Talk

Advanced search

Is a birthing ball different from an exercise ball?

(9 Posts)
MrsMcJnr Wed 08-Aug-07 14:43:53

Says it all really I have one of the latter and wondered if it would be any good as the former thanks.

mumto2nuttybells Wed 08-Aug-07 14:45:01

not really any difference really, it takes the presure of your hips and pelvis

moondog Wed 08-Aug-07 14:45:17

Just the same.

MrsMcJnr Wed 08-Aug-07 14:47:26

Great thanks maybe it'll get used more in it's new guise

geekInPigtails Thu 09-Aug-07 12:33:52

I wondered the same thing, and after a bit of digging I found somewhere (might have been a poster on mnet) that suggested the only difference was that some birthing balls have some kind of safety feature that means if the ball bursts then it goes down a bit slower rather than you landing with a thump on the floor! Tbh I thought that sounded a bit unlikely (especially if you check the recommended height and weight), so I've ordered a normal exercise ball - much cheaper!

Pixiefish Thu 09-Aug-07 12:47:03

I've heard that as well geek but have spoken to a few peeps who reckon that it would take an awful lot to make it burst anyway

BetsyBoop Thu 09-Aug-07 15:44:03

birthing balls are often bigger than exercise balls - these are the recommended sizes (found this here

If your height is up to 155cms (5' 2") we recommend a 55cm ball. Between 155 and 170 cms (5' 2" - 5' 8") you should use a 65cm ball and if you are taller than 170 cms the 75 cm ball is the most appropriate.

otherwise they are very similar

MrsMcJnr Fri 10-Aug-07 09:47:08

Thanks ladies got a Yoga for Pregnancy book and it looks like the ball might come in handy for that too

derah Fri 10-Aug-07 18:57:21

My exercise ball was wonderful during first stages of labour last time. I bounced on it all day until it was time to go to the hospital. When I got there I found that the balls they had there were too big (I'm only 5'3 and have a 55cm ball) and was GUTTED that I had to stop bouncing! This time I'm planning to have my baby at home and will bounce on my lovely vertically-challenged-people ball!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now