Talk

Advanced search

Lifting in pregnancy

(6 Posts)
Rainboe1 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:25:03

I went shopping earlier and the bag was so heavy, I'm 11 weeks pregnant and worry it can cause a miscarriage?

Eggcellent29 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:47:48

Hiya.

I was advised that the no lifting thing isn’t due to risk of miscarriage, it’s due to the risk of injury to Mum as our muscles and ligaments loosen during pregnancy, making sprains, pulled muscles, etc more likely

Hope this helps!

Kitten22 Wed 14-Aug-19 21:28:56

Agree with Eggcellent29, I hear it a lot that if u lift something heavy it can lead to miscarriage but I dont believe it. I heard that miscarriage is due to abnormalities with the process of creation. I wouldn't worry too much. The only thing u should worry about is injuring yourself if u lift something really heavy. So be cautious. I've seen pregnant women shopping and lifting grocery bags all the time. I'm one of them.

MissPollyHadADolly19 Wed 14-Aug-19 21:40:49

Miscarriage that early on is usually more likely an abnormality with the fetus and the body rejecting it than a cause from anything else, don't worry yourself.

Also as a piece of advice for the rest of your pregnancy, take guidelines as a pinch of salt until you have done research, otherwise you will never get a chance to enjoy the pregnancy itself.
Its very easy to become overwhelmed with all the dos/donts and your mental health will suffer as a result - relax and enjoy! smile

Rainboe1 Wed 14-Aug-19 21:51:06

Thank you all :-) yes that's helped

PuffsMummie Thu 15-Aug-19 11:34:35

The no lifting rule is not to avoid miscarriage, its to prevent the mum from hurting herself, due to the relaxin hormone all your joints etc are looser and so its easier to pull a muscle or hurt yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »