Talk

Advanced search

Do Tesco or Asda do maternity clothes?

(32 Posts)
CristinaTheAstonishing Sat 04-Aug-07 16:23:34

I've tried their websites but can't seem to get anywhere (e.g. need to register first). I'm picking up DH & DS from a football match today and there'd be a big Asda or Tesco on the way, so I thought I could pop in and have a look for a few T-shirts etc, nothing fancy. Do either do a maternity range? Thanks.

Nbg Sat 04-Aug-07 16:25:22

George do at Asda but not Tesco.

They only tend to stock it in the bigger stores though.

Biglips Sat 04-Aug-07 16:25:45

Yes Asda does and i assume Tescos does too

CristinaTheAstonishing Sat 04-Aug-07 16:28:47

Oh, thanks for the quick replies. I think I'll try Asda then as I think it's quite a big store (in Kingston).

Naetha Sat 04-Aug-07 17:03:01

Apparently George have stopped doing their maternity range, that's what I was told the other day, however the womean's grasp of English wasn't great, so she probably thought I was asking her where I could find organic raisins.

beansprout Sat 04-Aug-07 17:06:52

@ Naetha

Nbg Sat 04-Aug-07 17:08:25

That cant be right surely!

I thought their maternity range was a big thing.
I'm actually suprised Tesco havent jumped on the wagon.

beansprout Sat 04-Aug-07 17:09:32

Naetha - you should know that I have reported your post.

Ceolas Sat 04-Aug-07 17:09:35

A big Asda near me used to stock maternity, but they stopped last year I believe. Don't know if they've stopped making it though.

Gemy Sat 04-Aug-07 17:14:50

I didn't see any maternity ranges in tescos as such, but they did have lots of smock tops and empire line dresses that could be worn for maternity - same with Asda.

Also, I picked up some nice cotton smock tops at Peacocks, wide elastic-rouched band around the bust, little cap sleaves and then loose (can easily accommodate my nearly 5month bump with lots of room to spare!) They have lots of different patterns and colours and I bought 4 (they range from £10 each to £14 each)

Don't know if this is your thing, or if you were more after bottoms? There is a Style topic on MN where you may like to have a browse to see if there's anything helpful there.

Ceolas Sat 04-Aug-07 17:19:35

I got a few of M&S basic t-shirts (now £3.50 ) in a bigger size and they're still doing me at 37 weeks.

Nbg Sat 04-Aug-07 17:20:43

They are good Ceolas.
Are they long enough?

Ceolas Sat 04-Aug-07 17:23:45

Yes, but don't put them in the tumble dryer. Even though it says you can, they shrink drastically length wise.

Nbg Sat 04-Aug-07 17:26:22

Oh right, good job you said that

I think I'll get a couple of them.

Caz10 Sat 04-Aug-07 17:35:57

I asked in Tescos a couple of weeks ago, they don't do it anymore

Naetha Sat 04-Aug-07 19:14:51

Apologies if my post offended anyone, it was not intended that way.

I get very frustrated by people having jobs where communication is very important when their grasp of the local language is basic. The conversation to find out if they had any maternity clothes took a good couple of minutes, and I still wasn't sure what the answer was at the end of it.

mamazon Sat 04-Aug-07 19:16:56

Asda in Kingston was tiny last timne i was there. it didn't even have clothes in teh store so doubt theyw ould have any maternity items.

although they may have epxanded since i was last there.

FioFio Sat 04-Aug-07 19:18:15

Message withdrawn

Emprexia Sat 04-Aug-07 23:10:36

Tesco don't, but if there is one near you, some Dorothy Perkins stores do.

Also, you could try Tesco's "True" range which caters for size 16+. The sizes run a bit small so the 16/18 vests would probably suit a pregnant woman.

CristinaTheAstonishing Mon 06-Aug-07 06:29:01

We went to a big Asda (in Roehampton) and I don't think they did maternity clothes. The clothes were in great disarray and I just didn't fancy going through them to see if they are what I needed. I tried asking someone but there was no-one to ask (unless I was prepared to queue for ages at the ciggies counter to ask there). Then my DH said he'd go and ask but he couldn't find anyone either. The whole experience was quite depressing, we did our quickest shopping ever!

I only wanted a few tops/T-shirts, so I'll go into Kingston today and see if I can find something.

BTW did you know Benettons do maternity clothes.

ChocolateHobnob Mon 06-Aug-07 09:21:31

Have you tried New Look, H and M or Dorothy Perkins? They all so maternity clothes at decent prices and often they seem to be on sale.

I'm short and need short length trousers but got great maternity jeans from Dorothy P (not a shop I go in usually!) - they're better than Next as my Next mat jeans keep falling down!!!

IdrisTheDragon Mon 06-Aug-07 09:26:12

Tesco used to, but then stopped.

When I was recently pregnant (2 years ago), Asda did.

I have noticed that Peacocks now do maternity clothes (and this is in a small store in our local town).

JARM Mon 06-Aug-07 09:33:27

Both the Asda's ive been in recently dont.

Tesco dont.

I like the smock type tops from asda though - fit lovely at 24weeks so will go and buy a few more in bigger sizes next week.

I prefer Next, but it is expensive.

Nbg Mon 06-Aug-07 09:36:14

I'm wondering if Asda have moved their maternity into just the George shops?

Theres a big George store near my dh's family and they had some in the other day.

claraq Mon 06-Aug-07 09:43:32

I refuse to shop at ASDA after watching the documentary about Walmart (ASDA is owned by Walmart) and the disgraceful way they treat their workers, and the conditions under which the labourers which produce the cheap goods we buy there are forced to work.
I know other shops are probably just as bad but apparently Next is quite good (or perhaps not as bad as others?). I realise it's more expensive than Asda but sometimes it's worth paying a bit more to ensure people are treated a bit better.
Will I get into trouble for writing this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now