Talk

Advanced search

Antenatal Classes - Is the last one worthwhile?

(6 Posts)
frsttimemama Wed 11-Sep-19 13:21:11

Helloo,

I'm 37 weeks and I've attended 2/3 antenatal classes so far (NHS) and the 4th one is this Thursday but, I'm wondering if anyone can advise what they will actually cover in that one. Obviously, I appreciate that the content of the classes may vary based on location.

The first one was 1.5 hours long and was totally pointless and boring IMO and DP's opinion, also. They showed a DVD which was date stamped 1999 regarding how the baby recognised the fathers and mothers voice and then they discussed what to do if your baby cries etc. It was all common sense to us but, I accept may have been helpful to some people if they were unfamiliar with babies. It didn't help that the room was 200 degrees, either as, I felt like I was going to keel over and so, couldn't wait to leave.

The second class, I was keen to attend but, wasn't very well so missed it, unfortunately. That was the breastfeeding one.

The third class covered labour and birth and both myself and DP found it really interesting and helpful. Although, again the room was red hot and this time we were in there for 2 hours that time.

I can't recall what they said the fourth class would cover and DP is working late so, I would need to go on my own for a start and if I am going to drive myself there at 37 weeks pregnant and sit in a hot room feeling unwell for another 1.5 - 2 hours, after a 9 hour day at work then, I want to make sure that it is going to be worthwhile!

Can anyone help?

Sorry if I sound like a moany git!

frsttimemama Wed 11-Sep-19 22:06:02

Bump

Squiff70 Wed 11-Sep-19 22:13:32

The 4th one might be to do with baby first aid and/or healing from the birth, so yes, definitely attend if you can.

frsttimemama Thu 12-Sep-19 10:23:39

Thank you for your reply @Squiff70!

EscapeTheOrdinary Thu 12-Sep-19 10:53:11

Where I live they did a one day session so different to what you have been offered but the things they covered that you haven’t yet mentioned are bathing the baby and changing nappies, what to expect at follow up appointments when your home so it may be the postpartum part. I found it pretty useful but my whole session was 5 hours so was a long slog to get through! On the breastfeeding note it may be worth seeing if separate classes are run as they have introduced them into my area and although they did show an old dvd there was some really useful information provided

frsttimemama Thu 12-Sep-19 11:28:08

Thank you EscapeThe Ordinary, I don't think I could have coped with a 5 hours session! Appreciate your reply as, that has helped a lot!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »