Talk

Advanced search

Thrush during pregnancy

(10 Posts)
AR23 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:46:21

Hi I’m currently 13 weeks pregnant and GP just told me I have thrush. I have been prescribed one dose of the canesten pessary but the doctor didn’t say if I should use the applicator provided or insert with my fingers.

Anyone used the applicator to insert the pessary during pregnancy? I called 111 and asked the nurse, she said if the doctor prescribed and didn’t mention anything then it should be fine to use the applicator. I made the mistake of googling and online and some women have said to use fingers during pregnancy. The nurse did say that inserting with fingers is ok but obviously there are germs etc on the fingers which is why the applicator is provided.

Can using the applicator hurt the baby?

melissa1215 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:07:38

I was given the pessary and applicator by the maternity assessment unit and they said it was absolutely fine to use and I'm 32 weeks along so you should be fine

AR23 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:19:50

Oh thank you so much for your reply! I will use the applicator too

dementedpixie Wed 14-Aug-19 19:27:03

Normally advised to use your fingers

dementedpixie Wed 14-Aug-19 19:29:00

Canesten website says:

If you are using the pessary to treat vaginal thrush during pregnancy it is recommended that you insert it with your fingers rather than with the applicator provided.

20viona Wed 14-Aug-19 23:16:19

My doctor said to use it as instructed.

AR23 Thu 15-Aug-19 00:37:38

Thanks everyone. I inserted about 2 hrs ago, fell asleep but literally just woke up to wee. It would have dissolved by now and not fallen out right?

PuffsMummie Thu 15-Aug-19 11:33:12

You're fine to use the applicator, baby is not within reaching distance.

And it wont fall out if you have inserted it properly, high into your vagina.

Also, hopefully this will clear the thrush for you but just to let you know, I've had it since about 15 weeks, now approaching the end of my pregnancy and all treatments (I've been prescribed a number of different ones) have only eased the symptoms temporarily before it returns, the last time I went to the doc about it I was told to pretty much deal with it, as they cant prescribe anything stronger. It's been the worst part of pregnancy for me sad

AR23 Thu 15-Aug-19 11:48:06

Hi PuffsMummie,

aww that sounds so crap. When I inserted it i felt some discomfort, it almost felt like i inserted the tablet sideways or something (inserted with fingers as midwife returned my phone call and told me to insert with fingers).

Then 2.5 hours later I needed to wee, and like 1/3 of the tablet was sticking out, i tried to push it back in but it kind of crumbled. So I think only part of the tablet actually went up.....ahhhh!

The instructions on the box say that it should clear up within 3 days, but I can still feel a slight stingy sensation (it's the next day now). Midwife said it doesn't clear up after 3 days, then I should go to the GP again (probably for another dose of the pessary).

Seeing as the 3rd day falls on Saturday, it means I probably won't see a GP until Monday (if it hasn't cleared up). I've had 2 miscarriages before (nothing related to thrush) so I was just worried if thrush can reach the baby/harm the baby, especially if mine doesn't clear up soon, I'll have to wait over the weekend before I can get any further treatment.

PuffsMummie Thu 15-Aug-19 12:06:34

@AR23 good luck, hope it clears up for you soon xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »