Talk

Advanced search

Advice Please

(7 Posts)
Kitten22 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:28:19

Hi ladies,

I am a mum of 3. In my first pregnancy I've been diagnosed with pre eclampsia, but in my second and third I was absolutely fine thank God. This week I had a Obstetric appointment to see a consultant who prescribed me Aspirin to take throughout the pregnancy. The thing is, I already get frequent nose bleed since the start of this pregnancy (I dnt knw why, maybe hormones). If I then take the Aspirin chances are my nose bleed will be a lot more and a lot more frequent. I did mention this to the consultant but she asked me 'who do I care about more' which I felt was uncalled for.

I went to see my GP the day after and asked for advise and he said to take it but not the 150mg that consultant prescribed but just 75mg instead.

I'm now having doubts whether to even take the Aspirin or not. Does it even help prevent pre eclampsia? Anyone else in a similar boat? If not, what would you do?

PotteringAlong Wed 14-Aug-19 16:30:29

Do you have a medical degree? No? Then follow the advice of your consultant. If you’re just going to dismiss what they say why bother turning up to the appointment?

Kitten22 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:12:48

Well I'm 17 weeks pregnant still fairly early, didnt knw why I had that appointment and was told by the booking in midwife that I had to attend all the appointments in my hospital book. So that answers your question of why I attended. Also it's not about dismissing what they say it's about looking at the pros and cons before I make that decision as both my pregnancies out of the 3 were healthy without any medical intervention.

Framlingham2 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:19:27

@Kitten22 is it possible to get a second opinion ? This consultant doesn't sound very nice.. try and go back to the GP or midwife and demand to see another consultant. You're right in questioning things. Just because you don't have a medical degree, does not mean you can't think for yourself. Doctors are not always right and that's what second or third opinions are for.

genie10 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:19:04

Take the aspirin. It has been proven to help. Nosebleeds are very common in early pregnancy and more of a nuisance than a health risk, whereas pre eclampsia is potentially dangerous.

physicskate Wed 14-Aug-19 20:12:56

I disagree with potteringalong. It's your body. Listen to the advice and weigh it up. Know the risks of following to advice AND then of not following the advice.

Can baby aspirin prevent pre-eclampsia? Can pre-eclampsia harm you or baby? Can baby aspirin make nosebleeds worse? Can nosebleeds harm you or baby? You need the answers to those four questions and then you can make a choice.

baby1baby2 Wed 14-Aug-19 23:43:00

I had pre eclampsia with my first that came on in 34 weeks then turned to HELLP. For my second I was extra cautious about taking aspirin but I think by a certain week aspirin is then no longer helpful. Maybe it's 20 weeks. But ask your consultant. My understanding is pre eclampsia is so varied and just because you did/didn't have in other pregnancies doesn't mean very much. I trust you're in good hands with your medical professionals but no harm in asking questions

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »