Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

**Calling all midwives.... a TMI question for you re:thrush in late pg (40weeks)...**

(33 Posts)
growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 15:30:36

I'm due on monday... having had thrush on and off (as you do..... and wearing support tights for VV, I now have thrush AGAIN!

Pharmacy won't give me pessaries or tablets just cream.. don't really want to go into labour with thrush and risk a bad start for the LO.,

Pharmacist advised to ring out of hours GP - but don't really feel it merits this our GP's are overworked as it is...

Any ideas??

tiredemma Sat 04-Aug-07 15:32:03

have you spoke to your own midwife?

growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 15:34:39

Easier said than done really - they operate a shift system ovr the weekend - I can get one of the team.

Probelm is made worse by DH not being here. Even if I can get a 'script it means I have to go out again - which was bad enough first time round today!!

coleyboy Sat 04-Aug-07 15:34:59

The only thing that worked for me was putting lavender oil in the bath, and having a bath twice a day. I also put lavender oil on a pad.

growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 15:38:22

Thats interesting - I've been having lavendar baths to try and set off labour - but also putting tea tree oil in - I thought it was the tea tree helping things, maybe it was the lavendar?

I might take advantage of DH and DS being absent to have a nice cool bath then!

tiredemma Sat 04-Aug-07 15:41:06

I know I had thrush in my second pregnancy but it was at around 6 mths so I didnt have the concern about ds being born while I had it. Im sure I had a pessary.
I cant undrstand why you cant have a pessary?

what about diflucan?

growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 15:43:09

they won't give me anythig taht can be taken interneally - cream is all they will offer... all v well, but if it gets erm.. higher up thats where the babe will hit it first!!

tiredemma Sat 04-Aug-07 15:46:52

Thats really odd. In Mayes it says that 'candidiasis is treated primarliy with antifungal pessaries or cream inserted high into the vagina at night- preparations that may be given include clotrimazole pessaries, nystatin pessaries or gel, or oral fluconazole'
????

belgo Sat 04-Aug-07 15:50:48

I used the pessaries in late pregnancy (38 weeks) it got rid of the thrush, but then I got it again after giving birth, and I used the pessaries again.

What about bio yoghurt?

growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 15:58:51

it's the pharmacy that won't allow it - sorry... that wasn't clear - I'm trying to buy it over the counter in Boots -AS I don't have a prscription... they won't sell it to me because I'm pregnant...

tiredemma Sat 04-Aug-07 16:01:30

oh right!

sorry.

growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 16:02:30

no its ok - its my pregnant brain that wasn't clear - I know what I mena but I don't always say it!

belgo Sat 04-Aug-07 16:03:49

I remember now, I bought the pessaries from a pharmacy without a prescription, on the promise that I'd bring in the prescription the next day, but of course I didn't. This is in Belgium and they don't always do things by the book.

tiredemma Sat 04-Aug-07 16:04:31

I remember the feeling well!

growingbagpuss Sat 04-Aug-07 16:08:06

Belgo- I am half tempted to accost a stranger and ask them to go into Boots for me... = but knowing my luck they'd either be painfully honest, or bloody pg themselves!!

belgo Sat 04-Aug-07 16:13:34

someone told me bio yoghurt on a tampon, I've never tried that, but I understand your desperation at this stage of pregnancy!

belgo Sat 04-Aug-07 16:14:35

btw I'm not a midwife

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 04-Aug-07 16:15:07

or, when pharmacist asks if the medication is for you, say no. They are hardly going to call you a liar, even if they might think it a bit odd that you are buying it for a friend.

flipflopper Sat 04-Aug-07 19:42:44

When i was overdue I got thrush and went to buy some canesten pessaries from the pharmacy, they didnt really want to sell it to me, but I insisted as I had had some prescribed a few weeks previously and really didnt want to go into labour with thrush.

This was at a wekend too and didnt want to go to the OOH dr either.

Thankfully it had all cleared up by the time iu went into labour.

Could you get your dh to buy you some- not mention that you are pregnant?

Good luck anyway, hope it all goes well!

bristols Sat 04-Aug-07 19:47:57

I know exactly how you feel. I suffered in the same way. I was told that it was fine to use the pessary but not to use the applicator (the big long stick thing).

You have to get a friend/rellie/dh to get you some.

Good luck

flipflopper Mon 06-Aug-07 21:04:10

How did you get on bagpuss? Did you manage to get any, or have you given birth?!

skirmish Mon 06-Aug-07 21:07:23

they sell the pessary on the shelf near paracetamol etc in sainsburys now - is there one near you? and i've seen it in waitrose too

mears Mon 06-Aug-07 21:08:54

As it is now Monday, phone your GP and they will write you a prescription without the need for an appointment.

Alternatively send someone else you know for it.

You can use a pesary in late pregnancy - better to get rid of it for your own comfort.

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 06-Aug-07 21:09:04

i tried to buy canesten duo at 38 weeks but the pharmacist wouldnt sell it to me, i had my crisp £20 note in my hand ready!
i stormed, rather, hobbled out (i had rubbed myself raw in the night!) and booked myself an emergency appt. at the docs, then hobbled/stormed back in there with my prescription, slammed it on the desk and demanded 'the bloody thrush gear'.
her face was unforgettable!!

pmsl

LadyOfTheFlowers Mon 06-Aug-07 21:09:33

cost me nada too!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: