Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for reusable nappy brands?

(19 Posts)
MummyBear405 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:25:42

Hello ladies,

I'm doing some research on reusable nappy brands as I want to buy some trial kits before baby arrives. I've seen Little Lamb nappies and TotsBots which both look quite good but wondered if anyone had some experience?

TIA xx

aliensprig Wed 11-Sep-19 09:07:05

Have you googled the Nappy Lady? There's a questionnaire you can fill out and they'll tell you what brands to consider depending on your lifestyle. Worth a look if you haven't already!

www.thenappylady.co.uk/

LooksBetterWithAFilter Wed 11-Sep-19 09:12:03

Wine thing I would suggest is don’t but too many of one brand. Dd and ds2 were similar shapes (portly) ds1 was longer and leaner and the same brands didn’t fit him quite as well it was trial and error.
I tried lots of brands is there a nappy library in your area? I got a loan bucket of full of them to find what worked for me.
I have to say though my favourite overall was always a good old terry square and a fancy wrap over the top. They were absorbent, dried quickly and could fold different ways depending on boy/girl for the direction pee goes in and stuff.

Ariela Wed 11-Sep-19 09:42:40

Agree with @LooksBetterWithAFilter - decent wrap, we liked Nature Babies very very reliable, terry squares and Nappi Nippas. Cheap, excellent on containment and with winter coming so very quick to dry

PinkDaffodil2 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:45:50

We’re doing very well with LL 2 parters - the wraps are a good fit and we very rarely get leaks. I’d certainly suggest trying them out as if they fit your little one well they’re much cheaper than some brands. Just getting some of their pocket nappies too for when out and about.

TimeIhadaNameChange Wed 11-Sep-19 09:52:36

@PinkDaffodil2 - is that Little Lambs? I've been considering them.

I was going to hire newborn ones, on the basis I won't use them for long, but DP was keen we just buy. So I got some reduced wraps from somewhere (can't remember which website now) and I'm just going to use muslins. Haven't decided what I'll do for the bigger size though, so am following this with interest.

Nonmerci Wed 11-Sep-19 10:00:22

With newborns a ‘two part’ system is better until they are around two months old and start to gain some chunk.

Little lamb, Bambino Mio and tots bots all offer two part systems. It’s basically a terry type nappy underneath then a wrap on top. As they get older and chunkier, all in one nappies are easier.

I also recommend the nappy lady. My personal favourite brands are Bambino Mio and Bumgenius.

PinkDaffodil2 Wed 11-Sep-19 11:10:25

Yup little lambs - we were about to use them from about 10 days but had a fairly chunky baby smile used disposables to start with.

Allotmentgarden Wed 11-Sep-19 11:32:33

We liked having a few pocket nappies for days when you just need something quick- we liked the cheaper little lambs. But bulk of our stash is prefolds nappy nippas and a variety of wraps- so bomb proof, never leaked and easy to wash. Also worth looking into wool for night we loved the disana shorts with a prefold and hemp booster- could not rave about it more.

vivavivaviva Wed 11-Sep-19 13:03:07

Blueberry wraps were our favourite, pricy but pretty indestructible and so great around the legs. We'd bung this over a terry, a tots bots bamboozle or a little lambs size 1/2 most days.

Yes, we did have others but honestly the simpler stuff is better. Bonus points on a November rainy week for stuff you can put tumbler.

Good luck!

Em39ma Wed 11-Sep-19 14:12:32

I’ve got the tots bots. They do a trail pack and there very good.
I find some of the 2 part nannies rather bulky, but look at both.

LooksBetterWithAFilter Wed 11-Sep-19 19:59:41

I used Muslin squares in the very early days until the babies got some bulk on them. They are plenty absorbent for new born wee and so easy to wash and dry for all those constant poos in the early days.

violetswordfish Wed 11-Sep-19 20:47:07

Buy a few different types and see how you get on. I started off with a totsbots trial kit, a few little lambs (bamboo), flip wraps and prefolds. I've since added some more expensive all in ones and stuck with little lambs (for night time). Join the nappy lady Facebook group (there are 2,one for chat, one for buying nappies second hand - it's a good way to try things out cheaply) and you'll soon pick up a lot more info than you ever thought you needed about nappies!

OxeyeDaisy Wed 11-Sep-19 20:52:35

@MummyBear405 I have also used the nappy lady. I highly recommend completing the questionnaire. It’s great free advice and a list of all the parts you might need. They also include a discount code for use on future orders.

I have some from tots bots too - they are a Scottish company and big on recycled plastics.

TankGirl97 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:58:47

I’ve tried a few and really like bumgenius freetime. It’s very individual though so probably worth trying a few yourself once your baby arrives.
I highly recommended cheeky wipes too. Dd gets sore when I use disposable wipes, reusables have been a godsend.

dottyrobin Thu 12-Sep-19 12:26:46

I'm looking to start immediately with prefolds with mine (first baby due Jan) but I can't seem to find any wraps that are in stock?
I've looked at the ones listed on here - Nature Babies and Blueberry wraps as well as some motherease ones but every single website has size one/newborn size out of stock shock Does anyone have any tips on how to get them?

Also, did anyone use boosters with their prefolds? This might be a stupid question but where do I put it? Is it just placed ontop of the folded muslin or do you do a special fold?

Quail15 Thu 12-Sep-19 15:04:45

I use Bambino Mio with boosters with DD.

Do you have a nappy library near you? They are the best way to try a few different brands before buying any. I didn't get on with the two part nappies. Bambino Mio fit DD well but I know others have said they find they leak with their baby's.

As others have said don't buy loads of any type until you know they fit your baby properly.

Fowles94 Thu 12-Sep-19 23:29:39

I've got tots bots pocket nappies and bambino aio for my 14 month old. They last 3/4 hours with a bamboo booster. There is a good page on Facebook called Cloth Nappies UK.
I bought mine second hand on Facebook and accessories off fill your nappy.

gingernutinswitzerland Fri 13-Sep-19 10:11:32

We had close pop-ins and loved them. Hunting out a nearby nappy library is a good bet. Ours was v useful. We hired for a month when baby was 2 weeks and then bought based on that-trying different brands was really useful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »