdBovril Wed 11-Sep-19 21:43:21

Linseeds work for me. Either add a couple of teaspoons to porridge, or sprinkle over a salad, etc, etc. Make sure you drink a big glass of water afterwards, & continue drinking planty of liquids throughout the day, or they'll have the opposite effect. They're also ok in smoothies too, although somewhat gritty.

Stravapalava Wed 11-Sep-19 21:43:31

I always find a couple of kiwis get me going the next day.

harper30 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:43:40

Kiss.
I'm illiterate past 9pm apparently, apologies

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:44:02

Weetabix and LOTS of water have been to my go to.

I had terrible piles that were keeping my awake from the pain.

Started eating weetabix and drinking as much water as I possibly could throughout the day and in a couple of days I was going regularly and without pain. They are an absolute God send!

Penguin34 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:06:37

A bag of sugar free cola bottles.

God speed

TakeABreakAt12 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:21:36

Small spoon of castor oil helps!

pastabest Wed 11-Sep-19 22:28:24

Small spoon of castor oil helps

The OP is pregnant. This is the pregnancy board. Castor Oil probably isn't a good idea unless she's wanting to try evicting more than the constipation!

Nutellalovesme Wed 11-Sep-19 22:34:31

@devilishlygood you can take these whilst pregnant. You can find these in wholefoods, pharmacys and some supermarkets.

Potatopia Wed 11-Sep-19 22:34:45

Sit on a birthing/gym ball in addition to all these diet changes - wiggling everything around a bit might encourage some movement.

mumwon Wed 11-Sep-19 22:38:46

dried apricots about 4 or 5 & 2 glasses of orange juice, & dh chickpea curry grin

endofthelinefinally Wed 11-Sep-19 22:48:26

Movicol is easy to buy over the counter. Get a friend or relative to buy it for you though because pharmacists are loathe to sell anything to pregnant women.

melissa1215 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:52:27

Weetabix works for me

devilishlygood Fri 13-Sep-19 08:53:24

Just as a conclusion, I can confirm that I didn’t even get as far as Movicol or Fybogel...
One 1.5l carton of prune juice over 5days, the kale with lunch and dinner, and a dog walk up a steep hill seem to have moved things along quite nicely!

Ive always kept water intake up and use a short stool in the bathroom anyway, but these are all still a good collection of measures. Thanks for your help.

No heartburn!! Woohoo!!

NanooCov Fri 13-Sep-19 09:10:18

Good news. Dried apricots always work for me. Maybe a "maintenance" dose of 4/5 a day?

devilishlygood Fri 13-Sep-19 15:46:44

@NanooCov... I’m doing the weekly shop tonight, I’ll pick up a bag! 😂

wineymummy Fri 13-Sep-19 16:32:22

Linseed worked for me, I had a spoonful on my breakfast cereal every morning and it kept the constipation at bay. Maybe a good one to try as a preventive going forwards

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »