Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Dylan / Dillon and Yorkshire slang

(15 Posts)
Naetha Sat 04-Aug-07 19:46:23

Me and DH are having a bit of a disagreement over names...

I'm Welsh, and I'd love my LO to have Dylan as a middle name, but DH who is from Leeds says that Dylan / Dillon is Yorkshire slang for a [look away now if you're offended my mildly offensive words] wanker / dickhead.

Does anyone else have any knowledge of this? Is it Yorkshire-wide, or was it local to DH's school in Leeds? We live in Bradford now, so if it was Yorkshire-wide, then it wouldn't really be an option.

Thanks in advance!

PotatoOfDoom Sat 04-Aug-07 19:54:07

Surely if its his middle name it won't be an issue?

Ellbell Sat 04-Aug-07 19:55:12

Never heard of it (I live here, but am not from Yorkshire, though, so may be wrong). There is a Dylan in my dd2's class (age 5) and he had not had the piss taken out of him afaik (... not by my dd - she's in lurrve with him!)

Anyway, you're pretty safe if it's just a middle name. He doesn't even have to tell anyone what it is if he doesn't want to. Go for it... I like it.

Ellbell Sat 04-Aug-07 19:55:44

... as PotatoOfDoom said!

hatwoman Sat 04-Aug-07 19:58:41

I grew up in Sheffield and have never heard of it being used that way. I know a Dylan and I think it's a lovely name

pipsqueeke Sat 04-Aug-07 19:59:20

DH is from bradford and never heard of it.

pipsqueeke Sat 04-Aug-07 20:00:43

(if it is yorkshire wide then MIL is in for a shock as her yorkie is called that so she'd be jumped in the park lol.)

sweetboy Sat 04-Aug-07 20:02:55

I grew up near Bradford & have been known to say "You Dylan" (like saying "You dickhead" ) Was the same as "You Joey"

sweetboy Sat 04-Aug-07 20:04:15

BUT...that was 25 years ago & Dylan is a lovely name!

sAurorhal Sat 04-Aug-07 20:05:37

DH and I both Yorkshire born and bred (no whippets or flat caps but must admit to a fondness for mushy peas ) and neither of us have ever hear of it used in that way!

My poor cat if it really can have that meaning!!!

Donk Sat 04-Aug-07 20:35:43

I remember it being so used when I was a kid in Leeds, but haven't heard it recently. The language from teens is much cruder.....

cktwo Sat 04-Aug-07 20:49:13

Grew up in Halifax (West Yorks) and definately called people Dillons (Dylans) if they were a bit dim or stupid.

Psychobabble Sat 04-Aug-07 20:55:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Donk Sun 05-Aug-07 20:39:03

IIRC generally as in 'a right dylan!' or 'What a dylan!'

hippipotami Sun 05-Aug-07 20:42:07

My dog is called Dillon, but have not yet had anyone fall over laughing when calling his name in the woods!

Having said that, we do not live in Yorkshire.

It is my fave name (actually Dylan is my fave name, the dog only became Dillon as my then 5yo could not remember the other spelling)

It is a lovely name, it really really is!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now