Talk

Advanced search

18 weeks pregnant and so tearful and emotional what is wrong with me??

(5 Posts)
EmotionalEllie Wed 11-Sep-19 11:52:58

I'm 18 weeks pregnant and feel like I'm losing my mind.

At the weekend I was so irritable and miserable with DH. Monday had a terrible day at work and cried all the way home. Then yesterday my 3.5 year old started nursery, had a great day then had a bad fall on the way home and knocked a tooth out. I haven't stopped crying since, questioning everything, feeling like maybe she shouldn't be at nursery after all (even though the fall didn't even happen at nursery). This morning I think I had a panic attack after ai dropped her off (not sure as have never had one before but was being sick, shaking and couldn't breathe).

I don't know what is wrong with me. Someone I know just had terrible news about their pregnancy and I feel so guilty for being so upset about something relatively minor and am trying to get some perspective but it's not working.

Had a midwife appointment this morning and burst into tears so she gave me The Talk about antenatal depression.

Am I depressed or is this just normal pregnancy hormones? I think I remember being emotional last pregnancy but much later than 18 weeks. I just feel like a totally different person, I'm usually really strong and rational and at the moment I'm a total mess.

Kate3150 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:04:34

@EmotionalEllie- It’s so difficult to distinguish between pregnancy hormones and yourself if that makes sense?
I’m quite a worrier anyway so knew pregnancy would be tough but I do feel the pregnancy hormones are playing a big role in how I’m feeling. I’m a lot more tearful and feel I cry at things a lot easier than I normally would.
It’s a first time pregnancy for myself so everything is daunting, worrying and emotional. Do you find you’re putting any pressure on yourself to feel a certain way as that can make things worse? What I mean is do you feel you “should” be happy etc? As that alone can cause low mood as you’re fighting how you actually feel. X

EmotionalEllie Wed 11-Sep-19 12:43:05

@kate3150 sorry you're having a tough time too. Definitely struggling with thinking I "should" be feeling a certain way. It's been really tough. How many weeks are you?

Kate3150 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:48:38

@EmotionalEllie- Bless you, yeah the “shoulds” really won’t help things. I have accepted that pregnancy just isn’t a happy, blissful time for everyone. It’s exhausting making yourself try to feel that way.
I’m nearly 27 weeks now... like I say it’s been a tough journey. I think I’ll only relax and take a big deep breath when he’s in my arms.... sorry I can’t offer much in the way of advice but you’re definitely not alone... it’s soooooooooo common to have these thoughts ands feelings. X

EmotionalEllie Wed 11-Sep-19 18:53:51

Well I literally cried all day then went to pick up my DD and she had had a great day confused

I think pregnancy is kind of amplifying my emotions? So I probably would have felt a bit upset this week anyway but it makes it 100 times worse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »